Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge August 2013 (10)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge August 2013 (10)!

Join our Skype group too if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.

You don't have to join the skype if you don't want to though, you don't need to ask to participate or anything, just start doing it and post in this thread!

This month's concept.
CLVInFb.jpg

While this is handpainted, feel free to approach this however you like, if you want to sculpt it, go for it. It's up to you, as long as you are learning then it doesn't matter right?

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers,
if you only want to do a few props as best you can, go for it! This way you can work on building up to a full scene.

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

When you are just starting out making a scene can seem complicated or imposing, so break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible plan it out, a lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some refs as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.
Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:
Try to do one crit for every post you make, this will make for a better learning environment and help us grow as artists.

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used, but feel free to use any.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Good Luck!

PS
Check out our new sister challenge the 2D Noob Challenge we are test driving now!

Replies

• Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    W00t!
    In! Haven't finished a complete scene so far but oh well, here goes nothing.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Very pretty concept but... What's holding up that big stone chandelier? the window???
  • ambethia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango wrote: »
    Very pretty concept but... What's holding up that big stone chandelier? the window???

Magics!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    ambethia wrote: »
    Magics!

Magics indeed.
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    My body is ready. I'm in.
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yessss!!!! I'm in.
  • hikagesan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hikagesan polycounter lvl 18
    Been out of environment art for a while now, but this seems like a great opportunity to refresh the skill set. Looking forward to it.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    King Mango wrote: »

Haha, I have to admit I laughed out loud at the fact that you chose to point out the chandelier, which could conceivably be anchored by something out of sight, but seem to be completely fine with the giant blue crystal that's just suspended in midair. :D
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Yo Im in this month! And I will finish before the end of the month this time =D
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I think I'm in! Hopefully I'll finish this one, but this one seems pretty perfect for me, since I LOVE handpainted style. I already started the breakdown and texture planning.
    It would make such a great portfolio piece, loving it!

Have fun everyone!
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome choice, will be partaking in this one (starting now)
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce wrote: »
    I think I'm in! Hopefully I'll finish this one, but this one seems pretty perfect for me, since I LOVE handpainted style. I already started the breakdown and texture planning.
    It would make such a great portfolio piece, loving it!

Have fun everyone!

Cannot WAIT!

At work atm, when I finish I will blockout this badboy!
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    I'm in !!! I really like the hand painted style and i want to make some environment in this style for some weeks
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
    Seems fun, I'm in! First Noob Challenge for me. Im not going to do this hand painted, on the contrary, I'll try to make it "realistic" looking. Haven't decided if I'm using UDK or Cryengine yet.
  • Khaja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm loving this concept. I'm in :D
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    So I'll start with showing off some preparations I did:

I startet off with a texture breakdown:
    qYbnrbj.jpg

followed by a scene breakdown:
    iox21sX.jpg

And colors:

Vg6b7HN.png

Next:
    Texture planning and blockout

Beside that:
    Does anyone know the artists name/portfolio/deviantart... sincce there's just a nickname.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    So I'll start with showing off some preparations I did:
    Does anyone know the artists name/portfolio/deviantart... sincce there's just a nickname.

http://masaki.cghub.com/
  • BobtheGreatII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    This is sweet. I would love to get in on this.
  • Nick G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having really hard time to start this one.
    Would you guys make the room as one piece of geometry or try to tile some geo too?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Would you guys make the room as one piece of geometry or try to tile some geo too?
    I'd definitely do it modular and re-use geo wherever possible.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Ah great you decided on that concept! It's gonna be a ton of fun : D

I'm doing this in Cryengine again... don't know how it'll hold up with the hand painted textures.

Anyway I took some time to get a basic blockout in engine after a brief analysis of the scene. Will make an other pass at it today and then start working on some rough textures.

basic_blockout_by_nitroxart-d6g4xqr.jpg

The room itself it's pretty strange by the way. It's kind of based on a hexagon and the split of the roof coming from the 2 side pillars is kind of made up.

The lower section keep going in a circular fashion, but what should have been the other half of the dome goes in a straight wall. The floor on the other end is still circular for all the room.

I think that in my final scene i'll have the room being made of a square volume going into an half cylindrical one. Half dome and half barrel vault for the ceiling.

Also the outer walls goes in a dome shaped celing too, so they're actually 2 nested domes o.O this place is an architectural hell xD
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    Nick G wrote: »

A good chunk of being an environment artist involves shameless copy-paste (as long as it's your own work obviously :P ) I'm not quite sure if that answers your question.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    Nick G wrote: »

Well this scene has a lot of space for modularity but being bascially a circular room it's gonna be a little awkward to divide meshes... you'd still end up with a lot of piecies that' can't really be reused.
    Modular set approcahes are good and all but you still have to consider the pro and cons for it.
    Where would you be able to reuse for example a 30° wide 2 meters circular wall?

I for one will be making tiling textures and assemble the scene in large meshes in max and not snapping pieces in engine. I haven't really planned it but it's going to be something like floor - outer walls - central platform - pillars (probably merged with the floor) and the cieling.

For the floor i'll be using 2 textures, 1 for the main cieling piece, 1 for the outer walls. And probaby a shitload of one-way tiling trim textures for borders, rails and stuff.

So basically Modular textures, but not modular meshes if that makes any sense :D
  • Kharon Alpua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should take a stab at this. Every time I try to do environments I get too concerned about scale and small details, and never finish blocking the whole thing out. Posting to sub and, hopefully, keep my focus.
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    As I've mentioned before in the previous challenge I won't be able to take part in this month's but I do really like the concept and the art style so if time permits I may just do a piece or 2 just to have a go at something different.
    Look forward to seeing everyone's work, seems to be a popular choice and could be quite a few people this month
  • antszy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to start on this! Thanks for putting it together every month :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    wow this one is complicated may just sit back and watch
  • Inkalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have yet to participate in a monthly challenge yet because I have been real busy with school. But now that I am in finals and can work on my stuff at my own pace, I think I can tackle this as well. But I'm only going to do the center piece. Need to focus on my portfolio first :)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    yuwXFx.png

Welllllll this one will be though....
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm not sure if i will finish in time with all my travel plans but I ll DO IT :D, its different than my usual favourite sci fi stuff. Though can you please change the name to novice challenge or beginner challenge? :D Cheers
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    I'll participate in this too! Should be a good learning curve for me.

What I plan to learn:
    -Hand-painted Texturing
    -Glow maps (and other effects)
    -UDK lighting
    -Modular asset building

Here's just a brief blockout to help me understand the shape of the room and how to approach it all.
    blockout_by_petro_hawczak-d6g5ell.jpg
  • Eavin7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made an account just to participate in this. I'm ready.
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Ill try to finish a version of this, looks like a fun thing + I love handpainted stuff.

Ive been lost in the roof´s space for a while trying to understand how big it is and how much it slopes.

Will be interesting to see how ppl will texture and light this.

Here´s my progress so far.
    noob_challenge_handp_wip01.jpg
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Hmmm... I'm really swamped at work, but I do like this concept a lot!! To Enter or Not to Enter... That is the question? Hmmm...
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    This is what I have so far in my block-in. 3Rfwv.png

I noticed that the perspective in the concept it's pretty disturbed from the start of the dome upwards. The little dome that the light comes in is actually impossible to be seen if you place a camera like the one in the concept for example.

So I'd advice against trying to follow this concept's perspective 100%, cause it will only give you headaches.

Also, to match the concept dome I had to make an 8-shaped dome, divided in the middle by the arc you can see in the concept. url]http://puu.sh/3RfJ2.png[/url
  • Klash-120
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    Weeee. Wished I had the time. I still plan on finishing last months' MNC now...
    Busy busy~
  • _Montee_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Montee_ polycounter lvl 8
    this looks like a really nice concept to do! I may join in on this on. :)
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Soldeus wrote: »
    I noticed that the perspective in the concept it's pretty disturbed from the start of the dome upwards. The little dome that the light comes in is actually impossible to be seen if you place a camera like the one in the concept for example.

So I'd advice against trying to follow this concept's perspective 100%, cause it will only give you headaches.

Also, to match the concept dome I had to make an 8-shaped dome, divided in the middle by the arc you can see in the concept. url]http://puu.sh/3RfJ2.png[/url

Yeah the concept has a couple wonky parts, at least as far as I can see. The arch cuts the main dome in half but the smaller dome with the chandelier coming out of it appears to be completely round (not a semicircle). I couldn't ever get it to line up correctly with the Crystal and the circular platform in the middle of the room unless it was also cut in half by the arch.

This kind of makes sense as to where the chandelier is hanging from as it could just attach to the arch instead of levitating in mid air. I tried to block it out that way, might change it but for now here's where I'm at:

mj3v.jpg
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    I think I'm going to fake the perspective whenever I need to, I will approach this environment as if It was just for beauty renders and not playable. Not going to bother aligning things that are not going to be seen in the final render as long as they work and look like the concept, like, for example, the chandelier, which can't be aligned with the small dome, as you just said.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are all kinds of challenges with the perspective and the layout. Curious to see how everyone is going to tackle it. I can already see a few different ideas.
  • VisanCosmin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what i done so far,i want to put the pillars in zbrush an sculpt themdasda.png
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Beside that:

Someone should email him and get him to send us an HD version =)...I may enter this month, I believe I will have some time for it finally, good luck everyone!
  • steppan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    Wow can't believe how many blockouts there are already, good stuff. I'm a little surprised that there has not been many scene/texture breakdowns considering previous challenges had several pages full of them
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Guess who just got his first studio job? This guy! This will be a fun scene to work on this month. I haven't handpainted something in over a year so this should be interesting.

Here's my (partial) block in

dfsdfcsdcs_by_julionicoletti-d6g8mpr.png
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    -message deleted- I misread something.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Guess who just got his first studio job? This guy! This will be a fun scene to work on this month. I haven't handpainted something in over a year so this should be interesting.

Congrats on the job. Where'd you end up?

Neat block-in too.
  • Arod529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is my first attempt at an environment. I got a paint over to separate geo. I plan on making it highly modular. Also got a basic scale block out. As I was trying to set up the block out, I really started to notice how wonky alot of the perspective in the image was. Instead of trying to match it, I'm attempting to create what the environment that image is presenting.

CrystalEnviroGeoPain.jpg
    CrystalEnviroBlockou.jpg

Critiques Below:

MrOneTwo, may I suggest looking a little closer at the image? It appears to me that you have merged two separate sets of pillars.
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    yuwXFx.png

Welllllll this one will be though....

JamesArk, that is one clean looking block out. Gonna have to take some ques from it.
    JamesArk wrote: »
    mj3v.jpg
  • ZweiBonobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZweiBonobo polycounter lvl 5
    909036blockout.jpg
    My block out, for now
  • Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    eY9u7z3.jpg

Here's what i did today gonna be away for the weekend, so I'll try and catch up next week