Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review SveinY

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SveinY polycounter lvl 6
Heya people I just finished the new site if ya got any crits would love to hear them :)http://www.svein3d.com/

And then the big question is, am I good enough for a character artist position?

Replies

• peanutBK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanutBK polycounter lvl 4
    I haven't gotten around to starting a portfolio yet, but your work looks really clean. I especially like the speed sculpt section you did are great job. Best of luck with getting hired!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The models on your work page seem very similar - creepy bald guys who could use a gym membership. #2, 3, 5, and 9 have almost identical faces. I'd recommend adding some variety - women, kids, guys with hair...
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    DWalker wrote: »
    The models on your work page seem very similar - creepy bald guys who could use a gym membership. #2, 3, 5, and 9 have almost identical faces. I'd recommend adding some variety - women, kids, guys with hair...

Agree with this. The lack of women and hair really narrows down what your portfolio says you are capable of.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work mate, I agree with the others,
    get some womens and dudes with hair in there and you're all set :)
  • loki1991
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it says speed sculpts but nothing about how long it took to make them. i know it takes a while to make stuff like this but i think it would be good to have a time stamp on them as well.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd put your name and email in clear view at the top of your website. When a recruiter is going througu your work, they will remember your name easier when it is in clear view from all the pages of your site, rather then going to the contacts page.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    like your logo, but not your fonts

Why are your fonts so aliased ? The logo font is readable but the subpage fonts are too hard to read and need to be changed.

The frontal presentation is cool. The grey borders are a good idea but could be of better graphical quality. Plain 50% grey is not nice to look at. If you dont want to spend time on them, then just make them a bunch darker.

For your chars, they look cool, but if you have a lowpoly that looks exactly the same as your highpoly but better (with textures) then leave the highpoly out from the page.
    If you have such good bakes then great. + the highpoly backgrounds are different than the other ones, and just make it worse.

For that radioactive mad sign guy you could leave the highpoly pics, theres a difference you can
    see in detail, same for the skeleton.

Try beeing consistent with backgrounds. 50% grey backgrounds or 70% grey backgrounds dont look really nice, but you can live with that, its not as terrible. Grey to white or black to white backgrounds are a crime in taste. (like your highpolys use) and just drag everything down.

Your last orge with the yellow eyes is missing ambient occlusion, making the shoulderpad really bland per example. Dont forget on AO in general.

The meshes look really well and the lighting is good, Imo youre clearly set for a good char position.
  • SveinY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for all the crits! And I completely understand the point with no character with hair and no female characters that is something I have to do :) but first need to finish the Orc and Substrata entry. I want to keep the grey background on my work tho.

I have updated the site now. If theres any other crits bring them on :D