Home Featured Artwork

[WIP] Sci-Fi Cave Environment

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    shouldn't that vertex blend be happening on the tiling map, and not your baked maps?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    Yea.. I accidentally used the wrong map for my shader example. Crudskis
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    ya what i thought, still a cool i idea, it kinda makes me want to make a vertex blend in maya, do multiple projections, paint seams out, than reProject to the main set.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats also not a bad idea.. however at that rate you lose the ability to use a tiling map which then might just make it easier to paint out the seams in mudbox.. or 3dcoat or something of that sort.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko wrote: »
    Thats also not a bad idea.. however at that rate you lose the ability to use a tiling map which then might just make it easier to paint out the seams in mudbox.. or 3dcoat or something of that sort.

ya i meant that for ditching seams on non tiling materials, it's a similar idea to how people make tiling materials in photoshop, just instead of masking a texture with a offset version of the texture, your are masking with vertex colour 2 uv sets.

some cases it would beat the clone brush in mudbox in other cases you might be better off cloneing over in mud.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I can see how that'd be faster in some cases. Be interesting to try out regardless!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the machine High Poly. I still have a little left to do in the middle, but the outer area is done. I will be making the lowpoly tomorrow and getting it in-game. Excited!!
    Its built in one section and duplicated around the center bit 11 times. There should be enough in the scene to not even notice the repetition.
    Any feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks!

MachineWIP05.jpg
    MachineWIP06.jpg
  • refriedspinach
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    I have to say that, that is the coolest hardsurface ive seen. the style of it is so interesting to look at. (the top image of the detail is my backround :) )

cant wait to see more! definitely subscribed.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    that hardsurface modeling for that machine is absolutely stunning and I love it. just hope the bake comes out right, otherwise it could be a nightmare. how do you plan on setting up the uv's on the low res?
  • Josh Mount
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh Mount polycounter lvl 6
    luge wrote: »
    ...just hope the bake comes out right, otherwise it could be a nightmare. how do you plan on setting up the uv's on the low res?
    I was thinking something similar myself. I'm curious. Would you mind sharing your process?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedbizzle!

@Luge and Josh Mount: I am not entirely sure what route I am gonna take, however when I figure it out I will share how I did it. (:
  • Lloydyy89
    MachineWIP05.jpg

Oh my god. That looks amazing...:O
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    That machine looks puny and underpowered :poly121:.

Wait.... what I meant to say was, that machine looks like it could tear a hole in the fabric of the universe.

Seriously though, that is absolutely jaw dropping. AMAZING. I can't wait to see how you handle the LP.
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    I loved that high-poly so much that its now my desktop background O.o

Seriously awesome
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lloydyy89 and TheRealFroman: Thanks!! Much appreciated! Glad you like it (:

@JustinSlick: That is awesome.. I think it may just do that.. or maybe it wont? Who knows? I don't. And thanks for the kind words! The LP is in progress right now.. I will probably get it in tomorrow. Had to do a bunch of random errands today :p
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    Super nice work. I like where the environment is going on this one.
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Great work! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Really cool work! I can't wait to see where this goes. The only thing that bugs me are those long thin pieces on the outer ring (I'm not sure if they are straps or what) with all of those bolts. I think it's just having those long flat surfaces with so many bolts, looks a bit noisy and the shapes feel a bit weird compared to the other curved interesting parts you have.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the nice comments peeps!

@dtschultz: I kinda see what you mean. I wasn't necessarily planning on those shapes to be weird in contrast to the rest of the machine, but rather more like the infrastructure of the thing. The other parts have panels that cover the insides with exterior pipes, whereas that section is meant to show how chaotic the builders were when they were putting this thing together. I'll go ahead and keep that in mind for when it gets transferred to the LP and see if it does show up a bit too noisy. Maybe all it would need is a panel or 2 over a few of the sections to help dial down the detail. Thanks!
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I got the Low-Poly for the outer rim in now. Seems to be working out pretty well. There is a bit of stretching on the UV's near the very top sections, but I am willing to take it and work with it. Took a bit to figure out exactly how I was going to do a few sections. What it ended up being was the low-poly is broken up into 4 sections that I baked it to. The main circle, support beam low, support beam top, and then the side pipes transitioning to the top support. Twas a pain in the ass but I managed to figure it out. The whole things tri-count is 3795 and is using 2 diffuse and 2 normal textures. I posted an example of the main circle normal.

I am going to be working on getting the middle of the machine in this week all moving and such.

Oh and I also messed around with the lights a bit and changed up a few rocks here and there. Then I messed with the water a bit and got it to reflect real-time as well as get a little bit of vert-painting on the edges for a neat surface-debris-type of effect.

13.jpg
    Closer shot.
    14.jpg
    Wireframe Wootsicles.
    15.jpg
    Main circle normal.
    bts_Machine_Main_01_DN.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    Well, i can say, that it appears you did the uvs mostly how I thought you would (uv a section since it repeats). But I love it, and I'm surprised that there wasn't more distortion in the bakes. What did you use to do them? And how do you plan on doing the rest of the texture for this? I ask that because, it looks like its going to be quite tedious to do a lot of the fine tweaking in this texture.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks luge.
    I used xnormal for my bakes and did a little bit of cleanup afterwards in photoshop. I plan on making the colors for the pipes different from the main metal and will probably setup overlays in photoshop with masks to paint in the cracks, rust, and discoloration. The cavity map gives me a nice map to use for the bolts so that I can separate them out and tweak them. For the most part it shouldn't be too bad. The hard part is going to be focusing on the big shapes so that it doesn't look super noisy from far away.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    Alright, sounds good. can't wait to see the rest of it.
  • alexdubbeat
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    love that high poly badassary. :D kinda reminds me Giger`s biomechanical landscapes.
    ps bake looks great. can`t wait to see more. :)
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    we have a god of patience here, that must of took ages to create!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    wow, I am astonished. With the giant mech thing fits so well with the rest of the cave, it looks marvelous. Makes me want to make a similar scene!
  • Lloydyy89
    Seriously freaking sweet. I've got that HP screenshot as my wallpaper. The low poly version is equally awesome. Love it! :D
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    looking more and more awesome :)! cant wait to see this come together.
  • jmiles
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    really looking ace and coming along dude. looking forward to more
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Dat bake. So clean. Nice work man, can definitely appreciate the time and effort going into the HP and the LP bake. Keep it up! Definitely gotta bring the rest of the work and surrounding environment up to par now ;) Jk, after seeing the current quality of work, I have no doubt it will all be quite amazing when you are finished
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks everyone for the nice remarks! Very very appreciated! (:

@alexdubbeat
    kinda reminds me Giger`s biomechanical landscapes.
    I took a look at those after you mentioned them and man.. they are crazy!
  • RailbladerX
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    Sci fi. God do I love sci fi for that one reason. Spamming detail. It still boggles my mind that even though only a small part is made, and duplicated. the overall silhouette looks amazing. Gj guy keep it going.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    @RailbladerX Thanks a ton! Glad I could boggle your mind! XD Sci-fi is just awesomely fun for that reason.

So here is an update to some of the textures. The piston/Pump thingy is what I'll be focusing on this week, but the main machine texture is pretty close to finished. The spec might still need some work (Never thought of how hard it would be to get the spec to read right on a concave cylindrical shape :poly122:) I feel like the colors might be over-contrasted, but I am unsure. Any input would be very helpful!

16.jpg
    17.jpg
    18.jpg

Thanks for the feedback peeps. Keep it coming!
  • JoshVanZuylen
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    it's looking awesome man-
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Much appreciated! (:
  • refriedspinach
    Offline / Send Message
    refriedspinach polycounter lvl 3
    omg this is so cool! seriously, your style and texturing is sick! i love all the little details in it!
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    I agree that the colors might need to be desaturated just a hair. I also would work on the light bloom, if possible. It looks off-center. Perhaps push it closer to the edge of the model and then tone it down a bit.
  • Dazz3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    Insane, this entire scene is just beautiful :):)
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
    I liked it when it was grey :p I vote greys (Iron) and cool colors~
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    @RefriedSpinach and Dazz3r Thanks! Very much appreciated!

@Alvordr Yea good call. I've been dabbling with the placement of the glowiness.

@Klash-120 Actually most of the texture is an irony type color. The lights are really pumping some serious reds and oranges into it though. Also the cubemap color as well. I think if I desaturate it a little bit and take the lights saturation down just a tad as well, the diffuse colors will pop more.

Thanks Again!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I actually really like the bronzy colors. A lot! But it's not too late to explore more possibilities to see which could really be the best.
    It could even have some paint on it...?
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    I think for the closer objects I'll throw more paint on em. Good suggestion. I plan on adding a pipe kit so that I can really expand the vast pipes into the rest of the cave. As if it is just rooted with em.
    Thanks!
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    looking really good! one thing that has happened though since you gave it color is that now it has extreme amount of detail in it, think it is because of the overall contrast and AO. My eyes try to grasp all the awesomeness so they jump around a lot when I look at it never really focusing on anything. sure it has the glowing circle in the middle but I still jump around looking at all the bits and pieces around it. this might be personal taste though so take it with a dash of salt :) keep it up! love watching this.
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks FozWroth! I definitely see your point. Not sure how to handle it at this point but I'll definitely keep that in mind!

Ok here is a minorish update. I did another pass of the textures for the rocks. Pulled back all of my color tinting in the shader and left it up to the texture instead. Messed around with the water more.. flow maps.. learning flow maps. Hurting my brain. Ow. Still messing with it. While doing so I reworked the rock formations quite a bit on the left and right side. Piling a bit more fun into it! Waterfalls.. Etc. Also Added some moving water on the rock texture using vert painting. Its nice to be pretty much done with the pipe script now.. which means I can 50% my free time to this scene and hopefully get it finished before the end of this year. Lastly I pulled out all of the other walkway stuff for now and will be getting it back in later. Enough wordness .. heres some pics and im going to bed. (:

Probably too much fog.. oy
    Hit me!

19.jpg
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    crazy stuff, especially that high poly! What are you using to model? also mind sharing how you approached on creating your low poly? normal is so clean
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Minor updates.

Just looking at the last progress shots I took.. dammmn it was dark... So I went through and messed with the post a bit to boost it a bit more. I did bring some lighting back as well.

Also, I have finally decided what this machine is kinda. The scientists who have built a permanent laboratory (The new section that is being blocked out on the right) in the cave notice an abundance of plant-life around the lit areas of the cave. In the unlit sections are going to be glowy bits that illuminate sections of the cave beautifully (Kinda similar to glow-worm cave). Basically, somehow this machine is producing life that will be strange, but neat enough for people to study it. Lastly, I got the flow maps working ok for the water. (Still needs a final paint job but I am kind of sick of water at the moment.

Stalagmites and tites are still underway btw(I haven't forgotten... just still nailing out the other sections)

As usual comments and critiques are much appreciated!

22.jpg
    23.jpg
    24.jpg

I saw a neat image from halo 4 that stuck out to me for the direction I want to go with the lab.

halo4%20conceptsupportstuff.jpg

I don't know why I never posted this, but here is where most of my inspiration came from for this machine. Not sure who did it, but man its awesome.
    REFmachine.jpg

@Iciban The low poly was actually not that hard to do. I just had to step back and really focus on the simple and broad shapes. Here is a picture!
    bts_QuickOverview.jpg

Basically, I went through and marked down the sections I wanted to actually see in the silouette. Then focused on the depth of the pipes just because of the angle in which you are viewing them. Most of the middle section is covered on the side view from the massive support structure which allowed me to get away with making it completely flat in alot of areas. Lastly, pay attention to the sections I chose to hard edge to minimize awful normal bending. There are a few weird bits left to paint out but ehh, for the most part you never see them. Lastly, I use maya to model. Thanks for your question!
  • shrogg
    Offline / Send Message
    shrogg polycounter lvl 12
    Minor updates.
    I don't know why I never posted this, but here is where most of my inspiration came from for this machine. Not sure who did it, but man its awesome.
    REFmachine.jpg

Ooh, this is where my extensive internet trawling comes in handy.
    That machine is the Large Hydron Collider :)

Its specifically this image here which has the following caption
    The silicon strip tracker of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) nears completion. Shown here are three concentric cylinders, each comprised of many silicon strip detetectors (the bronze-coloured rectangular devices, similar to the CCDs used in digital cameras). These surround the region where the protons collide. (© CERN) #

Source: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/11/large_hadron_collider_ready_to.html

l11_00000001.jpg
  • chriszuko
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa Snap! Thanks for sharing shrogg! Never would have guessed it would be part of that! Makes it more awesome that its real. I've seen that collider before, just never seen that crazy image of the insides.
  • Mortusnyte
    Looks great, keep it up. Would love to see a breakdown of your assets.