Dota 2 workshop monthly unnoficial competition - July

Replies

• iRYO400
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on two weapons and counting for the contest..Bounchfx on 3D. Hoping to get a Dazzle one in too if time permits.

xsYEXZ8.jpg

4NAVXol.jpg
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    Calling this done!

harpoon_game_wip03_zps8e72d1b2.jpg

harpoon_game_wip04_zps9b71048b.jpg

Top image rendered in with maya dota shader - Only a marketing left image to do, then i'll submit and see what sort of response it gets!
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really nice in-game, pixelherder! Good Job!
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexDascal wrote: »
    Looks really nice in-game, pixelherder! Good Job!

thanks!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    agreed, looks great man!

hoping to get my weps done either tonight or tomorrow, they close!

weps_round1_wip2.PNG
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    OutworldHorns_001.jpg

I need to make the cracks bigger I think. Not too happy with them yet. Hopefully I'll get some more time later on.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , I finished 2 of my items for this months comp .
    Dont know how to add a link for my name ,but I hope this is enoguh to be added to the first page :)

Makeshift Boat club by mihalceanu

200x200.resizedimage

Hellthorns sword by mihalceanu

200x200.resizedimage
  • phrenetick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, i made this axe based on battle hunger skill, this is my second time modeling low poly, i hope you like it!

Battle Hunger Axe by Phrenetick

200x200.resizedimage
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Skeleton King Sword all wrapped up with a healthy dose of Tutorial.

This is my first attempt at a video+voice tutorial, fun to make but a little rough around the edges this time around. Many tricks learned in the process to layer on the polish for the next one though, which should be incoming anytime now :).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxzG9D9CoGo"]Modbox Color Map - Lennyagony - YouTube[/ame]

2CC07C562AC8278DADA4743CBE733316DFB61DBE

6DE85BC7397046ADC98D039329486818F2C25036

61EA8D2BA0BFA446A6341453AA33B1256720B825

sksword_lenny_06.jpg

sksword_lenny_07.jpg

Annd the required contest section.

Shattered Destroyer by LennyAgony / DoubleLeaf, Bel

200x200.resizedimage
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Fuck yeah - Lennyagony doing it right. Seriously dude, nice work (and DoubleLeaf/Bel too.)
    Great tutorial also!

edit

Why aren't you on that workshop service providers list yet??? :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Skeleton King Sword all wrapped up with a healthy dose of Tutorial.

This is my first attempt at a video+voice tutorial, fun to make but a little rough around the edges this time around. Many tricks learned in the process to layer on the polish for the next one though, which should be incoming anytime now :).
    You sound like a movie villain!

Anyway, good job! You could've split the uv a few times there, but it looks great anyway.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    lenny that came out beautifully! great job man. been meaning to do an item creation vid myself, I'm sure i'll get to it eventually. It's really cool seeing from the Mudbox side of the fence!
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lenny -- Great Tutorial! I don't even use Max or Mudbox and never have a color concept to work from, but I still watched and enjoyed the whole thing!

Although, I have to say. After watching your and Neox's videos, it has made me seriously consider begging one of the amazing concept guys around here for something to work from. I always struggle on textures, and you guys make it look so easy. :)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    my weaver item as it stands currently. lookin fer some crit before i submit it.
    B0BfT5H.jpg
    note: i haven't properly resized the textures yet (they're at 4x) so the automatic recompression is giving less than optimal results. just to nip that observation in the bud.

I'd like to try to get one more item in before the end of the month. a back piece for dark seer...shouldn't be too trying. i've already done a test run to make sure my rig idea for it works. concept incoming. maybe.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    reverendK wrote: »
    my weaver item as it stands currently. lookin fer some crit before i submit it.
    What is that, exactly?
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome Lenny!!

Well I thought I'd contribute to the contest and just sketch out a chest perhaps the less work valve has to do the more likely we are to get our own chest?

DireChest.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    DoubleLeaf wrote: »
    Looking awesome Lenny!!

Well I thought I'd contribute to the contest and just sketch out a chest perhaps the less work valve has to do the more likely we are to get our own chest?

DireChest.jpg

Looking really cool doubleleaf! :)

Maybe add an edge at the front top spike, like you did on the bottom.
    Looks a bit weird now.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks really nice doubleleaf! I hope they go for it. There's gonna be a lot of nice stuff in this thread by the end of the month, that's for sure. hell, there already is!
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    that's really slick looking. although yeah there is something mysterious going on with that perspective.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vlad - i wanted to give him a little mix of armor with the standard carapace. also going a little for making it look like a larger head...insect intimidation tactics and whatnot. i think i need to play with the colors a bit still, though. it's kind of not reading.

and doubleleaf...it' awesome as usual.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Fuck yeah - Lennyagony doing it right. Seriously dude, nice work (and DoubleLeaf/Bel too.)
    Great tutorial also!

Cheers Prophet!

You sound like a movie villain!

Anyway, good job! You could've split the uv a few times there, but it looks great anyway.

Movie Villain, that hasto be the best compliment ever :angel:

bounchfx wrote: »

lenny that came out beautifully! great job man. been meaning to do an item creation vid myself, I'm sure i'll get to it eventually. It's really cool seeing from the Mudbox side of the fence!

Thanks bounchfx, iv been on the fence about doing video tuts for few months now and definitely glad i took the plunge. You should give it a go not only is your work incredible but once you get setup for video its pretty quick and when its flowing enjoyable too.

Sadly it looks like we have ended up doubling up on hero's, although from the looks of it they are pretty far apart when it comes to design and hopefully wont bump into each other to much :)
    7thBattery wrote: »

@Lenny -- Great Tutorial! I don't even use Max or Mudbox and never have a color concept to work from, but I still watched and enjoyed the whole thing!

Although, I have to say. After watching your and Neox's videos, it has made me seriously consider begging one of the amazing concept guys around here for something to work from. I always struggle on textures, and you guys make it look so easy.

Glad you liked it 7th, and cant agree with you more and have found having a good concept to work from is a huge help.

And i have been tooling away on a weapon for Chaos Knight for the last little while,

DoubleLeaf created yet another absolutely killer concept

hFelUSB.jpg

Which i roughed out into a base that looked like this,

P9Zieyy.jpg

Which DoubleLeaf thankfully did a quick paintover on and i added the extra prong and a thicker head to make it more of a Mace/Sword hybrid.

lDrwNdh.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guennor : you can colapse any polys that dont contribute to the silhouette . you have to even them out. I see you have reinforinc edges ,yet the silhouette of the head is verry blocky .
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also = bridging the poly's across the eye socket rather than bringing them to a pole in the middle will save tris - unless you need a concave surface, which you don't.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    OutworldHorns_002.jpg

Almost done. I need to fix some stuff with the detail map where the horns connect to the head.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys , Im curently working on a slardar pole.

Idea and sketch from AlexDascal/Dusk,

I baked it all , gotta fix some issue on some simetry bake issues tomorrow .

2rdf6nc.jpg
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    That looks great, great use of the aquatic theme but still looks like it has some heft to it
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    First one up, a blade fit for an immortal king!

- - - - - - - - - -

Obsidian Cleaver by bounchfx and Oroborus

268x268.resizedimage
  • Mantra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Im working on a Broodmother abdomen. The basic idea is that her abdomen is a large vessel for her broodlings. Im done with most things, only minor tweaking left, but I feel something is missing, I just cant point my finger on it. If you have any suggestions they are very welcome.

BM-1st_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaos Knight wep wrapped up and submitted, I feel as though this one really made me work each step of the way. Reworks on the base mesh, holes in my highpoly from the mudbox retopo that i didn't notice until it was way to late, much time spent reworking the texture in photoshop after the initial mudbox paint didn't really match the characters style in game. Glad i stuck with it though.

No video tutorial tonight but ill make one tomorrow on something thats easy to backtrack on, most likely skinning and importing. In the meantime i recorded some quick in game footage to show the particles and glows in action.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3gbB92Frss"]Shadow Brand - YouTube
    [/ame]Edit: Added DoubleLeafs concept timelaps
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kfCMU7xK4A"]Chaos Dota 2 SpeedRun - YouTube[/ame]

DEA0BFE032BE29C53FE98745146FA32C8671B974

F6278AA04665E7D62749B93C14AA02311786E015

lenny_shadowbrand_06.jpg

lenny_shadowbrand_07.jpg

Shadow Brand by Lennyagony and DoubleLeaf

200x200.resizedimage

First one up, a blade fit for an immortal king!

Bounchfx, nicely done!
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Hey lenny, awesome weapon!. May I ask which software do you work in? Also, do you use smoothing group subdivision or good ol' support loops for making your base mesh?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Lennyagony wrote: »

Shadow Brand by Lennyagony and DoubleLeaf

200x200.resizedimage

This came out wonderfully! I love it.

It's a shame we did a double overlap in terms of characters this month (I'll be posting the finished CK wep tonight or tomorrow), but I guess that's what happens when me and double leaf don't touch base aha. Either way, our weapons are different enough I think there's something for each crowd. SK and CK fans should be happy either way :).
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Auspice of Iczoxtotec by Scuba Cat!

Idvm3qa.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus wrote: »
    Hey lenny, awesome weapon!. May I ask which software do you work in? Also, do you use smoothing group subdivision or good ol' support loops for making your base mesh?.

Thanks Soldeus, i work in 3dsmax, mudbox, xnormal and photshop. And I use smoothing group subdivision, although i do add the odd edgeloop when I need to control edge thickness in a few choice areas.

This came out wonderfully! I love it.

It's a shame we did a double overlap in terms of characters this month (I'll be posting the finished CK wep tonight or tomorrow), but I guess that's what happens when me and double leaf don't touch base aha. Either way, our weapons are different enough I think there's something for each crowd. SK and CK fans should be happy either way :).

Cheers bounchfx, and i agreed about the overlap. This mostly comes down to me being tardy with posting my wip shots, Doubleleaf had these concepts to me some weeks ago and iv been chipping away at the models ever since. Anyway i do really love the direction of your SK sword, top quality, very fitting style and definitely room for all 4 weapons to co exist.

hopgood wrote: »
    Auspice of Iczoxtotec by Scuba Cat!

Idvm3qa.jpg

this is awesome Scuba!

And in an attempt to post more wip shots im moving onto a helm for Invoker and possibly weapons for Bloodseeker or a helm for Razor.

Iv been chipping away at this Invoker helm for a little while now and have a few reservations about its current direction, Prophet gave me some quality crits last night, but i would really appreciate any additional feedback if anyone has any before i move onto sculpting.

Concept by the prolific DoubleLeaf

eFxeryT.jpg

SxP0SgA.jpg

pY58AV2.jpg
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys hopefully a chest concept helps

beetrootChan: I'll correct the perspective it was pointed out to me earlier. :)

Looks pretty damn good Lenny!

Also I think lenny forgot but I made a time lapse vid in case anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kfCMU7xK4A&feature=youtu.be
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0154FE1B6C9C2DBFB53A07990146D4DEB0C2DC99

gonna try to get one more done, then i'll post all 3 in proper format in one post.

double leaf - something's been bugging me about that chest. I think it's a bit too monochromatic. Looking at other chests there's usually at least a bit of gold/brass around the locking mechanism if nothing else - you might break up the green a bit.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Hellfire Edge by bounchfx and Oroborus

268x268.resizedimage

Made an axe for Chaos Knight, hope you guys like it!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Some progress on my Warlock Staff:

v2eq.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Horns of the Infinite Void by NickelBeer

InfiniteHorns_Item.jpg
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i notice none of the new entries over the last few days have made it to the first post...*** PAGING MR VIDOTTO! ***
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Thnk wrote: »
    Lion wep work in progress. (Concept by Kendmd)

3wyQ9.jpg

High poly and lod0 done.
    Looking forward to seeing all the things people are making for this months competition :)

Hey, I think we forgot to link the final product here

Helthorn Scepter
    268x268.resizedimage
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    wow! hahahaha

you guys are producing like hell!

im really glad to see that massive submition of quality works =]

i would like to also thanks Lenny for the tutorial and DoubleLeaf for the videos and the chest image. Those deserve a place on the first posts (i have one more hidden post =] )

btw, sorry for the delay, i dont know if i mentioned, but i am trying to get the euro Visa, the interview was tuesday. Also i got married last week and im packing all my things to move to France after the international. Im not having much free time. I will try to get more here at the forum the next days!

another great news, our next month competition will get a highlight on the polycount main page!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guys, i had and idea

im creating a thread to link all the tutorials, working in progress videos and streams, so people could easily get to them. Going to add the ones i remember but please, any other helpful link just post there so i can update it! =]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn man, congrats on all of that! and thanks again for the job you're doing here for all of us.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn man, congrats on all of that! and thanks again for the job you're doing here for all of us.

ty! =]

started it, still need to find a lot of links, if you guys could help with would be amazing!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1885742#post1885742
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Congrats! Good luck with the visa, and thanks for all your work :D
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! Congratulations Tvidotto, and good luck with the Visa!! Just gonna post 2 more items in here.

Kraken by Mihalceanu and Dusk

200x200.resizedimage

And

Hellforge Crystal Scepter by Dusk and XB33

200x200.resizedimage

Hope you enjoy!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Massive congrats to Tvidotto on all counts! I also just want to say thankyou for all the hard work you do here :)

Some more progress pics of my staff, feedback would be greatly appreciated as it just doesn't feel right.

nunv.jpg
  • AlexDascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Massive congrats to Tvidotto on all counts! I also just want to say thankyou for all the hard work you do here :)

Some more progress pics of my staff, feedback would be greatly appreciated as it just doesn't feel right.

nunv.jpg

I just think it has too many colours. I'm reading 4-5 basic colours, each with it's own shades. Seems a bit too much. Although i dunno how it would look if u tried to put less colours in.