• Noia
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 13
    Go figure they show this the day I try to sell my Cintiq 12WX. :(

Still pretty slick.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    $999, still major inflated pricing. Bah.
  • bounchfx
    The 12wx was way too freakin small for me, and 1k is still unfortunately heavily priced.. should be $800 max :\. I love the form factor, its really pretty, and honestly the biggest + to me is the new cable.. the other one before was NOT portable at all. I was hoping this would be wireless but ah well. The new screen rez is awesome too... if anything, I see this as being a great companion if you use a laptop, but unfortunately not different enough from the 12wx for someone like me.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Not sure if there's something really different about the cable tho ... it was already "3 in 1" before, right ? I mean, it will still require a power brick and all ...
  • bounchfx
    oh, damn. in the image they showed it looked mad light and I assumed it was a straight plug with no brick. The brick of the other one was a hassle to tote around.
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    yea it is probably still using the brick, I used to have the 12wx and it had a similiar cable setup. This looks to be a lot lighter and slimmer though.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    A little bit pricey, but only by a little bit. What's most important IMO is if they sorted out the screen. Every cintiq has had people complaining of either yellowy tinged screens of sparkly screens. If they sorted that and added enough new features I'd look into it.

Is it just me that finds that the wheels on recent wacoms don't actually work as wheels? I want to be able to dynamically increase/decrease brush sizes, or zoom in and out. If you're putting a circular input on a device, make it spin damn you!

Love that bit of animation they have on the page; wonder how they're doing that? HTML 5 or Flash?
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Still to small for my tastes :P

3 in 1 cable looks kinda looks cool, dual usb? and a power cord.
  • kevlar jens
    Having an 11" Samsung Slate that I sometimes paint with PS on, I'd say 13" is too darn small for something that's stationary. I'd rather just have an itty-bitty Intous, and see what I'm doing on a 20+ inch PC monitor.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I like the HD screen res. I'm curious to see how it looks with a HDMI > VGA adapter and the power attachment. Hopefully it's not that giant brick. I'm anxious for it though.
  • Gusti
    Now we just have to wait for a brave person to buy one and give us feedback when it comes out in April.

I had the 12WX and sold it after a few months of infuriating usage.
    While the actual screen size fit perfect for me (just a smidge smaller than my Intuos L 15" draw surface size) the screen resolution was not up to snuff, and made most program UI´s a pain to use.
    Also the border pen-jitter on the 12WX was and is the one thing that makes that thing unusable for anything but rough sketching in my view.

Trying to use the "File" menu in something like maya on that tablet would often result in much irritation.
    Trying to move vertexes around with precision anywhere on the screen surface was often times impossible. The slightest interference from a close by electrical device would often make the the cursor shake manically one or two pixels back and forth, so you were constantly forced to take your hand off the screen and use the mouse.

Personally, I dont use my mouse at all when I´m using any 3D package.
    I find that with an intuos tablet, all editing feels much smoother and more fluid to me with the pen.

I do hope this tablet solves those key issues as it might get me to consider swapping up to it from my Intuos.
    I loved the whole work on a screen surface feel I got on the 12WX, which is probably why its flaws stood out so much to me and irritated me to no end :P
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    i had the 12 wx and it was great, but the screen is just too small, if you're working on a texture or a sculpt, once the ui is taken into account, there's not much space left for seeing your work. it's like drawing on a small notebook.

With the cintiqs, if you can't afford the big one, don't bother in my opinion
  • WarrenM
    I would temper that with anything at the 21" level and higher is fine. I have a 24" at home but my wife has my old 21" and it's perfectly usable as well. 12-13 might be a LITTLE tiny, depending on what you're doing...
  • soulstice
  • schneller
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I think I'd wait to see what this summer brings with the standalone tablet before making any decisions. My biggest gripe with the 12WX was screen quality and screen size, but this screen does look much nicer.

Here's a hands-on vid:
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/19/wacom-cintiq-13hd-hands-on/
  • Mangled Poly
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Price on this still seems way to high! It seems like that price you can have a full functioning tablet.
  • WarrenM
    Fully functioning except for the pressure sensitive pen. :P
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    yey!! They finally upgraded from 12 to 13 :D
  • Ninjas
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Happy to see an update for the 12WX. Been using mine a few years now, and I was really wanting an update. I spent around $2K on a Thinkpad x230t recently, and while it's pretty decent, it has some issues. Probably going to buy one of these.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    using my 12inch cintiq like an intuos, the screen isn't even plugged in
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Fully functioning except for the pressure sensitive pen. :P

MS Surface Pro is about the same price isnt it(?), and it's pressure sensitive:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/24/the-ms-surface-pro
  • WarrenM
    It's supposed to be but last I heard it didn't work in anything other than Sketchbook Pro ... Did they work that out yet?
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn this looks very nice. Perhaps with the new resolution the small size would not be such a big problem. I would love to be able to at least test one of those. I could imagine the price in Europe would be more too as we know how it works. I am also waiting for that Lenovo dispaly to come out as I would mostly use this for sculpting and texturing so the small size might not be such a big issue as I suppose it is for concepting or drawing/painting.
  • Vysuki
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Ui shouldn't be an issue, its res is 1920x1080. You just may need a magnifying glass to see your details.
  • DeeKei
    pish, we have this thing called zoom!

honestly, i wanna see how it connects. if it doesnt require the brick and i can orient it left handedly, then ill prolly sell off my current cintiq for this.
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I have a question :) when you use one of those you can't use 2 other monitors right? This will actually be your second monitor?
  • gsokol
    Depends on your hardware setup. Its treated as its own monitor though, so if you can normally only use 2 monitors, then yes, its your second monitor.
  • build.
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Reading the comments in the engadget article the writer clarifies that there is no power brick, seemingly just a power lead plug which is a nice positive. I'm excited to pick one of these up as I've been looking to do an upgrade from a small intuos.
  • bounchfx
    build. wrote: »
    Reading the comments in the engadget article the writer clarifies that there is no power brick, seemingly just a power lead plug which is a nice positive. I'm excited to pick one of these up as I've been looking to do an upgrade from a small intuos.

nice! if true, that's a pretty big win for portability.
  • R0gu3
    No Brick in the pictures

800x600_13HD_07.jpg

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-13hd

Looks awesome, I wish I had that kind of money...
  • DeeKei
    hmm so whats the third output connect to? either way no power brick pretty much means im sold on this.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    It connects to a power cable. They just aren't showing it for some reason. The engadget guy that did the article comments that it just plugs to a wall plug and not a brick.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the cables on the whole line of this generation of Cintiq's are pretty great - I have a 22hd at work and the power brick is about half the size of previous models
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    It's good that it's no longer using the brick, I found it to be a hassle with the 12" model. I also love that it can be oriented for left handed people now :p
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i want one of these, finally another reason to collect some money
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    So the Cintiq 13HD came in today. The HD camera I was going to use ran out of juice so some quick cell phone pics will have to do.

Pros include being light weight, well built and easy to move around or prop up on lap. The power brick is more like a power stone, so it takes up very little space. I really like the extra USB port attached to the display itself.

I noticed no jitter or odd behavior around the edges, though when the display shows something flat and dark, you notice (at least for me) a very bad light bleed just in the upper left hand corner.

Cons: Pen doesnt feel as good as past pens (buttons are stiff and lack that clicky feeling that some prefer), colors are a bit flat and dull with default settings, buttons on the actual tablet are stiff and have to be pressed HARD to get input. Small size can result in hunching over which doenst feel good after awhile.

I also started to miss the scroll wheels or strips featured on past cintiqs/intuos. I always found them useful when scrolling through a website or folder full of assets.

The pen is also smaller than previous pens, which isnt really a problem but is worth noting. The tablet itself is also smaller than the mid sized Intuos 3 and vastly smaller than the cintiq 20wsx I have. Can always show a side by side comparison upon request.

1174i6w.jpg

Power "brick"
    ofyq9k.jpg

wvyiow.jpg
  • Sculptaur
    Thanks Dataday, I'm thinking about trying to get one when I'm in Hawaii next week. They are a bit cheaper in the states then they are here in New Zealand. None of the Con's you listed seem like they would be too much of an issue for me.

Have you tried using ZBrush or Mudbox with it yet?
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Hows the latency? I'm not shading my impression off this one experience but when I used it at GDC it had some HORRIBLE lag. unusable is not an overstatement.
    Possibly due too overheating machines or something. anyone with home experience to give their impression?
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    Thanks Dataday, I'm thinking about trying to get one when I'm in Hawaii next week. They are a bit cheaper in the states then they are here in New Zealand. None of the Con's you listed seem like they would be too much of an issue for me.

Have you tried using ZBrush or Mudbox with it yet?

Np.

I have a zbrush license so yeah, after photoshop thats the second thing I tested.

Works fine like you would imagine, the interface is a bit small but thats to be expected. The side buttons make it easy to navigate around and call on certain functions, but again they require a bit of hard pushing to work.

The lcd's high pixel density gives it a nice feel.

208k9jc.jpg
    Hows the latency? I'm not shading my impression off this one experience but when I used it at GDC it had some HORRIBLE lag. unusable is not an overstatement.
    Possibly due too overheating machines or something. anyone with home experience to give their impression?

No noticeable lag on my end. In fact its probably one of the most responsive wacoms I have seen so far, which was a pleasant surprise.
  • tupwick
    Awesome! Thanks for your thoughts on this.
    I'm going to be relocating and seeing the cintiq 13 pop up has inspired me to sell my desktop/intuos setup and replace it with a macbook/cintiq 13 so I can be more flexible. Most glad to hear the responsiveness is high!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like a nice size... A4-ish it seems.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I did an in depth review on my blog http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1079

Here's the text (fancy pictures on the blog post):

So cut to the chase. Is the Cintiq 13HD an amazing device worthy of your purchase? YES. But should you purchase it? Read on.
    Now with that out of the way let's get more in depth. I have used some form of Wacom Intuos for over 10 years. I've loved each of them. That is until I was able to use a Cintiq 21UX on a regular basis. I love the feedback of painting and sculpting directly on the objects on a screen instead of on a blank surface off the side of my desk. So I got hooked on using a Cintiq to paint, sculpt, and create art.
    I use a laptop as my full-time computer set up. I do not actually work on a desk at home. I work sitting in a recliner in the living room, at the kitchen table, or at a coffee shop. I like being able to fit all my computer hardware into a backpack. The Cintiq 21UX is a large device and cannot fit into a backpack. So it's a bit difficult to be mobile with the larger Cintiq models. When the Cintiq 13HD was announced I realized that it would be a perfect addition to my set up. So I ordered one and anxiously waited by the front door for it to arrive.

Hardware

The hardware is well built. It's sturdy but light. The cable is thin and doesn't require a lot of wrapping up. The pen is their most comfortable yet. The pen is a bit thinner than past Wacom device pens, which makes it closer to an actual pen (Although not quite there yet). The penholder case is probably the best part (and that's actually a large challenge). The penholder case feels like a spy movie gadget. It is well built and designed for easy use. The pen case is magnetic and has just enough hold to keep the pen closed but not struggle to hard to open it.
    The corners on the actual Cintiq 13HD hardware are rounded and not pointed. The device weight is near an Intuos 4 medium tablet. The size is almost identical to an Intuos 4 tablet (though a smidge thinner).
    There are 4 programmable buttons, a d-pad like circular buttons set and a center button for the d-pad. In total that is 9 buttons to program how you see fit. Each of these buttons is raised slightly from the surface and is easy enough to press.
    The connector does not connect very securely. It feels as though it could snap off if you move the device around while it's connected. It's not a deal breaker. This is just something to be aware of. If you're setting it on a table or not moving it's fine.
    The stand is thin and light yet can support your arm weight on it just fine. There are 3 levels to adjust the stand to. There are 2 slots on the back of the Cintiq for the stand to snap into. The bottom one acts as a hinge and the top one holds the stand firmly snapped in if you want to flatten the stand but still keep it attached to the device. You can also remove the stand completely if you decide to.
    The Cintiq 13HD also fit nicely in the Intuos 3/4 medium case that the company directly manufactures. You also have enough room for the pen. This makes carrying around the device a bit easier if you're worried about the screen getting damaged in transportation.

The Software

The software side is very similar to recent Wacom drivers. The system set up is very easy and allows you to customize all 9 buttons on it.
    One nice thing the software adds is an on screen keyboard. This is great it's small and convenient to use. You can only assign it to the 5 buttons around the d-pad. Which is a shame. It would just be nice to be able to assign that to another button.
    It would be nice to be able to adjust the screen brightness a little easier. I like to turn up the brightness on my screen and the 13HD seems like it's one step below max brightness on my laptop. You have to adjust the brightness in the default operating system preferences and not in the Wacom drivers or on the device.
    But how does it work?
    This device is comfortable and very easy to use.
    The pen moves around on screen very smoothly. Since this is essentially a screen device lag only occurs on an underpowered machine. My 2010 Macbook Pro had no lag or issues with this on the OsX or Windows 7 side. I have not tested it on any other computers.

Summary

So to bring it all together this device is the current cream of the Wacom crop design-wise. They have outdone themselves and instead of just iterate on past designs they have really retooled as pushed things further than with previous iterations. It's a bit pricey at $999 but for what you are getting and the quality of the device it's worth it in my book.
    If you have a desk, desktop machine that you never leave and need a second monitor then get one of the larger Cintiq devices. If you're on the go more, use a laptop, or want to store the Cintiq while not in use then get the 13HD.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Thanks for the write-up, Jeff.

I'm so tempted to buy one of these but nowhere has any to try out and I'm very wary of two things; firstly the response, is it as good as an Intuous?

Secondly, the whole 'my pen nib is not quite on the bit of the screen I'm painting on because of the glass' was an issue for me on bigger Cintiq's, if you know what I mean, is that an issue on the 13HD?

Those are the two areas the 13hd truly excels actually.

The response time is the fastest I have ever experienced on any cintiq and I have been able to use just about all of them at one point or another.

Theres also very very very little gap between lcd and where the pen is placed, so its even closer to that "draw on the screen" feeling.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks TeeJay!

Response is great. Very on point with the Intuos.

The pen on the screen being off is still there. That's probably going to be around for a while. Apple's new iMac is the only screen close enough to reduce that. And even that isn't perfect.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    So wait that wheel thing is a d-pad and not a touch-wheel? shame.
  • tupwick
    Great review, thanks for doing that! I'm more and more convinced I need this in my life!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say the Contiq TeeJay. You can still use it as an Intous is you only connect the USB too.

Snacuum yeah the lack of a wheel bums me out too. Would have been better.

tupwick it's great for sculpting and painting. Just modeling and photo textures? Maybe get an Intuos. Just think about what you'll be doing.
  • mnolocon
    Hi jeff, thanks for the post regards the cintiq 13hd.
    I'm hoping you could shine some light on a dilemma I'm having. I'm putting together a portfolio to get a job and I'm tempted to swap my cintiq 21ux(2010) for a 13hd. I love my cintiq and I run it from my MacBook Pro. I use zbrush and modo as well as photoshop. The cintiq 13hd looks very tempting. As a cintiq user would you recommend the 13 over the 21ux? My worry is when I use modo the quad layout will be too small to navigate in. I can see how zbrush would be great especially since the resolution will be all tight and fine, and painting in photoshop I could have the hd quality that my 21ux lacks. The mobility and the fact the 13 takes up less space is tempting me to swap too. I've looked online at reviews and watched videos on youtube to imagine how it wouldwork within my work flow but your hands on experience would really help me. Thanks in advance.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There's no point, it's a nonsense using a cintiq as a intuos... that's a huge waste of money guys. You can buy a large intuos 5 for ~400 euros or less (the big one).

This one is not something of my taste, very small. I would like to see a better 24" cintiq than the actual ones, with a good screen and a better response. I tried the cintiq and the imput lag was horrible, i ended pretty sad.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    If you use a Cintiq as an Intuos 100% of the time it would be a waste of money. Totally agree it's nonsense. Just saying it's possible.

Lag is much better than the 21UX (at least to me). Except when I watched Netflix, burned a DVD, played Crysis 3, plugged in my USB toaster, and tried to paint in Phoshop. Then I had some noticeable lag painting. But I did have toast. So that's a win.

mnolocon: I would say keep the Cintiq you already have. That's just my advice. But try out the Cintiq 13HD for yourself if you can. Just seems small for what you're doing.