Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Ranger Portfolio Piece

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
garriola83 greentooth
I'm currently redoing one of my personal projects from last year, now that I got a proper workflow with ZBrush and 3DS Max.

8752737845_7327d0e970_h.jpg
8752738133_3291248909_h.jpg
8752737523_c8a23067ef_h.jpg

I already started poly painting, but some crits and suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    folds on hands looks too generic, same for boots, where all that folds came from?

it looks like she got suit with sleeves that had double length and pulled them up.

If material type of suit should be something like silk, which can get such folds, i'd suggest to make folds much wider

just imo, from realworld experience
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    update
    8807771720_fe8c53fb38_h.jpg

I have no folds on the hands yet. If you mean the arms, I changed it on the arms a bit and as for boots...
    Charlotte-Russe-Slouchy-Thigh-High-Heel-Boots-2.jpgBlack+Faux+Leather+Slouchy+Thigh+High+Heel+Boots.jpg
    look up thigh high boots folds...but looking at it now, i need a little more gravity and silhouette on the leather
    The suit is multi-layered, consisting of re-inforced cotton(shirt, pants) and custom leather (corset, leggings, boots, archer's gloves, jacket with a cowl)
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta admit; im super disappointed I didnt see a female power ranger in this thread :|

lol, but seriously the folds are super intense on the sleeve ans boots
    Yes your ref is littered with folds on the boots, but it still has areas of sharp intense folds and larger softer creases/folds

Ontop of that, it also looks pretty skin tight, in which your reference indicate the opposite. In your design the straps on her shins indicate design (pretty straps!) as well as being legit (to help tighten and keep in place)

Yet i see no folds/creases from those straps?

Biggest oddity I see (also like to say I have very little experience in creating folded leather/clothing) you have it laced in the back...the tightening of those laces I feel like should cause pressure and PULL the material, in which the folds are generated through them throughout the boot. In your design, this area is the smoothest. Can I get someone else to clarify this issue?

As for the shirt; idk how it should look, but id suggest hitting the reference again for it. Clothing drapes on the outside of the arm pretty much because of gravity with how it connects, and then of course vertical folds are created through it being scrunched. Your laces there will add/enhance/detract from this in a specfic manner id think

Good luck!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    ah so loosen up the volume of the boots to make them sag so the wrinkles make sense? i gotcha, i'll make sense of those folds in a jiff.
    Also, its a hood short coat, not a shirt you are referring to, so the material will be thicker than usual but not as thick as heavy leather. The shirt is inside, with the reinforced interweaving leather bands.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    So I made a few changes to the boots and the wrinkles of the coat.
    8849217554_23cf79bc54_o.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I think she's looking good. My eyes most of all wonder what that plate like thing over her crotch is. Seems like maybe part of the pants but it interupts the strips, and it doesn't continue underneath and over her butt, so I don't know either what it is or how it stays on.

Also there was that post a couple weeks past about the female knight and her impractical armor. Honestly I don't see how people think that's impracticle, but high heals on a ranger is fine.

Anways, just style stuff, but looking good.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    In their defense, practicality is part of design. But we ARE making VIDEO GAME characters...there will be some stuff that will kinda stand out and just appeal to aesthetics rather than function. I think high heels would be one of them, unless the character utilizes her feet in some way that high heels would seem dumb to have on.

Some people also say that about guns or vehicles. Sure some designs are wild and out of this world, but honestly....guns are made as cheaply as possible so the less profile made with enough materials still sporting the best function wins. Same with cars, the best cars that last a long time are the ones that have a vanilla, compact, fuel economic look; exotic cars are pretty but impractical in every sense of the word. So we make them interesting, but with a sense of function.

But I feel ya dude. Also thanks.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    garriola83 wrote: »
    ...unless the character utilizes her feet in some way that high heels would seem dumb to have on.

You mean like run? Through a forest? Fight? Etc etc?

Anyways, I was just pointing it out, but I don't really care anymore than I cared with the female knight one. Mostly I'm just giving you a hard time. My own portfolio is filled with its own impracticalities where design were valued over function.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    I think you missed the part in which I agreed with you; I was just playing devil's advocate. I try to balance aesthetics and function as well.
    Women can do amazing things in high heels. Just not for a whole entire day.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83 the latest update is SICK...she is looking AWESOME

for points of critique
    1) Your "diamond" folds seems odd and forced everywhere I see them (thigh leather and sleeves)
    2) Your folds on her shirt ABOVE the belt look awkward and as if it is a different material in comparison to beneath the belt...I'd tone down the fold'age above her belt
    3) Personally the way the pants cup her ass seems incorrect, however, if you are trying to make a sexy ranger and like the look it establishes, then ignore this
    4) The folds you have created look great in some areas and look awkward in others; I think something that has happened due to you listening to critique (which I say that as a good thing, but make sure you AGREE with your critique; just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean you should change it);
    What I'm trying to say in this point is the folds and creases aren't consistent throughout your materials...the boots could be argued that the leather is a different type of leather from the rest of her armor, but regardless the sleeves/jacket, abdomen, thigh, and boots also have different intensities...maybe try and reach a middleground of intense and softer detail?

In my personal opinion, I love the folds on the back of her arm, around the knee, and the boots (though I feel some of those could be made a bit more sharp).

I hope I'm not encouraging you to get caught up in details that take you forever to fix :(...I really dig this design and find her sexy yet practical for sure

I took a moment to google some ref; I hope some of these you find helpful

long-padded-chausses-1.jpg
    il_570xN.314225745.jpg
    860417803?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pleaserusa.com%2Fpic%2FLegend-8868-BRLE.jpg&d=9ee344d178e34d1f4bf5e3a31a510f0fffab83ee
    4842543504_b824f81696.jpg
    The_Only_Mord_Sith_To_Win_Richard_bridget_regan.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, so, this isn't sleeves, but this might be good ref for them; even the boots
    Boots_by_StellarReverie.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    [SF]Three9: Great crit! Yeah let me revise those folds now that you've shown me those pics. I've been mostly been asking other people to pose for me with their leather ensembles so that's where I get my refs from. But I think now that the leather they wore is too thin or synthetic to really match what I'm going for here so the pics help a whole lot thanks! I'll post a little update in a couple of days.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    some small tweaks here and there
    8868717500_a6c6e9d01a_o.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it!!!!

Nice thong btw :P
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    yeah I just couldnt think of a way to finish off that front crotch panel all the way around so...thong armor=legit, lol Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of a better way down the road, I'm still getting a feel of the high poly. Now I'll work on the quiver and then the bow.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    That bit seems fine to me; I mean, it worked well enough for Guts:
    55391-c8a1c43df20df12884302a2a05a9d52781eac599_super.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey garriola, amazing work so far on your new project. The intricate design and layered appearance of the jacket is especially awesome.

You should take a look at some ref images of Triss Merigold from the witcher series. The character art for her in Witcher 2 was outstanding. I've included a few ref images if you haven't already taken a peek.

original.jpg
    tumblr_lpn4y83Fd61qctq9do1_500.jpg

Looking at the latest turnaround I fell that her head is tad small for the body and her face may be too far forward but its hard to tell without a full on side view. Also I know that this is WIP but the boots could have a sharper crease to them.

Keep it up mate. You've got me subbed.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    The Witcher 2 definitely inspired me a lot on the costume design. Thanks for the tips! I just recently moved and my rig is in transit so no updates for a while.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Tweaked the high poly and the head scale and the position. Added more themes throughout the costume, like ribbons, beauty marks, etc. I think I'm gonna go with the low poly if there aren't any glaring issues anyone can spot. Arrows are placeholders.
    9000029942_e2c22bee56_o.jpg
    8998844307_6863f56f05_o.jpg
    9000029626_1f703edf68_o.jpg
    9000029630_ae4e2568ea_o.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i jsut recently moved back home so i was out for a while...
    i made a few tweaks to the face and polypaint, time to retopo
    9060529904_22dc091d3f_o.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    loving the unusual face! jt might be a bit wide from the side but the front is lovely
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Arya Stark all grown up :D Great work so far

Arya_season3.png
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Great stuff! The witcher is good reference to draw from, and I really like where you're taking your character.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    looking forward to seeing the bake, this is coming on great...maybe simplify the belt buckle a little? it seems very ornate in an otherwise clean model...like a little island of busy that just sticks out a little too much, this is however, to my personal tastes and I'm probably well off the mark :D
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i havent updated in a while cuz i was biulding a new computer so here we go....
    just a basic bake test, more to come
    9159368224_ffbbfcaed8_o.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    low poly with polypaint texture and normals
    9191184730_9ba03239e1_o.jpg
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking really awesome, I agree about the super ornate belt buckle, but then again maybe thats because the quiver is missing since in the other shots the quiver does a nice job of balancing the entire model. Im excited to see this finished :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    update, i'll be putting in the quiver soon...
    9271547410_f1118d9c71_o.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sound bake of the normals and polypaint buddy and you've done an amazing job on the hair. May I ask how planes you used?

Now comes the fun part of adding dirt and detail. Plus at this point you can try adding colour to the belt buckle. It could be chipped and flaking.

But keep at it mate, cannot wait to see the next pass.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Good stuff. I'll work on the accessories and the try to add subtle dirt passes andwhatnot.
    as for the hair, i first sculpted the overall shape of it, then used polydraw in 3DS max to create strips. The one thing you gotta keep in mind is that the strips have to be of the same or nearly the same width from beginning to end, otherwise the texture will look janky.
    this might help
    http://wiki.polycount.com/HairTechnique
    here are my wires
    9272333494_ac1a70b502_o.jpg
    if you want more specifics, lmk, thanks!
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    looks fantastic :) like the colors and the clean details! you seem to have slight stretching at the thong part though, one of the edges is a little warped. not a big deal but it caught my eye :)
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    thanks for the kind words everyone
    just a small update, fix that thong a bit, haha
    9283577749_bb3e892544_o.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    just a larger image
    9316281987_0ac0a6249d_o.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    theres a thingy at the one armpit...i'll go back and fix it...
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    She looks great. Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but her chest looks a bit too red, like she's got sun burn.
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    beautyfull man , great job!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    thanks man i reduced the redness on the chest so i hope it doesnt look so burnt haha
    im calling it done. i'll make a pdf making of the ranger from all this.
    9323501029_a149555a97_h.jpg
    9326295592_85b440c284_h.jpg
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, less sun burn is looking better. I'd maybe reduce it a little bit more, but this piece come out awesome nonetheless. Looking forward to that PDF.
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    I love it, I think the colors could be changed to some more red or something rather than pink, but thats just a personal opinion. Great piece.
  • garriola83
  • IHeartPad
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking fantastic mate!!!

But I have to say I'm still a fan of wear and tear and I feel it could really add to this piece further. For example take the arrow pouch, around the rim I would expect to see scratches, dirt build up from the constant use of arrows being removed or place back in. The boots are also another place where you would expect mud and dirt to collect on the toe and heel area.

I have to say I'm glad to hear you're also creating a pdf of you process and I’ll look forward to a good read mate. Just keep going as this piece is looking awesome!
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet!
    Really liking the style on this. Looking forward to the pdf!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Thanks Di$array, i'll definitely put more wear and tear on the piece, but hopefully it doesn't take away from the aesthetics of it all. Definitely a good suggestions.