Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bao's Sci-Fi Suit WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
Hey Polycount community :D
So this is actually a portfolio piece i am working on. I just thought i should get this stuff online so here it goes:

This was actually the basic idea. in case you wonder why the hips are so big its just that i think it is cool to design an integrated weapon holster :D
forumideao.jpgideanu.jpg

so this one is more of an iterated version:
conceptall.jpg

Some helm goggles design :
goggle1q.jpg
goggle2.jpg

Okay and here is the latest concept:
(Note: the design is not done!)

1. Dont mind the "foldable sniper rifle" design since its just an idea i know it looks crap xD

2. I dont like the helm since its pretty generic so i will redesign the helm

3. Belly part and the back have these (let's call these) rollerblades which actually dont have a funtion so i will just get them away

lineart2g.jpg

Ok so i started the 3d model and this is the progress so far:

I modeled a basemesh and im'm currently doing the "inner suit" and the gloves i'm more or less done so far

frontjeb.jpg
backmw.jpg
sidebs.jpg
hand1j.jpg
hand2.jpg

Sry for the long post.
thanks in advance for your feedback and critics:thumbup:
Cheers

Replies

• SanjiWhite
    The concept reminds me a lot of Dead Space and Crysis (the helmet). It looks pretty cool to me :thumbup:

Those 'rollerblade things' actually look pretty cool. Maybe you can sell them as connectors for oxygen tanks or some sort of external device :)
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey SanjiWhite :D
    thanks but thats why i'm gonna change the helmet :D
    and btw i already had this idea of kinda oxygen tanks u mentioned but oh well let's see :D
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I'm loving the look of the helmet and this idea:
    GmkMtpK.png

Keep it up! :thumbup:
  • HapZungLam2
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    I very like the design. As you mention that you want to make the hip big. But I think it can even be bigger. Just a thought. I have a picture in my mind that if it goes extreme and I do agreed that it'll look very iconic and stylized.

About the helm. You may try adding similar treatment as you did to the suit especially those tubes which steams out. I think it'll look very cool if they are on the helm too.
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Really like the design Bao, but in my opinion the wrist buckles in 3D are a bit to medieval, in the concept they fit better to the suit.
    Keep it up!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    wow dude, resize your images before you upload, this is insane

I really love the visor with the dots, its exactly my target group haha, but its more about how you represented
    it in 2D
  • Ciril
    Offline / Send Message
    Ciril polycounter lvl 5
    Really like these detailed concepts! The gloves come really cool across. The only thing that confuses me a little is this oldschool looking belt buckle on the wrists.

Think something like that would fit better:

rsack_tn1.jpg2945faea-b9eb-47b9-97fe-08845376ba84Larger.jpg
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    thanks guys!

by the way
    @PatTl92 & @Ciril Yeah i'm gonna change em since i made some new ones at the pouches now :D

Anyway here is an update:
    made the folds of the upper inner suit and the belt.
    these pouches need to be sculpted but thats how far i got today :D
    front1bw.jpg
    back1r.jpg
    side1fa.jpg
    sidewayj.jpg
  • Maxi Keilich
    Hi Bao :)

I am a huge fan of the concept, because you have put so much effort into making everything work in a logical way. Many artists don't seem to care whether something would work in real life or not, they just want to make it look cool.
    But the fact that you do care really sets your design apart from the lot of sci-fi suits out there.

My favorite design for the helmet would be the one with the night vision goggles, because it looks very futuristic and somewhat intimidating, but in a good way^^

I also like that the girl is wearing an actual suit, not some super-sexy, skin-tight body suit. It looks very badass and I love the broad hip area, because she still looks very feminine and attractive, even in full armor.

The gloves look so damn good, the amount of detail is beautiful. But I agree that the buckles look a bit old-fashioned in comparison to the rest.

The latest update is sick! :D The pouches and the crotch protection look really cool. But my favorite part is the way the fabric creates wrinkles because of the body armor. Those details give the character a very realistic and believable look and feel.

I am constantly amazed by your skills and talent and your remarkable attention to detail. I am really looking forward to see your progress and updates, keep up the great work :)
  • Maxi Keilich
    Hi Bao :)

I am a huge fan of the concept, because you have put so much effort into making everything work in a logical way. Many artists don't seem to care whether something would work in real life or not, they just want to make it look cool.
    But the fact that you do care really sets your design apart from the lot of sci-fi suits out there.

My favorite design for the helmet would be the one with the night vision goggles, because it looks very futuristic and somewhat intimidating, but in a good way^^

I also like that the girl is wearing an actual suit, not some super-sexy, skin-tight body suit. It looks very badass and I love the broad hip area, because she still looks very feminine and attractive, even in full armor.

The gloves look so damn good, the amount of detail is beautiful. But I agree that the buckles look a bit old-fashioned in comparison to the rest.

The latest update is sick! :D The pouches and the crotch protection look really cool. But my favorite part is the way the fabric creates wrinkles because of the body armor. Those details give the character a very realistic and believable look and feel.

I am constantly amazed by your skills and talent and your remarkable attention to detail. I am really looking forward to see your progress and updates, keep up the great work :)
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    thx maxi :D

quick update: just moddeled the hard surface leg shells :D
    95596846.jpg
    89030229.jpg
    boots are more or less done... for now :D
    boots4z.jpg
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    Thought i should do an update.
    blocked out some goggles though not sure if i wanna keep em

ip6b.jpg

6th2.jpg

lh8.JPG

0m7j.jpg
  • Griffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Griffin polycounter lvl 6
    The silhouette of the helmet reminds me of a medieval knights helmet, which is very cool. If you're unsure of the goggle design, maybe go back and look at some medieval ref, and try to design a sci fi faceplate/goggle adaptation.
  • This_Is_Icarus
    Offline / Send Message
    This_Is_Icarus polycounter lvl 4
    looks sick can not wait to see this finished :)
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    @Griffin yeah thanks :D i guess i will stick to the goggles. gotta define them more.

thanks @ This_Is_Icarus

so here is the mechanism.

x4k7.jpg

5x5f.jpg

hxmd.jpg

v7d1.jpg
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Like the helm silhouette, keep it up :)
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    update:D
    done with the face

yxoa.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    No offense but you have such great helmet concepts and you decide to go with this one ?
    The goggles just mess up your proportions. Also if the head is so low down now, whats the rest of the helmet for ? Giant brains haha ; )

face looks really good so far
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    yeah totally agree goggles just dont seem to fit.
    yeah didnt notice but the helmet looks way to big :D
    yeah well i personally dont like the helmet concept i did and this design is the one i feel more comfortable with. thanks Shrike really appreciate it :D
  • Bao92
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    update on my suit

uby.png