Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Silenced Sten SMG (Mk VI)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
I wanted to model something quick and fairly easy to finally give my new dDo license a spin - so here's my Sten Mk VI. I've pretty much wrapped up the Highpoly and figured I'd throw it up here now so I can incorporate crits before I get to baking it.

Somewhere down the line (time permitting) I might embed it in a little R

Replies

• s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking pretty cool, and I like the concept.

That said, The wood needs some love. wood doesn't "Dent" or dip as yours appears here. It can deform without chipping but those are usually pretty shallow. Especial with a hard wood, not to mention an enameled hard wood. It would be nice to see: chips, scrapes (wood deep), shallow scratches that may only appear on the normal/spec as if enamel only got tripped away. etc.

Otherwise, looking cool. Should be cool to see it texture! happy baking :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah find some better reference for sculpting details on the wood. Wood can split and rot a bit with age, but it's not going to have gashes like that. Wood on the butt might get chipped if the butt isn't completely flush with the wood, and there may be some slight dents where the wood mounts to the gun and on the top and bottom of the butt on the corners.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!

The references I used were these Mk V stocks - a lot more beat-up than other reference pics - which made it look more interesting to gaze at I guess.

1ZMPpDU.jpg
    5lDgdv1.jpg

I'll revisit the wood before I bake down, guess I got a little carried away. Cheers again.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP of a little neighboring prop because I had some time in-between ;)

OPLnQQs.jpg
  • Kimono
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, some nice work here! I will say the sculpted elements are lacking alot of finesse. The wooden stock in particular is the worst offender with odd blobby dents in the surface. You can clearly see in your ref that the denting you are trying to mimic is far more refined, this kind of damage would only occur from a rather hard knock and is not so much a gradual process. I would suggest altering the focal shift of your brush in Zbrush to clamp the falloff and remove the "standard brush" look. Also the placement of them seems too noisy and random, I'd say less is more in this case, placing focus on definition and interesting shapes. As for the fabric barrel you shroud try working into the folds some more, right now they are a bit too doodly and undefined as if you weren't confident when adding them. I look forward to an update!
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the critique - the comment on hard knocks to the wood made it 'click' in my head ;)

As for the heat guard on the silencer, well it hasn't been sculpted at all to be honest, just a little vertex pushin' and pullin', since it seemed to be fairly streched and taut from my other reference pics. A few (broad?) folds would look more interesting though, agreed.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much time in front of the computer today, so I figured I'd finish up the radio HP.

DEOnnva.jpg

Back to the Sten tomorrow.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    De-blobbed the wood somewhat, cautious creasing on the heatguard. Low Poly next.

1tB330K.jpg
    keBeCqF.jpg
    O1BFfya.jpg

(lighting is a bit harsh in some of the pics)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while.. Here's my Lowpoly with basic color masks and no specular/gloss map, so it looks uniformly shiny for now. Ddo next. The model clocks in at ~6,000 tris.

YFl6VA7.jpg

REXVXtb.jpg

J1CTHp1.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    So, after mucking about with DDo (thoroughly managing to break it more than once), here's an update.

Weapon is ~6,500 tris heavy and textured with 2048^2 D/N/S/G maps.

NA860Ur.jpg

8zrzJzh.jpg

ZbwE7m2.jpg
  • Tim270
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Looking nice!

One thing that I think stands out too much is the lack of grain in the wood - I think maybe a very slight de-contrast and some grain layers in there would go a long way as the wood does not quite feel real.

Check

http://7f707af5cce54c2d5f77-e3b87bed69e5e75268a1a04297bb727a.r98.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0aa9d39765634cd6ff9e5b085da19619/Q/B/QB1002-4.jpg

http://www.a-human-right.com/sten/sten_mk5.jpg

Really digging the metal and the jacket though.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    looking pretty nice, maybe proper background textures and less intense AO
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the crits!

Tim270, yeah much agreed. It's the part that bugs me the most right now. Need to invest some more time on it.

Shrike, thanks! And yes. I plan to present the Sten in a setting/diorama.. Resistance or Maquis themed.. this was just to plop something into the background.