Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping question

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
There are a few things that have always stumped me with unwrapping and they all have been simple things, and I wonder now looking at some assets in the udk editor that look similar, do I even have to unwrap it? Or can I just planar map it. Either way I would like to now how would you go about unwrapping something like this?

Capture_zps81ba0911.png

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    This depends on what the asset actually is. For objects like this, tiling textures work best most often then not. Create the texture you want to be on the object, then unwrap the object onto the tiling texture.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That really depends on what it is and what it's going to be used for. Is it the framework for a skyscraper, or a garden trellis? The grill to a muscle car or railing? What materials is it made out of?

Overlapping UV's for diffuse, with unique unwrap for lightmap? If there is more to the object maybe just have one section of the texture space dedicated to a small tile that you can offset the pieces a little to use unique sections of it.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    yeah its the frame for a bridge with windows, I am doing it in modular pieces. I then probably have to make a light map for it to since it's being put into udk

Capture_zpsea4d35bd.png