Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Amon - The Legend of Korra [Character]

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Popol interpolator

LATEST UPDATE

amon_beauty02.jpg

As a big fan of "The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" I decided to make one of the main characters.

So here's what I've sculpted so far of Amon!

Amon_wip01.jpg

And here's my main ref (sorry for the low res but that's all I could find that wasn't stretched):

tumblr_lx9es4gyrT1r8q9cco1_500.jpg

Replies

• jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Love avatar/korra so ill be following this thread =D Few things I've noticed, the shoulder pads look wider in the concept and the pants are a lot more bunched up. Cant wait to see more =D
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    jfeez : Good to see another fan of this amazing show! =)

I finished Noatak's face and Amon's mask. For the face it was really hard to get the right sculpting style that would give the same feeling as the anime. I was very inspired by Hazardous' Space marine, so big thanks to him! =)

Noatak

Amon_wip02.jpg

Amon

Amon_wip02_bis.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Color test + some proportion fixes on the face :

Amon_wip03.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! I wanted to do a 3d model of this guy at one point, he's such a cool character. Looks like you're doing it justice.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Shiniku : Glad to see you like it! =) Yeah, this character was so cool and impressive. I hope the texturing will turn ok too as the sculpting is almost done.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man I cannot wait for Korra Book 2 to start this month. There just wasn't enough episodes last series but that could be a good thing. Anyways enough of getting side tracked.

Your progress so far is great but I'd address a few design points now such as the coat tails and shoulder pads now so it doesn’t affect your sculpting in the future. By splitting the coat tails into two pieces you can than understand where your creases and folds need to go. As for the shoulders I'd move them out a bit (especially the tips) so its breaks the line on the shoulder up and it reads better as a separate piece of fabric.

As for the shoulders I would make some suggestion but the hood will cover that area up so you can get away with it. The head is pretty solid so far but I'd like to make a suggestion of moving the brow down as you can tell from the ref image below he has a heavy set brow.

Amon%27s_scar.png
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Di$array : Haha, I'm so stoked for season 2 too! =D Thanks for your critics!

So I pulled out the shoulders, brought down his eyebrows, split the coat tail and sculpted his hair and hood pulled back.

Next step, retopology!

Amon_wip04.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    While doing the retopo of the face I though it would be cool to model Amon's face with his fake burns too. So here it is !

Amon_wip04bis.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Most of the retopo done (still need to model the low of the scarred face).

8.5k triangles so far but I haven't optimized anything yet.

Amon_wip05.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Done with baking and made my texture base.

I tried to replicate the texturing workflow described in the DotA 2 texturing guide as I wanted to bake a lot of lighting information in the texture. But the "point light map" was quite disappointing so I got most of my lighting info from the green channel of a world space normal map and a cavity map generated from the normal.

Amon_wip06.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Almost done with texturing!

C&C welcome

Amon_wip07.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, man! I like how it turned out.

Somehow I wish the features of the mask were a little more crisp/menacing. This is pretty accurate, but a little too friendly. I think the eye holes should be wider/thinner, and flatter on the top, overall more angular. I think the cheeks of the mask should be more gaunt and angular. There's never any linework indicating this, but if you look at how it is shaded in the show you might get an idea of it.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey Shiniku, thanks for the imput!

Made the changes to the eyes to get this menacing look. Looks way better =)

mask_corr.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Making some props for Amon. HP of the microphone done.

mic.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Popoi you are knocking it out of the park. Really love the final outcome as well as the addition of the microphone as a set piece.

I've taken a couple of seconds to do a quick paint over of the mask as I think a couple of small tweaks will really push the piece further.

2woyr1f.jpg
    If you cannot read my handwriting (don't blame ya) I'll run you through it. I think by making the eye slits wider you'll get a more sinister looking mask, You could go even go one step further and add a black plane behind the eyes of the mask so you cannot see his eyes until you want to for a close up or what have you.

I think the nose could have a bit more of a point to it as it smooths out into the rest of the mask around the alar fibrofatty tissue area.

I've also sugguested to widen the mask to hide the hair and ears.

Lastly I though it would be best to break up the symmetry by altering the shape of the hood so it bags down on one side.

Hope they suggestion may help but either way its a cool piece and you should be happy with the progress.
  • Spikings
    Really love this thread, the best model of Amon I've seen yet. I'll just vote for keeping the hood symmetrical, as it seems more structured and made of thicker material. The paintover makes the cloth look more frail and thin, and not so good for rainy weather.

Otherwise, keep up the awesome work!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Di$array : Thanks a lot for taking the time to write me some feedback, I really appreciate it! Although I'd like to keep the hood symmetrical I agree with you about the mask, especially the eyes. I really want to give him this sinister look that characterize Amon.

Spikings : Thanks for the kind words! =)
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Small update : microphone done

mic02.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Some more progress on the environment to make a nice beauty shot for Amon.

screenshot2.jpg

And here are the flats

_floor_diff.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Wish I had more to say, but this is looking good! I'm looking forward to the final result.
  • Rokugan
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    Terrific work! Can't wait to see more progress :D
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Thanks guys =)

I'm currently working on a good pose for the beauty shot. I've been kinda slow these days because I switched to Blender from Maya & Max. Had to learn how to rig and skin again ^^
  • polyStix
    Hey Loic !
    Love your work dude :)
  • SoulWind
    Offline / Send Message
    SoulWind polycounter lvl 11
    As JFeez said, I love Avatar, so this fanart is perfect. Microphone is gorgeous.

I did an Avatar fanart piece and it remains my favourite project to date. How does this rate for you?
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    SoulWind : I saw your Avatar fanart, it's some serious texturing skills you've got there, I loved it! For me this project was a lot of fun as I got to learn how to make a 3D character from an anime character.

Here's the beauty shot with Amon unmasked. Still struggling to find a good composition for the masked version.

amon_beauty02.jpg
  • Sear
    Offline / Send Message
    Sear polycounter lvl 7
    Looks awesome man :) really liking the model, texture work and composition, you have done really well :D.

For a masked composition I have 2 suggestions.

The most common being - http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/Amon_5948.jpg
    Or, one I really like :) - http://i.imgur.com/Y8WcM.png

Hope this is helpful at least a little bit :P

Good luck!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Sear : Thanks for the suggestions! I really like the pose in the first picture. More complex poses are often tempting but most of the time when I'm done posing it feels off and makes the character look bad. So I think I'll go for a basic pose this time too ^^
  • Comoglio
    I really like how this has come out, you've really captured the style of the Legend of Korra, but I feel that his hair needs to be a bit more longer to match how he looked.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work man!

I had been thinking about creating this dude as well.. But never really had the time to start it. So much projects going on.. Wish i could freeze time.

=P

Anyway Maybe try using a cell shaded look, like the cartoon? might be interesting to see how it holds up.
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Comoglio : Thanks. You're right about the hair, they should be longer. I noticed that after the bake (waaaaaay to late), so I just had to let it go.

bb0x : Thanks for the kind works! Haha, I wish I could freeze time too and have the time to create every character from The Legend of Korra in 3D =D

It was rendered in Marmoset, where it's not possible to make a cell shaded look, there's already a black outline which to me is enough to give this cartoon look. And I'm not planning to bring this into UDK to play with the shaders as I don't really like it (that's the main reason I make my renders in Marmoset ^^).