Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Female Lancer character

B-Cinos
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
B-Cinos polycounter lvl 8
this is a piece/ project I'm working on partly for my portfolio and just to practice the process(I'm kind of wondering whether it would be better to have this in the sketchbook section instead but it is meant to be a concept art piece/ project).

As the titles says she's a female lancer, 20's, wields a lance/ elongated spear/ pike/ halberd type weapon.

i started by making some general moodboards to kind of follow in regards to her character look, weapon use and environment. though this stuff may change somewhat depending on feedback and whether a design crops up that doesn't quite reflect the moodboard but looks quite good.

i think the main thing to note is that i kept it quite open, not stating what region/ culture she would be from and left it open as to experiment a little with several possibilities for the design.

here's the character moodboard
Yrzo96b.jpg

the environment moodboard
cR1cLin.jpg

the weapon moodboard
4MaI9OT.jpg

from there i made some silhouettes, some were freehand, some i blacked out some reference photos i had(don't worry i believe they are royalty free) and drew on top in order to get silhouettes to see if that would help me and others see the figure better and quicker. if you are wondering why some have detailed weapons and others have just sticks, it was mainly because i realised after some of the first silhouettes i did that the weapon and what it looked like would likely reflect the attire and so i didn't see much point in blocking them all out individually until that was more set in stone.
oBXHHYP.jpg

i also did some thumbnail designs, i found it a little harder to do properly as i couldn't just fill in space quickly and had the think about the shapes and details a more.
5ttpucR.jpg

as usual feedback is welcome and appreciated.

it is also on the conceptart.org forum if you feel more comfortable chiming in on that forum, or want to see what they are saying if anything.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=270914&p=3714843#post3714843

Replies