Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HandPainted Level

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
RipNic polycounter lvl 13
Hi.

I found this concept by deviant id. "Bezduch" and i felt like this is a good piece to practice my hand painting skills on.

Concept:
83ObMs7.jpg

My work.
eK5I4MV.jpg

N4JSR1C.jpg

overall i feel quite satisfied and want to start painting but there is one issue. the stone wall i don't know how i shall model/present it since i feel that the showing basemesh wont work.

Replies

• Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Please don't use just the link, put a picture into your post (theres and "insert image" icon (yellow, with mountains and a sun)

Nice scene so far. Keep on going!
  • vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    The overall feeling of the scene is already quite nice.
    If I where you, I would model a little more depth of the rocks within the wall, but still keep it as one object. This way you can easily paint the seperations of the rock, and it will give a much better feeling.
    Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to see the final scene.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    this seems cool, can't wait to see textures!

I notice the edge lips of the crates could be thicker, it facilitates the hand painted style more and will read better from farther away.
  • RipNic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RipNic polycounter lvl 13
    Hi guys.
    sorry for the late response.
    I have not the total free time that i thought i had and at the same time working on 2 diffrent projects .

anyway here is an update.
    i have struggeld a bit with the wall issue ,how i should build it and represent it and i think that this could work for now.

lWyKNwW.jpg
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RipNic wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    sorry for the late response.
    I have not the total free time that i thought i had and at the same time working on 2 diffrent projects .

anyway here is an update.
    i have struggeld a bit with the wall issue ,how i should build it and represent it and i think that this could work for now.

lWyKNwW.jpg

Looks awesome already, cant wait to see you tackle handpainted!

May i ask, have you just switched from MAX to Maya? I see the wireframes changed from a clay finish to the Maya Perspective colours. :o
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh wrote: »
    you could use the texripper on the sketch and then take the texture made for a corresponding area and place it how you like. Then paint over it.

Had never heard of texripper before this; watched a video on youtube and wow
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think if you exaggerate the cartooniness of the piece to match the concept it will come out amazing. Some of your lines are too uniform at the moment and need to be rounded off. Great project though!
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Just like Dimfist just pointed out, I feel like your silhouettes on the models need to be greatly pushed. Right now you are going with super straight shapes, uniform edges, and just leaving a lot of the character out of the scene. A big part about that painterly, fun style is backed by fun and quirky models as well. A lot of the story will be told in the big shapes, and that includes silhouettes. Look at Blizzard's work thus far, and they are the PRIME bar-setter in this situation, even their early work was just full of life, and as time went on was even greatly pushed.

Keep it up man!