Home Technical Talk

Share your nice eye anatomy, reference and tips.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Croftyness polycounter lvl 11
I always find it awkward when making the perfect eye. Does anyone have some experience to make life easier?

Replies

• alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    If you find eyes difficult, Digital Tutors do quite a few series on creating eyes. The ones I know of are

Sculpting human eyes in Zbrush
    Creating realistic human eyes in photoshop and 3DS Max
    Texturing animal eyes in Maya

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, I haven't done much with eyes personally but I thought I'd let you know about these at least.
  • Mark Dygert
    Here are some things that seem to pop up quite often:

Being "anatomically correct" on "low poly" eyeballs by indenting the iris can actually do more harm than good:
    EyeHateYou.jpg

This indent throws off the specular highlight so often people try to fake a cornea by throwing another transparent sphere over the top of everything. This creates another problem especially if the cornea has an "anatomically correct" bump modeled into it, that will no doubt clip through the eyelids at some point. Not to mention throw off the center of the eyeball making it harder to rotate properly. /slow clap

OOOO so realistic, such a good use of polygons... I love how it accurately captures the indented iris and the semi-transparent watery cornea and how it accurately warps the light! So real it hurts! /end sarcasm

Leave it convex unless you have a parallax shader or maybe a normal map for the indented iris and bumpy cornea.

At 3ft away no one is going to be critiquing your non-concave iris but they will notice the eye bag clipping and the anatomically correct cornea clipping through the eyelids.

Also don't do egg shaped eyeballs, they are very difficult to rotate properly.

As an animator I do like having control over the iris, so it can be worth it to have a few supporting loops in there for deformation, but that really depends on the engine and if the animation will even call for it.
    Eye.gif

Bottomline: It really depends on how important eyes are to your game, how close you'll get and what kind of tech budget your studio wants to throw into creating eyeballs, there are a lot of different ways to do eyes and it really depends on a lot of factors.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    head-fig3.jpg

eyes are not straight forward looking, so if you ever struggle with cross eyed characters, double check that - also the usualy diameter of an eye is 24-26mm

double check your data, otherwise tiny cross eyed Arcturus Mengsk will come to get you!

ZBrush-Character-Creation-Workflow-from-Blizzard-6.jpg?resize=640%2C360

on another thought by mark, "anatomical correct" is more like cg fake nice looking iris

eye-anatomy-2012_650.gif
    the iris is flat or bulging out slightly but doesn't bulg in ever, but the way it scatters light makes it look like bulging in
    THIS IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WITH A WEAK STOMACH! http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Labs/Anatomy_&_Physiology/A&P202/Special_Senses/Eye/CAT_EYE.htm

iris.jpg

most modern games i worked with used parallax shader maging and actually bulging out geometry to resemble the cornea shape more and let shader magic do the rest, also stuff like reaction on light Mark showed was done in shader often.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    no need to learn anatomy, just buy a 3d scan like this one:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-accurate-scan-girls-head-model/599584
    and auto retopo...

on a serious note, this might be of help:
    http://www.anatomyforsculptors.com/?menu=9&sub=27#body
    go to the head section, and check the secrets tab.

also this book is pretty good:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Complete-Guide-Drawing-Head/dp/0823003590/ref=pd_sim_b_10"]The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head: William Maughan: 9780823003594: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]
  • Eric Chadwick