Home General Discussion

90 Day Lifestyle Change

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
shabba polycounter lvl 15
My bad habits have recently been spiralling out of control and I need to reign myself back in to a healthier, happier me. A few of my friends, and my wife have already jumped on board and agreed to do this with me for the next 90 days.

When I'm eating well and active, I not only feel better about myself, but I have more energy for everything. I do more things with my wife, I can work longer without losing focus. The benefits are numerous!

So all this is, is a committment to eat fresh, healthy foods, exercise regularly (30-60mins of cardio a day, and weights 4 times a week), and avoid any other vices you have. Soda, sugar (minus fruits) and beer are three things I'll be cutting from my diet.

I have created a public google doc spreadsheet for anyone who feels they need to make a change. Please feel free to enter in your starting weight, measurements, and goal weight. Every two weeks on Sunday there is a check-in day column where you will weigh, and remeasure yourself and enter those values into the corresponding date.

Please do not tamper with other peoples goals/weights etc.

Each check-in day I'll be posting an update on here, and using this as a discussion thread for anyone struggling to stick to what they set out to accomplish.

I took my measurements and weight today. I will be starting the 90 days tomorrow (July 23rd), if you read this late and still want to join thats ok! Just enter in your starting measures, and then start posting at the next check-in date. Its not a competition, its strictly a support group and a place to hold yourself accountable.

Hopefully people are interested in doing this with me! But if not thats ok. I still have a small support group on the side. Just wanted to see if we can help anyone else kickstart themselves to a better life.

Here is the link to the Google Doc:
Polycount 90 Day Lifestyle Change

TLDR:
- 90 days to change your bad habits and reach your health goals
- Join the Google Doc and enter in starting values
- update those values in the corresponding dates every 2 weeks
- Join late? No problem, just start using the current columns
- Polycount 90 Day Lifestyle Change
- Starts: July 23rd
- Goodluck!

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome I ventured alone doing this last year so I know all about the ins, outs and struggles people will be facing.

I reached and achieved my goals and wouldn't mind helping anyone that needs help if I can afford the time. I am not near anyone from PC but whatever I can do to help I wouldn't mind being approached, be it questions, pm's ect about what I did to over come an obstacle or loosing interest, ect, ect.

Good luck ladies and gents you are in for one hell of a ride and if you jump into the nutrition of food you'll see a lot wrong and it will be ...well... interesting to say the least at what you find out.

This is awesome shabba I hope a lot of people take you up on your offer I might also jump on just to reach a new goal for myself.

I can promise you all right off the bat though that you guys will not regret anything about doing this!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    There's the Belly Off Club thread.

You should post your routine and diet, some links to things of that nature. Some people may not have a clue where to start.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Do it! My wife and I really strive to eat and live healthy and it really makes a difference.

You should start doing Yoga regularly, it is amazing. It makes you sweat like crazy and wakes you up and boosts your mood immediately.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: @Lamont As I was writing this post, you mentioned that. I will definitely put up as much information as I can on my plan. Hope this helps!

@D4V1DC: I know I'd definitely like to hear about your previous successes, and how you achieved your goals!

@Isaiah Sherman: Thanks for the encouragement! I hope other people do too. I've always wanted to try Yoga, there is a Moksha Yoga studio right near by my place too. I'll let you know how it goes!

My Plan.

Cutting Out:
    - Soda
    - Sugar (fruits excluded)
    - Beer/Alcohol

Routine:
    Cardio 6 times per week (medium/goal)
    - running 5km until I can do it without stopping sub 30mins
    - rowing 10km at 2:00min/500m pace without stopping

Strength Training (Main exercises/ Goal)
    - deadlifts (1RM 500lbs)
    - pullups (20 pullups w/o dropping)
    - bench press (225lbs x 5reps)
    - squats[/url] (1RM 385lbs)
    - clean (1RM 225lbs)
    - snatch (1RM 205lbs)
    - push press (1RM 225lbs)

Foods:
    - Paleo foods in Zone diet quantities
    - To expand on this a bit and give an overview of how the two work together and how i'll be using them:

"Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, no sugar. Keep intake to levels that support exercise but not body fat."

Paleo foods are really anything natural that a caveman would have had access to, that they could kill or forage. There are some strange exceptions in the list, but typically you avoid things like Dairy, Grains, Sugar, Legumes and can eat as much meat protein, vegetables, and starches (I will only be consuming sweet potatoe for starch).

Fruits are also allowed... but a wise man once told me "You have to earn your fruit." So I will only be consuming an apple or banana POST workout.

Zone Diet is a fairly simple diet (thats why i like it alot) and it encourages you to actually eat food unlike most other diets. So the zone diet uses this idea of "Blocks". In the link there is a chart that you use to figure out how many blocks you get at each meal or snack. For example, I am 226lbs, lead a fairly sedentary lifestyle, so I would be considered a large or extra large male. That means that I get 4 blocks at each feeding time.

So the way the block system works: Each type of food listed has a measurement value associated with it. That amount of that particular food equals 1 block. Example: 1oz of chicken breast = 1 block of Protein

At each feeding I need to consume 4 blocks each of Protein, Carbs, and Fat.
    Example Meal:
    - 4oz chicken breast (protein)
    - 2/5cup of mashed sweet potatoe (carb)
    - 1 1/4cup broccoli (carb)
    - 1 cup green beens (carb)
    - 12 almonds (fat)

So the goal here is to only eat Paleo foods, in the quantities of the Zone diet. Refer to the links above for more info!

Video Links:
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZkGazuoVGM"]deadlifts[/ame] (1RM 500lbs)
    - pullups (20 pullups w/o dropping)
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Mvyt4pBQQ"]bench press[/ame] (225lbs x 5reps)
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYMqN6vveB0&list=PL641BD94D52222BA8&index=12"]squats[/ame] (1RM 385lbs)
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAXpz3rjJT0&list=PLDD09CA8D13A75B70&index=27"]clean[/ame] (1RM 225lbs)
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBqw4CozPI&list=PLDD09CA8D13A75B70&index=21"]snatch[/ame] (1RM 205lbs)
    - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1YD6081QXs"]push press[/ame] (1RM 225lbs)
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is what I do. I have two routines depending on what is asked of me:

185cm/79kg.

Reg workout - 0615 I do a 6km run 4 days a week. Takes about 30 minutes.

At gym 2000-2200: 2 hours. 5 (Wed/Sun off) days a week.
    • First 20 minutes is stretching of arms, legs, shadow boxing.
    • After the above warm-up, I go to speed bag for 4-5 3 minute rounds with 30 second break in between. When this is
    • done for sure I am breaking a sweat.
    • After, I go to heavy bag for 5 rounds (3 min each 30 sec break). Nothing crazy, not punching hard, but punching consistent, just doing combos and watching body position. 1-2`s, 1-4`s, 2,1,2`s etc.
    • 2-4 rounds of in ring 3 min/30sec. Whatever the trainer feels he wants me to work on.
    • Footwork, skip rope work, shadow, movement. 4-5 rounds of this.
    • If I have match or sparring, I do not have time for the footwork. Sparring/match is 4 rounds 3 sec rest. So I put into practice what I missed in my workout.
    • Ab workouts 60, 60, 60, 60 of each muscle group.
    • Heavy bag again for stamina (working on whatever I am feeling I lack in)
    • Sometimes weights, if I do mostly shoulders/arms/back.(Will start chest more later)
    • Weekends I go for 1 hour 30 minutes. I nix the footwork. Usually sparring and drills.

Diet -

I always try to limit what I eat. Some boxers crash for a diet to make weight. I like to maintain and train at my fight weight year round.

In the winter I watch more of what I eat because it is hard to work it off. Basic intake per day is sub 2000 calories. That is not a lot. Weekends are kinda like a day off. But I eat things like tuna, salads, minced meats, rice... whatever. I`ll have a pie/cakes every now and then. Some times I will eat two huge hamburgers w/fries. For drinks I have tea, juice (500ml), water. I just try to not over-do it.

Now I am prepping for a fight, so my diet is sub 1100 calories per day Mon - Sat. It keeps me at my weight. I am quite use to this. So I work and sleep like normal.

Today I had:
    • breakfast 200ml milk, 2 bananas, blended with fresh pineapple and oatmeal.
    • Lunch will be 200gram of tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet) or chicken, juice(500ml 140cal) and 1/2 salad w/soybeans or potato salad.
    • Diner juice/milk tea 400-500ml.

After Aug 10 I will change my diners to tuna and salads, going to work on chest buildup. Morning will be the same (easy to do), lunch, I will stop doing 1/2 portions and just do full.

I do not have a car. I walk everywhere. At home I will do shadow for like 30 minutes or so off and on.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One very simple piece of advice that has been working wonders for me : rather than counting calories or making convoluted diet plans, simply get into the habit of splitting every meal in half *before* starting to eat it. Yup, even at restaurants. Then once you reach the end of the first half, ask yourself if you really need that second one. 90% of the time, you actually feel full already - then simply save the other half for a late afternoon snack/early dinner.

This is an extremely easy way to control one's diet, while keeping it balanced. And from there on, since eating less for lunch prevents bloating and food coma, you'll naturally be more inclined to work out more often. Easy ! (now of course it is a given that crappy food and sodas should be avoided, but that kinda goes without saying.)

On top of that I do light cardio every morning and evening by simply riding a bike to work, and hit the pool at least once a week. I know I should do more, but that would be hard to fit in the schedule.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna do swimming to replace running twice a week. But... no pools are open when I need.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont, what kind of boxing is it you train for? Is that regular? I've always wanted to try boxing, i've heard its amazing for health and fitness. Not to mention actually learning how to throw a proper punch.. Your routine is very strict it seems.

Would you mind expanding on the movements you do for abs?

Pior, I like that idea for portion control! I'm definitely going to try it when I'm not at home and able to weigh what I'm taking in. Thanks! I've never really considered swimming for cardio, but I gym at the YMCA and I know they have public pool hours. So this might be something I try too!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Shabba, you set yourself up for failure already. You`re starting today, yet you`re coming to a polycount meetup on saturday? And plan on cutting out beer and booze? HA!

:P In all seriousness though, good job! Im joining. Ive fallen outta the routine recently as well. But man. 10km rowing at 2:00/500m pace? That's tough! Rowing is what I do when I exercise. Right now I can barely keep that pace for 5 minutes, and BARELY hit the 5k mark in 20 minutes last time I rowed. But I love rowing. I have one of those older machines that is just a giant fan with one tension setting. I find it much harder than the ones I use at the gym, even when they are on the hardest tension.

Not sure if the goal weight is for the 90 days, or over all, but I set it for the 90 days. 50lbs loss.

Cutting out: Pop (even diet)

Cutting back on Beer (cept for the PC meetup). Switching to mostly vodka and G2 (fantastic drink with low calories... AND it helps avoid hang overs! Seriously, try it).

Exercise:
    Rowing at least 4x a week for 20 minutes minimum.

Sleep: Go to bed before midnight. That means turning the tv off as well. No more staying up till 2am on a work night watching movies. Class days excluded because sometimes class goes past midnight. Nothing I can do about that.

Food: Im not one for specific diets. I find they dont work for me. So Im going to just say no more fast food. Subway is allowed once a week as a treat. not a dietary staple. besides that, its all portion control. eat what I want, but smaller portions. And no food after 9pm.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha.. damn! Lets call it off!

I'll do as you did "Beer(cept for the PC meetup)." A nice little addendum.

Oh thats awesome that you Row. I know 10k at 2/500m is going to be tough, I was trying to set difficult 3month goals. (might be too hard..) I used to row awhile ago on a C2 rower at the Y. So I'm hoping I'll be able to get back into it. Its great cardio!

My goal weight is for the 90 days.
    I like your approach better because they are more rules/guidelines you'll be able to continue with even after this. But I think if I'm not strict with myself, I'll bend my own rules too much. Goodluck Slipsius! And see ya saturday!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Amazing, Pior and myself have the exact same habbits: bike everywhere, split meals in 2 and swim after work. I'm naturally skinny and do this simply cuz I like it.

I've also stopped drinking milk over a year ago, insta-gift for my stomach.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    That's awesome man. My wife and I finally started to focus on our health this past January. It was somewhat of a new years resolution, but I told myself it was a lifestyle change...not just something to do because it's the beginning of a new year.

My starting weight was 220lbs and I'm now down to 200lbs. I'm 6'2, so this is an okay weight...but I'd really like to be at 185lbs. Both my wife and I have plateaued the past 2-3 months, so I'm pretty convinced it's our diet holding us back. We've been doing P90X the past 3 months and it demands a lot out of us, so we don't slack on the workouts. We workout 6 days a week from anywhere from an hour to almost 1.5 hours. Not sure if anyone is familiar with the P90X workout, but it covers all grounds. Cardio, strength training, high interval shit and they mix in some kenpo. We just finished that up literally yesterday, so we're going to be taking our measurements tonight...so hopefully they wont disappoint or I will go into all out raGE! haha...I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories each workout..so it's pretty intense. Some workouts, I literally have to squeeze the sweat out of my shirt because it's completely drenched.

For our diet, this is typically what I have on a dialy basis:

Breakfast: Grilled cheese or eggs or cheerios. Yea, not that great for the most important meal of the day...gotta switch that up.

Lunch: Sandwich on wheat bread with turkey or lean roast beef with american cheese and mustard. A few (15-20) pops chips (low in calorie alternative chips..really good) and 4-5 wheat ritz crackers with peanut butter.

Dinner: We tend to have a lot of "croc-pot" meals that always has chicken. So with all meals, we have on average 1 chicken breast each with either 1-1.5 cups of brown rice -OR- black beans with corn. We love these two recipes so we don't deviate away from it too much. If anyone wants those recipes, lemme know! Also, when we dont eat those meals, we opt out for subway. I get the 6" steak & cheese on wheat with mustard. And on nights when we don't want to cook or go anywhere, I just eat a sammich.

We also stopped drinking soda all together. I drink mostly water, but just started buying "Mio." No calories and really good. My favorite is Berry Blast...shit is good soN! On Saturdays, we have our "cheat days" where we just eat whatever. BuuuuT, like I mentioned earlier...something has to change in our diet. Feels like we're just breaking even for some reason. I suck when it comes to dieting so this is entirely new territory for me. I've always been skinny as crap, so I'm having to learn all of this from new like I'm sure most of us are.
  • Hamish Bode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one Sean, that P90X looks pretty good! I'm with Pior on this too - biking is awesome. The industry is largely sedentary which can be super dangerous. Even if you work or live in a place where riding to work is difficult, that's good. The further the better!

If you're looking to cut something from your diet, I'd vote for the cheese. Actually, being vegan I'd cut out the meat too but I'm not going to get preachy. Cheese, like all dairy, is just fat with little else and not the good kind of fat.

I guarantee, drop the cheese (and dairy too please!) and you'll drop 5 pounds super quick.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba wrote: »
    Lamont, what kind of boxing is it you train for? Is that regular? I've always wanted to try boxing, i've heard its amazing for health and fitness. Not to mention actually learning how to throw a proper punch.. Your routine is very strict it seems.

Would you mind expanding on the movements you do for abs?
    This kind of boxer. Boxing/thai/mma for fitness, you drop weight like mad if you keep it up (3 days a week 1.5 hours each time + eating regular balanced meals).

Abs - I do 60 sit-ups, then do 60 for left side, 60 for right, then do it again with 10kg rocking side to side. Then have legs off the ground and do crossing motion with my legs and upper body off the ground. Sometimes we do this thing where we lay on our backs with feet in the air and have to lift our midsection to touch someones hand held above. Finally, I just hold 10kg and slowly dip to left or the right for 2-3 rounds.

I say do any sport. I felt I could not get into shape without a goal with a routine. If it was just "go to the gym" I would have quit a month into it.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Just putting this out there... Your body doesnt actually NEED carbs until Lunch. Its the only time of day it requires carbs. You shouldnt be having carbs for Breakfast or dinner. If you wanna see a change in your body, have carbs at lunch and thats it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    simply get into the habit of splitting every meal in half *before* starting to eat it. Yup, even at restaurants.
    That's a good trick. Its a good habit to slow down in general and you should take a small break at the midpoint and let your stomach catch up and tell your brain you are actually full. The stomach lags behind sending that signal making it easy for people to overeat if they are fast eaters.

So slow down and when you hit the mid point, talk to someone for a bit, take a small walk, hit the bathroom, do some sketching, or just stare at the ceiling, whatever, just give your body a few minutes to catch up.

Also stomachs are good at measuring volume not caloric intake and some aren't good at volume control if they've been stretched out. But what Pior said is a smart move if you're trying to cut portions down, just remember to take a break and let your body catch up and tell you its done.

I'm with shotgun in swearing off milk. If you look into it, most animals and people lose the ability to process baby food (milk) as they get older. The microbes needed to break it down, start to decline later in life unless you really keep up on your milk intake, its natural, we learn to eat other things.

If you take a broad spectrum antibiotic you'll do most of them in or if you take a break from milk for a few months, you'll kill them off that way too. You might also eat something else that goes to war with milk eating microbes killing them off that way too.

If you drink unfiltered beer you might line your gut and intestines with live yeast which will throw off the balance and make digestion a difficult process. YOu can starve it out or eat things that eat the yeast, just know if you have issues and you're an unfiltered beer drinker it might be a source.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one Sean, that P90X looks pretty good! I'm with Pior on this too - biking is awesome. The industry is largely sedentary which can be super dangerous. Even if you work or live in a place where riding to work is difficult, that's good. The further the better!

If you're looking to cut something from your diet, I'd vote for the cheese. Actually, being vegan I'd cut out the meat too but I'm not going to get preachy. Cheese, like all dairy, is just fat with little else and not the good kind of fat.

I guarantee, drop the cheese (and dairy too please!) and you'll drop 5 pounds super quick.

Good point man! Never really thought about just how much cheese I actually consume on a weekly basis. One-two slices a day + the cheese I consume on the weekends is actually pretty excessive. On our cheat days, we usually have like a hamburger (with cheese) or pizza (obviously with cheese) or BBQ (with mac & cheese.) So yea...starting now I'm cutting that out. Aside from that and an occasional bowl of cheerios in the AM, I really dont consume too much dairy thankfully.

Also, just throwing this out there as info in case someone has similar issues as I did...I developed really bad acid reflux from all the junk I was eating. I had to take a prilosec each day to help fight it off. I also was put on lexapro (to fight anxiety & depression.) Since working out, I feel so much better from the endorphins and serotonin that my body is naturally producing that I no longer need to take it. There was also something up with my GI tract and how my body was digesting everything. I had like crazy bubble guts all the time and even had a colonoscopy to figure out what was going on. The dr said I was clean as a whistle (yea..he actually referred to my ass as a whistle) and said he has no idea what was wrong. Since dieting, this has gone away also. Pretty crazy how all of that was remedied just from eating better and exercising. Huge life improvements that are worth your time.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I'm the heaviest i've ever been right now and my energy levels and focus are starting to tank horribly. I'm in. the spreadsheet is a great idea.

i don't have much time for a gym...so i'll be sticking to running and simple home workouts.
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    I might join in. I made similar changes a while back and have lost about 75 lbs so far. I'd like to lose a bit more, probably around 5-7 lbs, though I base my progress nowadays on body fat %. Simple changes made a big difference for a long time, but the last little bit has proven to be a stubborn bastard to work off. Plateau city.

Unfortunately I've come to realize that I really can't eat much of anything that isn't paleo-friendly, though I do still include certain dairy products. Very little bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. I've found that I am most successful when I have one cheat day a week. Any time I'm feeling tempted, I can just tell myself I'll eat the shit out of that donut on Saturday, rather than thinking "I CAN NEVERRRR EAT DONUTS AGAINNNNN." The ominous "NEVER" eating x or y is a little too depressing for me, haha! After satiating my sweet tooth, I feel a lot more driven about eating healthy food for the rest of the week. It works for me.

Before I started eating clean and exercising regularly, I had headaches nearly every day. I had dealt with them for as long as I could remember, and just accepted frequent headaches as a fact of life. Pop the advil, suck it up, and get over it; my life motto. Now I never have headaches! :D My hair and nails look better, my skin is healthier, and I feel stronger. I won't lie, this diet is strict and sometimes expensive, but absolutely worth the trouble.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel wrote: »
    ...I've found that I am most successful when I have one cheat day a week. Any time I'm feeling tempted, I can just tell myself I'll eat the shit out of that donut on Saturday...

hahaha...AwesomE! I'm the same way though. I'll have a couple of cravings during the week, and having that 1 cheat day is like a "reward." But yea, if I had to go my entire life without a donut or a freakin' cookie dough blizzard from DQ, I dont wanna live! haha

Just noticed there isn't a column for bicep measurements in the google doc. Seems like something worth keeping track.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    I do lots of exercise during the day, but troubles comes when am at home after work and eating junk... i tend to eat well for 1 day or two, but will eventually eat at Burger kings, McDonald's or pizza on a heart change thinking (oh don't worry i'll start dieting again next week etc, etc, etc).
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man some really good advices are coming out of the woodwork! Definitely seems like there is a general consensus to avoid dairy all together. I agree with WDewel on eating Paleo. It is really a change to avoid any item in a grocery store with a nutrition label.

I'm really happy to see a bunch more people joining in on this! Thats freakin awesome.

NyneDown: If you want to adjust the spacing under your name for more measurements thats cool too. Or you can add it to everyones, I'll probably just stick to measuring my core as I'm interested in dropping bodyfat and getting strong. So if I'm able to lift more and more weight, I would just assume my arms would get bigger. But if you wanna add it then by all means dude! Have at it :)

Lamont: Thats awesome man! I saw your sig said you work for Ubi Osaka! I loved Osaka when I visited Japan last year. It was such an experience. and the night life!!! Are you bilingual? How long have you lived in Japan?

I'm going for my run now. Hope the first day for people is going well! All this water has me pissing like a race horse..
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    That's dope man, Ive started hittin the gym recently to get on the swoll train and starting to eat healthier than normal, it makes your brain way sharper. I have been thinking about doing a 60 or 90 day challenge for pickup but don't know if my young tender body would endure going out and pimpin it hard 6/7 nights a week for 90 days (and attempting that without drinking at all....which would save a TON of money and eliminate that crutch) Ive seen some guys do it and it takes their game to a whole new level of social lifestyle and self confidence, as well as insane/hilarious stories of all types of shenanigans.

the health side of things is just like working out. when you start it feels horrible and lame and you want to say fuck it and go back to your old bad habits but after 2-3 weeks of self discipline it becomes almost a new set of habits, and you look forward to the gym and eating well because you feel the results.

oh and on the water thing, hell yea better skin and improved workout stamina by atleast double.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, shabba. I'll just add it to mine...dont want to be all up in others bizznass!

Good luck!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently took up fencing, and it's been a lot of fun and a great workout at the same time. So find something that appeals to you.
    Holy crap! Fencing!? How much did all the gear run you? That sounds like loads of fun. Is it here?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    slipsius wrote: »
    Just putting this out there... Your body doesnt actually NEED carbs until Lunch. Its the only time of day it requires carbs. You shouldnt be having carbs for Breakfast or dinner. If you wanna see a change in your body, have carbs at lunch and thats it.

strictly speaking the body doesn't require any carbohydrate at all to live / grow / repair / function. if you never consumed a single gram your entire life you'd be tip top

so long as you got your dose of fats and protein

would fully recommend going full blown keto ( remove as much carbohydrate ( sugars ) as possible from the diet. including fruit ) with intermittent fasting ( at least 16 hours a day ). then introduce carbs after you've dropped all your weight as treat and cheat days etc
  • tacit math
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Where is this information from? I've never heard this before.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'll throw in a vote for intermittent fasting. I tried it a few times and you DO drop weight. It just requires discipline and taking your mind off of food (drink water, etc).

The best part is that you're not really giving up anything since you can eat your normal amount of calories during your eating window - just don't eat MORE than what you need.

Working out on an empty stomach turns the body in a fat burning furnace.

Search for "fastingtwins" on YouTube. They are hilarious AND informative... I like advice like theirs since they've tried it and are talking about results they've seen in their own bodies.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I'll add a +1 to working out on an empty stomach, if you're looking to drop weight, can't really be beat.

Also, I recently went Gluten-free for medical reasons, and I have to say I feel amazing, and it forces me to eat better. I was having a lot of problems I didn't know were being caused by it, but now that I'm off I've already dropped 3 lbs (I'm already relatively thin, but not where I'd like to be.) It's not for everyone, but I'd give it a try for a month and see if you feel more energized/less bloated.

@WarrenM I've actually heard that too, no idea where from, but I've switched to trying to get my proteins at breakfast, carbs at lunch, veggies/lean protein for dinner, with fruits in-between, seems to be working, I have much more energy.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to start waiting to eat after my workouts based on your advices. Maybe that will stop my "I need to puke" feeling during my weight training.. :)

Can your body be addicted to sugar? Its only day 3 and the headaches I am experiencing can only be explained by cutting out all the shit food I eat. I'm still consuming the same amount of caffiene, so I am curious if these "withdrawal symptoms" can be caused by cutting sugar?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM"]Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbBURnqYVzw"]William Davis - Wheat: The UNhealthy Whole Grain - YouTube[/ame]
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tacit, man thank you for those videos. I just finished watching the Sugar: The Bitter Sweet Truth. That was an eye opener... Its astounding, shocking! But I really learned alot. Thanks

Knocking out sugar seems to be the smartest move I've made yet in this lifestyle change.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    My general advice is to build a routine and diet that you can live the rest of your life by. If you do something for 60-90 days, you can make some very significant strides, but without a significant amount of maintenance, those gains will be lost.

Furthermore, in the long term, you will hit plateaus every so often. Maintenance will be relatively easy when at a plateau, but you just won't get any gains. The easiest way to get past a plateau is to switch something up. Be sure to pay attention to your body, as some changes can have very surprising effects.

Another point is to know what your physical goals are. If you're looking to build strength, I don't recommend a low carb/fat diet. Low carb/fat diets will definitely allow you to drop weight quickly, but if you're doing anything other than low-medium intensity workouts, you're likely going to end up cannibalizing muscle mass in recovery.

Most importantly, educate yourself as much as possible. There is a lot of information out there, but not all of it may align with your situation and goals. What you eat, when you eat, how you sleep, when you workout, how you workout all make pretty huge differences in results.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Nice thread Shabba, i just had some questions about your athletic background: Do you have prior experience with powerlifting or olympic lifting, or serious weight training of some kind?
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One: I'm definitely trying to infuse this 90 days with lifestyle choices that I will turn into habits. So definitely couldn't agree more with what your saying. And I hope thats what other people are attempting to do as well. Forming new habits has to be the most difficult thing... "Old habits die hard"

Dfacto: Thanks :) Hope alot of people join in! Already tons of good info popping up. A couple years ago I started Crossfitting, and attended some power lifting seminars from Olympic coaches. Did those movements pretty consistently in Crossfit, and after I left, I've been incorporating more of the core movements (Deadlift, squat, bench, clean) so I've kept that up for awhile. The past few months though I've been working quite hard to impress a client, and completely lost touch with the gym, eating like shit etc. But yea I've done the movements before, but definitely not a pro...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where are you at currently with your lifts, if I may ask?

I don't know what routine you're doing. or planning to do, but I've found Madcow to be very effective for strength gains, and 5/3/1 is apparently quite good too.
  • Cap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap triangle
    tacit math wrote: »
    strictly speaking the body doesn't require any carbohydrate at all to live / grow / repair / function. if you never consumed a single gram your entire life you'd be tip top

so long as you got your dose of fats and protein

would fully recommend going full blown keto ( remove as much carbohydrate ( sugars ) as possible from the diet. including fruit ) with intermittent fasting ( at least 16 hours a day ). then introduce carbs after you've dropped all your weight as treat and cheat days etc
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Where is this information from? I've never heard this before.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/how-many-carbohydrates-do-you-need.html

His books are quite informative, if you have the spare cash I would give them a read. His site has a bunch of really great info too.

As for the intermittent fasting, its not for everyone, but for me its worked better than any thing else Ive ever tried... If you're interested in IF my rec would be Martin Berkhan's LeanGains.com site...great info there
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dfacto: There are some that I have no clue where I'm at. But these are the ones I do know since i've started this 90day thing.

Deadlift: Old max = 455, current = 405
    Bench: Old max 235, current = 195
    squat: old max = 385, current, 315

I've lost a ton in a few short months. :( Cleans and presses today, might even try a few snatches, but I might be pushing it.

I've always thought about doing the 5/3/1 Wendler program! I haven't heard of Madcow though i'm gonna give it a read now. Thanks!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your bench is quite low compared to your squat and deadlift, but overall you're probably a bit too advanced for Madcow, which is an intermediate program. 5/3/1 is probably the best choice, since everyone touts it, but if you're maxes have fallen significantly Madcow could be just what the doctor ordered. I put 20 kg on all my lifts doing Madcow for two months, and should fill out the last 10 kg this month (started bench/row/squat at 100kgx5, and deadlift at 140kgx5). 30kg (almost 70lbs) in 3 months, and it was honestly pretty easy most of the way! I'm feeling that it's getting significantly harder as I get towards the end, so 5/3/1 is the next step I figure.

Also I don't know how comfortable you are with it, but the snatch is kinda risky for what you get from doing it. Might honestly be better to just incorporate front squats into your routine and do power cleans.

EDIT: actually, come to think of it, my bench is probably too high compared to my squat and deadlift and yours is the normal one... not sure if my legs and back are shitty, or if my chest is an overachiever.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Thought of this thread after stumbling upon this:
    I will be documenting myself training traditional kung fu, every single day of the year.
    Notice, this is not meant to show skill, this is meant to show my progress.
    I think this guy's day job is as a web portal video editor (my impression from his twitter account).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jNonzA0w6g"]Week 1/52, Kung Fu 365 - YouTube[/ame]
    "All Weather Training"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcabyASNG3k"]Training everyday - YouTube[/ame]

"Raw Vegan Diet"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=podnGILD22Y"]Nutrition - YouTube[/ame]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    How's everyone holding up so far? Been just over a week!

I had a late start. Didnt really start the rowing i said i would till monday. Just finished my second day of it. Feels good to be back at it, as tough as it it.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    I've been making some changes as well. Had about 48-50 pnds of extra weight. I've seen some nice returns from increasing my activity while decreasing my food intake. My eating schedule is similar to IF as I only eat between certain hours(usually between 9am-8pm)I only eat twice during that time and try to keep it healthy. I've never really been into grains,pastas or junkfoods so, sticking to basic meat/veggies has been easy. I cut out sugar but every couple of days I have some in my tea. As far as activity goes;

At work-I walk 3 blocks plus 4 floors of stairs to the office. I try and take the stairs whenever we go for coffee or lunch/fresh air. I started doing pushups every hour or so- pushing for max every set. I keep a set of relatively heavy dumbells at my desk and try and do curls when not doing push ups. So far my collegues have been cool with it- as a few of them workout frequently. I try and continue doing pushups, sittups and generally anything I can for the rest of the evening. I try and do this everyday unless I feel my body is healing and then I switch to more cardio/legs. So far I'm down about 15 pnds in about 5 weeks- with pretty apparent strength/energy gains.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    TLDR; This site has helped me immensely lately http://www.bodybuilding.com/ It has a lot of 'serious' programs and advice, but also a ton of helpful tips and places to start for both diet and workout programs. I highly recommend it. In regards to your first post, don't burn yourself out. Start with say 3-5 days per week lifting, and 2-3 days per week doing cardio, and take a day or 2 off altogether. Don't try and do cardio every day, you'll burn yourself out and your body needs time to recover :)

I do monday - thursday Chest + back / Legs / Arms / Shoulders, then on saturday I do cardio, it seems to be a good balance.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So hopefully people have done their two week measurements and weigh in! I slipped up a bit on both weekends. Its tough avoiding those social situations, don't want to be 'that guy on a diet'...

Doing ok so far, focusing my efforts again. My biggest problem is avoiding snacks at work.

@Slipsius - It is tough! I am trying my luck at a new gym tomorrow, so I'll give a decent update on the weekend.

Dan! Thats some great progress with some simple changes. Good work sir! I love the strength and energy gains too. Keep at it! Fill out the Google Doc if you wanna stick with us!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing ok so far, focusing my efforts again. My biggest problem is avoiding snacks at work.
    Man, ain't that the truth? The break room at work is a freakin' minefield!
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, its the bottomless soda fountain machines and those cheap vanilla/chocolate cookies with filling. LOL why am I describing this, its making me crave it.

On a more successful note: I have accomplished a 12km run in 1hr:22min. Definitely not a world record, but thats the longest I've ever gone running for. Next up is my rowing goal, and I'll get to start working on that next week as my start at Crossfit has been delayed a week.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    having the 2 week mark hit on the day after a long weekend was a terrible idea... TERRIBLE IDEA...... Definitely gained. But I had a rough start. Im on track now though. And already lost most of what I put on over the weekend. Next 2 week mark, I should be down a fair bit. should be....
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I fell off the wagon!
    :( It always happens, I get on I jump off so don't worry slip It happens to everyone.
    Trying to jump back on but man have I been lazy going on about 3 weeks now. :(
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba wrote: »
    On a more successful note: I have accomplished a 12km run in 1hr:22min. Definitely not a world record, but thats the longest I've ever gone running for. Next up is my rowing goal, and I'll get to start working on that next week as my start at Crossfit has been delayed a week.
    If you are thinking of getting more out of running, take a look at cross country. I did it 2 years in high school, then I just kept running after.

Invest in some good shoes. It will save your back, feet and bring more comfort and improve your running.

Falling off the wagon, just get back on!!