Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Corridor [UDK]

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone,

Here's a personal environment I've made a while back in UDK.

I've used 3DS Max for modeling, Photoshop for texturing

sci_fi_corridor__udk__by_amirabd2130-d6by92tjpg

a close-up shot of the door:

sci_fi_corridor___close_up_1__udk__by_amirabd2130-d6bya7ejpg

and here are some of the modules I used:

sci_fi_module___floor_by_amirabd2130-d660y1jjpg

sci_fi_module___support_by_amirabd2130-d66d6cujpg

sci_fi_module___door__udk__by_amirabd2130-d6b6kzrjpg

sci_fi_module___wall__udk__by_amirabd2130-d69drsjjpg

Replies

• vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    I love the detail and how it all fits together.
    The yellow details fit great with the blue/purple lights.
    Personally I think the light may be a little bit to much blue currently, seeing that your models are actually black. But other then that great work.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Nice modeling! However I'm not a huge fan of the edge wear and the strong blue lighting. You should take a look at Racer's texturing tutorial or some of the ones in the Wiki. The scratches look forced and fake. As for the lighting, I think you should tone down the blue and let some of the smaller lights on the wall assets illuminate more of the scene, and maybe break up it up with more than just one color.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    A lot more spectacular and gloss and a tiny bit less noise
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    A lot more spectacular and gloss and a tiny bit less noise
    And a dash of fabulous!
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    From a lighting point of view... I'd try to work some warm lighting color contrast into your scene to add some visual interest.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    LMP wrote: »
    From a lighting point of view... I'd try to work some warm lighting color contrast into your scene to add some visual interest.

I agree with this. You have so much geometry and interesting shapes but none of it shows because there's no real distinct light source being used - even though you technically have them in your scene. All those hanging wires and jutting cylinders are asking to get hit by a light.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all for your comments and feedbacks.

I'm gonna redo the whole scene in UDK from scratch, it seems I didn't do much before :D
    will work mostly on lighting and postprocess effects.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, here's the 2nd version of the scene.

What changed:
    Lighting: completely re-done (Red/Yellow/Blue lights)
    Materials: added reflection and gloss, enhanced Normals and Emissives
    PostProcess & Effects: added custom PostProcessChain, added LensFlares, added BokehDOF, added ChromaticAbb, Vignette, enhanced AO, added HeightFog

What an experience! Learned a LOT! :)

sci_fi_corridor_v_2__udk__by_amirabd2130-d6m3p7h.jpg

sci_fi_corridor_v_2__udk____close_up_1_by_amirabd2130-d6m3pml.jpg

sci_fi_corridor_v_2__udk____close_up_2_by_amirabd2130-d6m3p89.jpg
  • Benkeeling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benkeeling polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there,

good work so far, just a few things I noticed

• Overall your scene looks very noisy, this seems to be because of the sheer amount of detail, scratches and scuffs etc, you need to try and think about whether these scratches make a lot of sense. In your last shot the console looking pic, you have very deep scratches which would have been caused by something large like a knife, you would really have to scrape something like that to get a scratch that deep. Make sure they make sense, edgeware and scratches often occur on parts that are moving, so if someone was plugging in those blue cables over and over again and occasionally they might scrape the sides and edges of the connections.

• Subtlety is key, having edgeware and scratches is a nice look to go for cause it can add a lot of character and story to your environment, but try and think about the overall picture, it may look good on one individual asset to make it dirty/scratched/beaten up etc but when you combine several of these assets into a scene it ends up looking messy. You want to pick and choose what you detail out the most. Think about the focal point or key assets in your scene, they would probably be used the most and therefore have the most detail.

• Be careful of effects such as lens flare, to many can be distracting. Again Subtlety is key.

With regards to lighting

1. Don’t put loads of small circular lights everywhere, make your lighting functional! Try and use it to guide the player, maybe have some longer lights which guide the player towards the door.

2. With lighting think about your focal point. A good exercise is to have just a plain grey texture on everything and this can help you to pick out the key shapes and areas.

3. I found in the past completely deleting all the lights can often give you new ways of thinking and can provide a better lighting solution

0YTBiqJ.jpg

I did a super quick paint over to illustrate my point; it’s in B&W so it’s a bit easy to understand, I tried to show how you could lead the player with some longer lights on the floor, and by lighting up the door it gives the player more direction. I also like the idea of having some lighting from in the pit to the left. This way you can nicely highlight the machines on the left, and give some nice rim lighting from below.

I also darkened a lot of the roof and a few sections on the right so that you could see how adding less detail means the scene works better as a whole.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Ben