Home General Discussion

zbrush 4R6 now with magic retopo

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    with the latest service pack the results from mudbox should be cleaner...
    also if you lower the seeting for uniform and use a hard constrain in the center line...

but its clear zbrush is the winner here...!
    the topo looks in some places like hand crafted... great job pixo...
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody use any of the other new features yet? Like trim cuts, the crease curve?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    You do have layers for polypainting. Granted, they're super basic and nothing amazing, but they're there. I use them routinely.
    The only problem is that Polypaint WORKING with Layers is actually a bug, not a feature that Pixo made, they left it in, it was a happy mistake that happened.

This can be seen when you do some fancy stuff with layers when it comes to blending certain things for (example) skin textures, materials, and baking them down to your diffuse or collapsing the layers.

At least once every couple of layers, I have to pop an Empty layer or two, and collapse everything with that, or else ZB will start throwing at me corrupt paint or blotchy black spots the next time I load the model.

So in that regard, I'm worried if they ever decided to patch something with the layers, and we lose out on polypaint in the process. That would suck major time since almost all of my archives have at least 2 layers for my poypaint on my PC :/
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    I use scultping layers, and I have issues with them corrupting my polypaint, so I currently texture in mudbox. If pixologic makes a more robust painting layer system with layer masks and psd support I would have no reason to use any other app.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    arshlevon wrote: »
    If pixologic makes a more robust painting layer system with layer masks and psd support I would have no reason to use any other app.

That might finally make me ditch Mudbox, yeah..
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Black magic voodoo sorcery!!! :D
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    womball wrote: »
    Anybody use any of the other new features yet? Like trim cuts, the crease curve?

The trim brushes function exactly like the clip brushes except they delete the geometry and the close the hole with a new polygroup. This opens up a bunch of new options to play with. As for the crease brush, it's basically a slice curve brush with a crease applied to it. I personally haven't found a good purpose for that yet.

Also the B-radius working with slice curve now is really awesome, especially when combined with panel loops.
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    that, and i've yet to have a client ask me for a .mud format file. but i'm regularly asked for .ztl files. so it makes absolutely zero financial sense.

An interesting point, but why use a .mud format, or a .ztl file for that matter. Both are proprietary for their respective applications and hardly what I would call an open format for a pipeline. I'd much rather have a more open and flexible format for pushing my data upstream and downstream in a pipeline.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And which format would that be?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    .obj .fbx .abc
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    oglu wrote: »
    .obj .fbx .abc ...

all of those support subd level and group information ?

also how big do the file sizes get.

so far, i been converting all my .mud files to zbrush .ztl files mostly because the of client requirement and ztool file sizes are a LOT smaller than any other format i have seen so far.

a 3.5gb mudbox file comes down to a ~300mb ztl file.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bellsey wrote: »
    An interesting point, but why use a .mud format, or a .ztl file for that matter. Both are proprietary for their respective applications and hardly what I would call an open format for a pipeline. I'd much rather have a more open and flexible format for pushing my data upstream and downstream in a pipeline.

well, when they've asked for .ztl files, i'm assuming it's so that if they need to reposition things to make baking easier they can do (i tend to have my low poly w/ UV's as a subtool within the .ztl file so you can use transpose master to move everything about all at once). or if they find that they might want a certain part of the high res tweaked proportionally they can move to a lower subdivision and do it easily. and in some cases it's probably just for records keeping... you never know when you might need to revisit and revise an asset!

.obj/fbx etc. are all decent formats but they really lack the flexibility that .ztl offers when it comes to making any changes.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    thats a special case in games... normally the client wont get any 3d files... only the final output... an image sequence or a point cached animation...

if the client wants a .ztl file... he is getting one...
    same for .mud or all other files...

@MM
    mudbox 2014 files are now smaller... :D
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My point was that ztl, isn't very flexible and only works with Zbrush, nothing else. Though to be fair its the same for .mud or any other scene file format

I'm not rubbishing formats like .mud/.ztl, like any other specific software scene format are great at what they do, but not so good when it comes to pushing data through a pipeline, into other softwares, or into a game for that matter. (at least I'm not aware of anyone exporting .ztl/mud to a game).

Hence why many people do use obj/fbx, and more recently alembic (.abc). Different formats have different uses.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    You do have layers for polypainting. Granted, they're super basic and nothing amazing, but they're there. I use them routinely.

I've used that method you're referring to, but it's honestly not as flexible as I'd like it to be. If it had a layer painting system similar to PS's (along with blending modes) it would be badass. Like arshlevon mentioned, I'd have no reason to use any other app aside from my primary 3d software...and that would be really minimal.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    oglu wrote: »
    @MM
    mudbox 2014 files are now smaller... :D

how small ?

last time i tried the trial the file size was only 15-20% smaller so a 3.5gb file was something like 2.7 as i remember

ztl files are almost 1/10 of mud files. big difference and saves lot of time in transfering.

has there been significant update to that in service pack 1 ?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    They should really start working on the updates for Sculptris because some of us can't really afford Zbrush or Mudbox.

Why cant they just add to the current release instead of making a huge issue out of one or two things in one new release.

Sorry I am just grumpy this morning. :(
  • XilenceX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XilenceX polycounter lvl 10
    The upgrade from QRemesher to Zremesher is pretty much exactly what I wanted, this must be black magic! :)
    Having said that Zremesher still has the same flaw that Qremesher had, it creates spirals instead of clean edge loops. Ofc you can't see this on screenshots, but if you send your model to 3DS max and doubleclick on the edges of long parts like arms, legs and fingers you'll almost certainly see them.
    Having said that there is a new feature that noone mentioned yet: you can retopologyze only parts of the model, which will hopefully make it possible to eliminate those spirals directly in Zbrush by retopologyzing them again.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey: flexible or not, only a .ztl allows for easy changes to be made, as well as stuff like layers and subdivision steps.

It's nothing to do with exporting into the game, it's so the client can adjust things if need be. You'd provide them with an obj/dae/fbx of the low and highpoly as well, since those can be loaded into anything.
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Bellsey: flexible or not, only a .ztl allows for easy changes to be made, as well as stuff like layers and subdivision steps.

I'm not disputing that, but of course that applies only to a Zbrush scene/asset.
    Although you import meshes into Mudbox and rebuild the subdivision levels (even the UVs), providing they were previously subdivided using the Catmull-Clark method. This can be handy if the original scene data is lost or you just have the final hires mesh.
    I can't recall if Zbrush can do this (expecting it could).

@MM
    my experience of the Mudbox 2014(including SP1) scene sizes is pretty much the same as yours, approx a 20% reduction. That's literally opening a previous Mudbox scene version and then just saving it with Mudbox 2014.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Can we please get off the topic of Mudbox vs. ZBrush or whatever the hell is going on here and discuss the new features of ZBrush? Thanks.

I'm excited to use the new ZRemesher but I think I'll get just as much use out of the clipping brushes as well. I hope version 5 has a bit more hard surface tools that don't involve booleans, then again I'm just eagerly awaiting ZB finally being 64-bit.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    XilenceX wrote: »
    The upgrade from QRemesher to Zremesher is pretty much exactly what I wanted, this must be black magic! :)
    Having said that Zremesher still has the same flaw that Qremesher had, it creates spirals instead of clean edge loops. Ofc you can't see this on screenshots, but if you send your model to 3DS max and doubleclick on the edges of long parts like arms, legs and fingers you'll almost certainly see them.
    Having said that there is a new feature that noone mentioned yet: you can retopologyze only parts of the model, which will hopefully make it possible to eliminate those spirals directly in Zbrush by retopologyzing them again.

Yeah, I noticed the spiral thing as well. Blast. Hopefully they'll have a toggle for this in the future.

How do you go about only topoing a specific part? just hide the rest I assume?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    What is better out of Maya and Max plz
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Torch wrote: »

Blender.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Torch wrote: »

PowerAnimator
  • RedShiny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedShiny null
    Wow... Now I know what program to aim for (I was waffling between mudbox and Zbrush to be honest.)

That topology reducer with those guides looks really sweet! I'm going to have to hunt around for some videos of it being done to see how smooth the process is because this looks like one of those "too good to be true" things and I'm paranoid there's a hitch somewhere in there.
  • Hattori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    They should really start working on the updates for Sculptris because some of us can't really afford Zbrush or Mudbox.

Why cant they just add to the current release instead of making a huge issue out of one or two things in one new release.

Sorry I am just grumpy this morning. :(

I doubt they won't ever work on Sculptris updates. Sculptris acts as bait, to get people interested in digital sculpting and thus maybe a possible upgrade to Zbrush.

And honestly, Zbrush is not that pricey. Just save your pennies :) It is absolutely worth it.

Otherwise, Blender has also some nice sculpting tools with a similar approach like Sculptris.
  • Bellsey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender.

Softimage ;-)
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    Unffff :F

Thanks for the guides and examples, everyone. I just installed the update. :thumbup:
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri wrote: »
    The trim brushes function exactly like the clip brushes except they delete the geometry and the close the hole with a new polygroup. This opens up a bunch of new options to play with. As for the crease brush, it's basically a slice curve brush with a crease applied to it. I personally haven't found a good purpose for that yet.

Also the B-radius working with slice curve now is really awesome, especially when combined with panel loops.

What does a b-radius with slice curves create?
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw_LoGsVUHc"]ZBrush 4 - Clip Brushes (Brush Radius) - YouTube[/ame]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hattori wrote: »
    I doubt they won't ever work on Sculptris updates. Sculptris acts as bait, to get people interested in digital sculpting and thus maybe a possible upgrade to Zbrush.

And honestly, Zbrush is not that pricey. Just save your pennies :) It is absolutely worth it.

Otherwise, Blender has also some nice sculpting tools with a similar approach like Sculptris.

I have zbrush lad. heh heh heh lol I just find it weird that they are not doing anything to remotely improve sculptris. :D
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    womball wrote: »

Checking features as I browse the update docs. Trim cuve w/ brush radius enabled (clip brush modifier tab) does a cool boolean based on the size of your brush. Like a slice curve but will also delete the sliced path.

Or if you want the opposite result, keystroke with the alt. Works great with the open curves, but the result I get from closed ones (circle, rect) is not the same expected result - I`m not getting a booleaned core.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Tried it. OMG Pixologic are gods. Going to save me soooo much time. Still need to tweak a bit after, but that's expected.

Switched to Zbrush a little under a year ago and just been constantly impressed by it.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Tried it. It's "ok". The zremesher has issues with sharp angles. So, sculpting a rock form and zremeshing is out of the question. Solo is fun, alittle redundant.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just me or symmetry doesn't work for trim curves. Clip curves will still cut symmetrically.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, symmetry doesnt seem to work with the new trim brushes.
    Ive noticed masking partially hidden geometry and applying a polygroup has about a 30% chance to crash my zbrush. anyone else have experience that?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illo wrote: »
    anyone else have experience that?

That happened to me yesterday while doing a panel loop to hidden mask. I just thought I dialed the settings too high for my lo spec laptop.
  • mulungu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great software.
  • mulungu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Sotware.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone put a link for the Zbrush 4r6 installer so those who have just one license to swap can do a fresh install and manually swap their license?

I am unable to do the auto update. Whenever I do, it asks me for the license.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You didn't get an email from them? It always includes instructions for downloading the installer and doing it all manually.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Zmesher_01.jpg

Me: Welp, I think my retopo is pretty good!?
    Zbrush: Hold my beer.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    You didn't get an email from them? It always includes instructions for downloading the installer and doing it all manually.

All they did was mailed me and gave instructions for auto update. I will read em again and find the 4r6 installer.
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Minimum System Requirements:

UGH.. i know its sad I still use xp. Waiting to upgrade when i can afford a new rig.

It's a shame ZRemesher looks like a huge improvement from QRemesher.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow that Zbrush example is really impressive Iron!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    TY Torch :) Btw, I've had the spiraling loops problem when doing autotopo in 3dcoat at work (even with guides), but in the few zremesher tests so far the loops wrap around just fine.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You guys should check out the updated Frame Mesh feature too. It will draw curves on the geometry edges, polygroup edges, and creased edges. It adds some much needed precision for the curves brushes, and it's good for funky scifi kitbashing or Giger inspired greeble. :p
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Can anyone put a link for the Zbrush 4r6 installer so those who have just one license to swap can do a fresh install and manually swap their license?

I am unable to do the auto update. Whenever I do, it asks me for the license.

Have you already tried this?

https://pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/instructions/full-installer.php
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    rory wrote: »
    Minimum System Requirements:

UGH.. i know its sad I still use xp. Waiting to upgrade when i can afford a new rig.

It's a shame ZRemesher looks like a huge improvement from QRemesher.

Yeah think the update before this was when they dropped support for XP. I can still use the older versions but I'm gonna have to wait and build a new computer before I can use any of the new cool features. So I'm in the same boat as you.