Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome model and video! I think the butterfly should maybe have a more blue blu-team variant though? Oh also how did you get 3rd person camera viewing? I need to do that!
  • heinous
    Awesome model and video! I think the butterfly should maybe have a more blue blu-team variant though? Oh also how did you get 3rd person camera viewing? I need to do that!

i was afraid it would stray too far from the comic coloring. in any case, the body is paintable, so if valve wants to change the stock blue color, it can be changed by just typing a new number.

which 3rd person are you talking about? i used both replay and sfm footages. in replay you just click that one button, in sfm you just lock the camera to whatever you want to follow and fix a bit of clipping here and there.
  • heinous
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    @circle of friends
    I personally like to use "sv_cheats 1" , "cl_drawhud 0" and "thirdperson",while recording via external program.
    i forgot, yes i used that in the itemtest map.

didn't know about drawhud though, i can start using that from now on, thanks!
  • Norman3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Hi guys!

Does anyone know how to go about making a misc item that replaces a whole body part?
    I can't seem to find any tutorial or piece of information to point me in the right direction!
  • Jukebox
    Norman3D wrote: »
    Hi guys!

Does anyone know how to go about making a misc item that replaces a whole body part?
    I can't seem to find any tutorial or piece of information to point me in the right direction!

You mean like an arm or something?

I know how but it involves changing the texture of the character. Like if you want to replace the Soldier's head you'd need to edit the texture for the soldier, which would make every other soldier in the game have invisible heads.

Basically, you add an alpha channel to the base character you want the item for, where the alpha is white for what you want to replace. Then there are 2 qc lines you can add in the VMT which will make those areas invisible. Then you have the model rigged like usual. That's how Valve did the Zombie Skins.
  • Norman3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Jukebox wrote: »
    You mean like an arm or something?

I know how but it involves changing the texture of the character. Like if you want to replace the Soldier's head you'd need to edit the texture for the soldier, which would make every other soldier in the game have invisible heads.

Basically, you add an alpha channel to the base character you want the item for, where the alpha is white for what you want to replace. Then there are 2 qc lines you can add in the VMT which will make those areas invisible. Then you have the model rigged like usual. That's how Valve did the Zombie Skins.

I meant for stuff like the Blood Banker:
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Blood_Banker
    It's clearly not a mesh that hovers on top, it's replacing the whole upper body. Isn't it?
  • Jukebox
    Norman3D wrote: »
    I meant for stuff like the Blood Banker:
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Blood_Banker
    It's clearly not a mesh that hovers on top, it's replacing the whole upper body. Isn't it?

Nope, looks to me like it's just some mesh added on top. Along with matching up the textures well. You can decompile it and find out for sure though.
  • DigitalSprocket
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalSprocket polycounter lvl 9
    Jukebox wrote: »
    Nope, looks to me like it's just some mesh added on top. Along with matching up the textures well. You can decompile it and find out for sure though.

Well, you're both right!

I do have to agree with Jukebox, this mesh is just cleverly modeled on top of the existing mesh. However, there are cases that I have seen where the mesh would break through miscellaneous items if the limbs were not removed:

- I found out that the top arch of Flunkyware breaks through the Scouts shoes.
    - The whole foot is angled differently on the LongFall
    - And then there's this. :poly108:

Although I have never tried this myself, If you interested in finding out how certain parts are removed I'd start looking at one of the above's QC file.
  • Jukebox
    Well, you're both right!

I do have to agree with Jukebox, this mesh is just cleverly modeled on top of the existing mesh. However, there are cases that I have seen where the mesh would break through miscellaneous items if the limbs were not removed:

- I found out that the top arch of Flunkyware breaks through the Scouts shoes.
    - The whole foot is angled differently on the LongFall
    - And then there's this. :poly108:

Although I have never tried this myself, If you interested in finding out how certain parts are removed I'd start looking at one of the above's QC file.

The Zombie Skins use the methods I described above. The Flunkyware looks like it fits over the regular feet. Not sure about the Loafers though, it could possibly do the same thing as the Zombie Skins. It's promotional so I could see Valve bothering with 2 textures for it.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Certain meshes have 'removeable bodygroups'.

You can see this in the workshop importer. The last update made 50 more body groups (ie: we used to have glasses, hat, pyro head, scoot feet). Now we have badge, moustache, etc..
    Makes all misc more compatible because a moustache can go in moustache group not feet group or whatever.

The pyro head was the first 'bodygroup' when they made the last breath I think (actually the killing floor gas mask). The head was actually removed from the pyros mesh, and attached as an item.
    So then a lot of pyro head items became available.

Scoots feet were next with the Essential accessories. So now the scout model doesn't actually have feet. So none of the boots overlap. If something is wrong with flunky ware it has nothing to do with his feet clipping through.
    Again, the long fall replaces the scoot feet bodygroup.

The zombie skins could quite possibly use an alpha channel to remove bits. However it is unlikely any other items will be done this way.
    The zombie skin works because that misc replaces the entire skin, it's only been done on the halloween update and it probably takes some valve scripting magic... which at this point the beta importer doesn't let us do. So no gold star, most likely no in game. It's also halloween time only.

The character skins are very large files (1024x2048) and Valve wants our textures at 256x256... So if your misc replaced parts it would require a huge texture to be included.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    electronic-fox polycounter lvl 8
    Here is my latest project. It stated as a simple idea, but now I'm taking it further.

meet_the_rc_a_t_by_mrmikeymike-d6lca8t.jpg

sentry1_by_mrmikeymike-d6le00f.jpg

[VEROLD]522a13d96eb2d40200000619[/VEROLD]

The R-CAT, a replacement to the sentry in Engineers Loadout.
    Although un-upgradable, this machine is a little more powerful than the regular Level 1 sentry, and fully mobile. It is not autonomous like the regular sentry either, but must be controlled by the engineer from anywhere on the map (leaving engie vulnerable whilst operating). The Helipad/base looking thing is a reload/repair station.

I need to re-work the base, I dont like it. I am currently working on a deploy animation.

--Edit--

I have started on the deploy animation. This is not my strong suit, and its still pretty rough.

Her is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbIFBuf-vKE&feature=youtu.be
  • heinous
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    I considered that, but it needs to remain vulnerable to the spy, and Im giving this a fixed flight height to avoid it being overpowered and too easy to flee with so damage on contact would be easy headshots all round.
  • Jukebox
    I'd give it at least little nub feet so it isn't so awkward when it's trying to take off. It really sticks out to me that there aren't feet.
  • Korby
    I'd suggest putting hinges on the blades so they have more movement while the thing is setting up.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh, I like the hinge idea.
  • emrfish6
    Is Halloween time yet?

pumpkinbomberworkshoppromo1.png
  • DigitalSprocket
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalSprocket polycounter lvl 9
    emrfish6 wrote: »
    Is Halloween time yet?

No but it sure makes me wish it was! Wow, those pumpkin bombs look fantastic. I give you a severed hand of approval :thumbup:
  • Evil_Knevil
  • br0br0br0
    Finally completed my first tf2 item! Workshop link is below, appreciate any votes :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=177516715

fLhgz1k.jpg?1
  • nano393
    Got some halloween items.

4onG4

4onFG

4onEP

4onF3

4onxB
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    FFC36735BC342F92C91BC2C03B89D0B0F6B2F71E

676ED8174E446507D337C258F043785D09EF02D1

Model and texture by Bapaul, original concept by me.

Your votes are appreciated!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great stuff guys!

I'm trying to get up to speed with the pipeline to get models in-game and since there is so much invalid/outdated information out there I'm having a lot of trouble.

Can anyone point me towards an up to date workflow?

Here's where I am at specifially...

I used the source sdk > itemtest workflow to successfully (at least thats what it says) compile my .obj and .tga files.

However, when I run the game > workshop > test map > press f7 > Add headgear > select model > I cannot select the .mdl file I created. Basically I navigate to the default path it creates with itemtest (C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\bradmyers82\team fortress 2\tf\models\player\items\demo\0x02c13dd1\test)
    and when I click open nothing happens.

So, I tried to simply place those files created in itemtest in the "common" folder, (since it wants to navigate there anyway it seems) instead of using my steam name path. So I placed the files here specifically... C:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\materials\models\player\items\0x02c13dd1\test

Once I did this I could actually load the model, however it wasn't appearing with a texture at all (it was entirely pink). I'm guessing I can't just paste the files here and everything will magically work correctly.

It seems like no one is having trouble getting stuff in, so where am I going wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!
  • NickNitro
    Hey all,

This is my first post. The reason I joined poly count was to join the TF asset creation community. I am currently a 3D artist doing military training and simulation in FL. I really want to get into game asset creation and figured this would be fun practice that could potentially lead to my models being used in TF2!

I read the requirements over on the Valve page but wanted to know if anyone had pointers. I see that they usually don't take your normal maps for hats, correct?

What else can we make that can be submitted? It seems like no weapons, but people are making companion type models for characters? Saw some little bots for the Engineer, and a seal for the Heavy lol
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest I could do with some help on this workflow as well, I've been trying 2 days to figure this stuff out, I can get a mode into the game, but it wil not find the VMT texture file.
  • br0br0br0
    Had these exact problems these past few weeks.

I'll describe the pipeline I use for initial testing, but I'm sure other with more experience would have a better.

Exports as .smd / save texture as .tga > run game > workshop > publish new item > import > pick a class > add exported .smd as high lod > add .tga in skins window > hit preview.

At this early stage using the previewer is normally enough for me, but if you want to use it on the itemtestmap you can add a placeholder name/backpack icon/lods and click verify. It will actually compile it all for you and spit out a .mdl that you can then open through itemtest using the method you described above.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well at least I know I'm not the only one! Seeing all the awesome work on this thread, I was starting to think I might just be retarded. lol

br0br0br0: I don't fully follow you on the instructions for getting it in game via "Test Map", but like you said I'm sure someone here can easily articulate how to do it.

BTW, I should have mentioned in my post above that I CAN easily view the model with the model viewer ("Launch HLMV" after the model has been compiled with itemtest) and the textures and stuff look correct. Its really just a matter of getting it compiled to a directory where I can actually open the .mdl file in the Test Map.

[EDIT] I also googled around and did read that you can change the output path for "itemtest" However, that caused a lot of other things to break for people and I really don't want to risk digging myself a deeper hole if there is a better way now.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, I was digging threw this huge thread just going backwards page by page and I read someone wrote this comment
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Estavos View Post
    Hello! Where I can get new itemtest? Or ammm...
    @Baddcog, where you create this preview? Help please.
    Launch TF2, go to Workshop > Publish New Item > Import beta tool

So I tried to import with the tool there in the game itself (btw, I would have never guessed that you had to hit the "publish your file" button considering I am just learning this and no where near ready to publish anything) and anyway, its stupid easy to get started there.

Not trying to bitch or anything, but we should have something something stickied to the first post in this thread with all the up-to-date info. Relevant info is so buried here its crazy, and the web is just filled with old garbage advice.

Here is my test hat, a broken tutorial I started last week...

tf2_screen_01.jpg

p.s. One bit of advice if making hats... You need to have the bip_head bone selected along with the mesh you are imported, when exporting to smd. Otherwise you will get a Error in preview 'ERROR: unknown attachment link 'bip_head'. This was a small snag I had when importing the .smd with the new import tool.

[Edit] I was just reading back on br0br0br0's comment and it makes sense now. He did point me to the correct place, I just didn't realize it! :(
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Ok, br0br0br0: Your comment makes full sense to me now. I managed to get it in the test map as well, without much difficulty. Thanks Dude!

tf2_screen_02.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff guys!

I'm trying to get up to speed with the pipeline to get models in-game and since there is so much invalid/outdated information out there I'm having a lot of trouble.

Can anyone point me towards an up to date workflow?

I used the source sdk > itemtest workflow to successfully (at least thats what it says) compile my .obj and .tga files.

There's your major issue right there. you are using the old compile method.

Open TF2, hit the workshop button and the new importer will pop up.

Input your files correctly and it will basically walk you through every step. by the time you hit compile your item is in game and workshop compatible.

Go into item test map and navigate models>user name> whatever to your model folder.

There is a tutorial on Steam under workshop. I tried to find it for you but there is basically no search function for guides on steam and one million people writing guides :(
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    br0br0br0 wrote: »
    Had these exact problems these past few weeks.

At this early stage using the previewer is normally enough for me, but if you want to use it on the itemtestmap you can add a placeholder name/backpack icon/lods and click verify. It will actually compile it all for you and spit out a .mdl that you can then open through itemtest using the method you described above.

You don't need a place holder name. If you do just put a partial name:

ie: Skullhat, just use skull. it will reload the same items everytime you open workshop and type skull. But the folder will be made everytime you compile : skull01, skull02, skull03...

Then when you are ready to submit just name it 'skullhat' and it will make a folder for that, OR update the already named Skullhat.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Baddcog: Thanks for taking the time to further explain this!
    There is a tutorial on Steam under workshop. I tried to find it for you but there is basically no search function for guides on steam and one million people writing guides

This is exactly why I was bitching earlier. There really should be a go to place with all the latest information.

there is this... http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/

But even there they point you to the sdk itemtest compile method that doesn't work. The "Good" information out there is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. Maybe I'll put in a request for an up to date info page in this forum section...
  • br0br0br0
    Ok, br0br0br0: Your comment makes full sense to me now. I managed to get it in the test map as well, without much difficulty. Thanks Dude!

Glad you sorted it :)

Yeah I guess things must have changed fairly recently and the tutorials have yet to catch up.

It's nice seeing your things in game for the first time isn't it :D Feels really rewarding, especially when you've spent time trying to figure out all the import stuff.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog: Thanks for taking the time to further explain this!

there is this... http://www.teamfortress.com/workshop/

No prob...

No, that's not the one. There is an actual user made guide that has pictures of all the in game beta compile tool parts and explains all the inputs.

But like i said, actually finding it on steam, ugghhh
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Baddcog wrote: »
    No prob...

No, that's not the one. There is an actual user made guide that has pictures of all the in game beta compile tool parts and explains all the inputs.

But like i said, actually finding it on steam, ugghhh

Do you mean this?
    "Get dem Gold Stars! How to : TF2 Import Tools"

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148063940
  • NickNitro
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums. I started to do a Heavy prop model. I'll have something up in the next day or so. This is a really cool place.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ YES!!!!^^^

Everyone should bookmark that
  • Corvalho
    Name suggestions anyone?

showcase.jpg
  • Sims_doc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
    Corvalho wrote: »
    Name suggestions anyone?

showcase.jpg
    I don't normally do names but the grave robber works..
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    I have since updated my R-cat design, and even managed to get it into SFM and the Steam Workshop.

tumblr_mt87u5JTlF1qdvgxqo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mt87u5JTlF1qdvgxqo2_r1_1280.jpg

Now I'm stuck though. It has been suggested that I go with a robro-style approach to this, allowing the rcat to follow engie around, like a little, low power support turret.

I figure I can work out how to do this by looking at how the sentry and robro are scripted, but I cant find where their scripts are. Would anyone here know where to look?
  • heinous
    the robro is just a jigglebone.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Halloween Snaggletooth!

kry2.jpg
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    HALLOOOOWEEEEN! :D

Sadly very few people are catching the homage on this one:

FVGK2WC.jpg

And I'm surprised that this silly idea is getting some support:

xiWD5UT.jpg

Working on a few more Halloweeny items.

Also, bump so EmAr's cool item doesn't get buried on the last page:
    EmAr wrote: »
    Halloween Snaggletooth!

kry2.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    How could they not get the hellraiser ref? The name (if not the item) is a dead giveaway

Kid's these days. I just noticed the other day there are 3-4 more hellraisers than I ever saw.

The pyro is cool.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    EArkham wrote: »
    Also, bump so EmAr's cool item doesn't get buried on the last page:

• electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    heinous wrote: »
    the robro is just a jigglebone.

Thanks for that little info-nugget, saved a lot of time of random searching (This is my first tf2 thing so I never know about jigglebones).

I've managed to get it as far as being a useless adorably tiny flying sentry-pet, I just need to figure out how to make it target and shoot stuff like a good little sentry-pet, and Valve dont seem to make it easy to figure that stuff out.

heres a little video of its current progress.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXx3662I6A&feature=c4-overview&list=UUG4Rm6pvn5duk8sAIXraKHQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZXx3662I6A&feature=c4-overview&list=UUG4Rm6pvn5duk8sAIXraKHQ[/ame]
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's a tough one.

On the one hand it's a pet and other than getting assists (and now counting points if strange) pets have always been a visual items only.

So you gotta wonder how they'll look at that. Coming straight out of spawn with a built sentry/ people being confused visually (is it pet or weapon).

Of course scripting, moving sentry aiming at moving targets...
    But you never know, they might like it enough to include it, but most likely you'd need to have working scripting.

There are very few submissions anything like this. The mini-sentry is the only one included i can think of so far. And it's just an animated object, scripting isn't that far off from a regular sentry.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea is to have it as a constructable building, not something you spawn with, but again, its finding out how to do this that poses a problem.
  • heinous
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Woo, I learned Source Filmmaker today! I hope these help me get some more votes :icon60:

m87p.jpg

76cl.jpg