Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Night Elf Underground Temple (Hand Painted)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
Hi there,

During the summer (and beyond) I decided to create a piece of environment art for my portfolio and since I want to get better at hand painting textures and love that style I decided to give it a go.

I started out with a cave but then wanted to give it more of a function and settled with it being an underground night elf temple with a moon well in the centre that is the only place that gets direct moonlight from above.

I'm still working on improving the rocks to make a convincing wall and ceiling and the centre still needs a lot of work, but I thought I'd share my progress for you to point out problems and give feedback if you want =)
nightelfCaves04Moodboard.png

9413318597nightelfCaves01.png
nightelfCaves02.png

nightelfCaves03.png

Replies

• Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I like it :) Atmosphere is looking good and liking the plants painted into the pillars. Some of the crystals could emit that blue light, which might break up all the purple a bit. GLHF!
  • Ranko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    looks nice, I would simplify some of the shapes a bit. When looking at it as a whole it looks really busy, kinda hard to focus on any one thing. I would also tone down the fog and maybe focus it to a specific part of the scene, for example maybe its coming out of a hole in the rock or just laying low to the ground instead of being evenly spaced across the whole scene, makes it look washed out.
  • Prism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree on the fog, there's not really a focus point at the moment but i'm sure you have that planned already. Making something stand out by lighting fog/clear, crisp/blurry etc. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The hand painted textures are really nice.
  • vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    It's looking good.
    I love the way you use your colors.
    It's indeed maybe a bit same tinted right now. A few color accents would really make more of an focus point.