Home Dota 2

Esaxil - Dota 2 Workshop

Hi folks, i'm a 2d artist, and i'm new here.

CURRENT WORKSHOP PROJECT

130509115907216541.jpg

dota2_-_drow_itemset_sketch00a.jpg

There are some concepts i had working on few months ago :
130509115900311769.jpg
130509115902281140.jpg

And there is a concept i worked on it lately. i'm very passionnate with this one, and i'm looking for a collab, in particular this one. feel free to ask me for using it.

Thanks for your opinion.

Best regards
Esaxil

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Welcome, always great to see more 2D faces around here. The Drow Bow is cool but the armor is probably a little bit too subtle to read in-game.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    That wisp, THAT WISP. THAT DAMN WISP.

35670579.jpg
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi spudnik, witch part specially? The whole armor ?

Thanks for feedback ;)

Edit : Yeah Andrew, i'd love to custom particles :3
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I mean, I've been playing way too much Dota and I can't tell where the custom part starts and the default one ends. Silhouette is incredibly important and right now silhouette wise she looks the same as if she was naked. Hope that helps ^^
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fact is drow have a very very smal budget for leg and shoulders parts, and i'd like to have a full legs plate and arm, and with more details on each slot, this will be very tricky to do.

I agree with you, but drow is hard to deal with in 3d. I will rework that part (silhouette) :) ty
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Glad you finally got it working :)
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Looking forward to seeing more from you.
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i found a collab for the drow set. Here is first step made by Ze Blu Spy :

dota2_-_drow_itemset_sketch00a.jpg

There is some fix comming for front view.
    We will go slowly and without rushing on this one, feel free to comment.
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cape concept what do you think about it ? witch one do you prefer?

130512020141567616.jpgv1
    v2130513042350679698.jpg

tryed a better anatomy approach for v2

Maybe too huge and balanced in regards of the symetry of the set ?

Njoy
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I prefer v1, seems to work better with the flow of her body shape.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    V1 looks a lot better, like Mdk said it's flowing better with her body and doesn't look as weird..
    The concept is looking great, really wondering how this will turn out!
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some concept advancemen, slowly .... :)

130529111258946557.jpg
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it's been taking me a while since I've been working on other projects as well--but something is churning... (horribad posing, I know!)

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip01.jpg

Feel free to comment or critique! I will post more progress as it gets done...

Also, definite photo-accurate representation of the textures when I get to them:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip01a.jpg

c :
  • Shooo~
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shooo~ polycounter lvl 7
    gj
    love your dnd drow concept
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided on trying to get the nitty-gritty out of the way first and made sure the import process went fine. After building the geometry and binding them to the skeleton, I was ready for import--but then...

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip01b.jpg
    Wat.

Why you do this to me Dota...?

I dig the relatively new features the importer has so I don't have to hack the game to see a full set like I did the first time. So the features are pretty cool. However, that issue you see right there with the cape took me some time to find the solution to as I binded, rebinded, and tried to correct my exporting options but to no avail.

I later found out that because the Workshop files are so out of date, the bones making up the cape were renamed and didn't match the resource files on the site. I then had to rename them properly for them to work in-game:

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip01c.jpg
    Yay! (Better seen when animated though...)

So anyone working on the Drow Ranger and using the files from the Workshop, do note that you have to rename the binded cape bones from "...:R1C0" to "cape_R1C0", and for all other bones related to the cape; so it'd look something like:
    R0C0 => cape_R0C0
    R1C0 => cape_R1C0
    R2C0 => cape_R2C0
    R3C0 => cape_R3C0
    R4C0 => cape_R4C0
    R0C1 => cape_R0C1
    R1C1 => cape_R1C1
    R2C1 => cape_R2C1
    R3C1 => cape_R3C1
    R4C1 => cape_R4C1
    R0C1 => cape_R0C1
    R1C2 => cape_R1C2
    R2C2 => cape_R2C2
    R3C2 => cape_R3C2
    R4C2 => cape_R4C2
    (source)
    I would advise Valve to update their Workshop resources since I did notice other inconsistencies--such as Traxex's 3k model having a totally different UV layout than her 6k model. Silencer's textures are also out of date from what my friend tells me. It would create less headaches if so!

Hope this helps and more updates when they become available!
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update!

Finally got around to finishing the high-res models:

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip02.jpg

Will be working on transferring normal details, so hopefully that goes smoothly!
  • branch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you could avoid all these problems by using the models from your dota2 folder
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    branch wrote: »
    I think you could avoid all these problems by using the models from your dota2 folder
    That's true, I could have ripped everything from the game itself to use--would've made things a little less difficult. But I figured Valve would update their Workshop resources sooner or later, so I honestly don't mind the minor headaches to get these things working. I guess part of the adventure for me is the troubleshooting.

Anyway, an update. Most of the transfers worked well and I had to do a little bit of paint overs for the normals.:

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip03.jpg

Next will be the coloring...
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I've been following this one since the concepts, really looking forward to the finished product. Reminds me very much of the Lineage 2 style!
  • branch
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colors study and some texture work:

dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip04.jpg

Apologies the bow isn't in the best of angles... More details need to be added with additional color tweaks. Then, after that, building the maps for each piece. Feel free to critique or comment!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Aren't the values off on the boots at the feet area?
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Aren't the values off on the boots at the feet area?
    I agree, I think it was the light maps that rendered very bright in that area--I'll adjust it in the textures. Thanks for pointing it out!
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blargh, I'm spending too long between updates! Gotta stop getting distracted...

Here's some fixed colors:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip05.jpg

Going to test in-game and try to push out some shots of that as well...
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Dude, I really like the vipe on the armor and overall style of this set. I consider it one of the best drow sets I have seen todate. With that said, I understand how you started with the bow, but the translation didn't seem to capture the high poly details well enough that it feels flat. I imagine it will look worse ingame. Not sure if I am expressing myself properly but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

looking forward to the this.
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Dude, I really like the vipe on the armor and overall style of this set. I consider it one of the best drow sets I have seen todate. With that said, I understand how you started with the bow, but the translation didn't seem to capture the high poly details well enough that it feels flat. I imagine it will look worse ingame. Not sure if I am expressing myself properly but I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

looking forward to the this.
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. And yea, I know what you mean.

Ironically, while testing, I noticed that the bow transferred almost perfectly:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip06a.jpg

Remember that even though the higher renders might look a lot nicer, when they are imported in game, everything tends to scale down to about a half or a quarter the size--textures tend to blur together, so some details may be lost or merged together with other pixel information.

After the import, I noticed a few areas I need to fix. Apparently, my outdated Drow model had painted ears, while the one in-game has modeled ears--you might not see it clearly, but I can tell there's some clipping there. I will need to adjust the hair mesh to compensate. The lines on the gauntlet textures faded away, so I'll need to makes those more bold--may need to also do the same for the boots.

The specular and rimlight maps for the cape with the scale texture seem to have faded away as well, though I may leave it like that since it still looks good. I'm afraid if I increase the size and intensity it may look too out of place--it should be a small and subtle detail (but I'll play around with it anyway). I'll probably need to add some more color variation/contrast to the bow as it's looking quite pale in-game.

What bugs me the most is the poses which causes the bow (and sometimes the gauntlet--she has too many pointy bits!) to clip with the cape--but there's not much I can change of that without losing the shape of the cape and how it looks during other poses and animations.

There also seems to be some clipping on the legs for some reason, even though I matched the 6k and 3k models, I assume the game is not swapping the models appropriately or there was a change in paint weights:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip06b.jpg

I'll try to fix that. At least the portrait looks nice. Any comments, critiques, or questions, please feel free to bring it to my attention!
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update with the edits!

I edited the lines but they didn't really show up much--I might thicken them once more before the final exports. The cape and bow texture edits were subtle:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip07a.jpg

If you noticed, I also edited the cape mesh--scaled it horizontally so there's less clipping by the bow. The gauntlet still interpenetrates from time to time, but I think I'll let it slide. Here an in-game environment lighting shot:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip07b.jpg

I honestly think both versions look good. The wider one cloaks more area so it looks a bit more intimidating, but this version does provide less clipping with a sleeker look.

And the final textures review:
    dota2_-_drow_itemset_wip07c.jpg

Hope this looks good for ya'll so far!
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    Well done! Best of luck
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy wrote: »
    Well done! Best of luck
    Thanks!

Alright, after reviewing it with Esaxil, I ended up darkening the armor some and edited a few minor details. This is the final-final version of how it should look in game:

dota2_-_drow_wyrm_scrn01aa.jpg

dota2_-_drow_wyrm_scrn01ab.jpg

dota2_-_drow_wyrm_scrn01b.jpg

I will now have to make some presentation renders and compile some promo images. Hope you dig!
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some presentation shots:

dota2_-_drow_wyrm_itemset_splash_page00.jpg

dota2_-_drow_wyrm_itemset_splash_page00b.jpg

c :

One thing I learned after finishing these renders: I'd be a horrible archer. I forgot to research how archers should properly hold their bows and arrows and I totally posed it wrong (arrow placement, mainly). It's not obvious on most renders, but for some particular ones, I know it's obvious, heheh.

I think the promo shot will come soon. Need to check with Esaxil on that. Almost ready to post in the workshop!
  • giovannyarce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    giovannyarce polycounter lvl 5
    This looks really nice, good job, following your work.
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done!

Workshop and links to individual items can be found here:
    Steam Workshop :: Black Wyrm Bow Hunter

drow_wyrm_promo(1920x1080).jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    Looks good but shouldnt that bowstring be under her arm in the promo shot? Looks really strange
  • AndresOnion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, that hair is really cute. I like the shoulder pad too.
  • DRa90NBoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really nice, good job, following your work.
    Thanks!
    Pipotchi wrote: »
    Looks good but shouldnt that bowstring be under her arm in the promo shot? Looks really strange
    Heheh, like I said, I'd be horrible at archery... Thanks for pointing that out--I can change it on my end, but it'll be up to Esaxil if he chooses to update it.
    Man, that hair is really cute. I like the shoulder pad too.
    c :
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Our set Made by Ze Blue Spy and me is now on the workshop ! Thump up please :D
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175535493
    C401BE97122BE5A729E2CE561E6721D1BDD5EC74
  • Esaxil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Courrier concept :D
    130913050059236850.jpg
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
  • ShorkGamer