Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nikola Tesla office

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
kimmokaunela ngon master
Nikola Tesla was the most important inventors and geniuses of 20th century and the inventor of the Tesla coil. I want to tribute this scene to him and all the work that he done for us.

I like to put little details in my works to really make them tell a story. It´s hard to make a interesting looking scene when the subject is Nikola Tesla and his inventions. There is still something mysterious about his innovations and concepts like "infinite energy" and my favorite "wireless energy".

The art style is similar like Bioshock Infinite has but I´m not trying to make it precisely like it.

This is my second big project with UDK but I´m learning fast. First I tried to do this with Unity 3D but soon realize that it´s not the best way to do it.

teslalabscene1.jpg

teslalabscene2.jpg

teslalabprev1.jpg

teslalabprev4.jpg

teslalabprev2.jpg

teslalabprev3.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I like the lighting with this one but the asset images could be better/more informative without the bloom.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    The bloom! It hurts my eyes!

Beside that, I'm really impressed by this, I like the way it turned out. Good work!
  • DWalker
    The wall sconces really don't feel right - the base is too broad for the underlying wood beam, and the glass has no visible means of support. The neck is also a bit too simple; I'd expect thicker rings at the base and end.

I'd expect the light from one set of windows to be much brighter than from the other; as it stands, the sun appears to be streaming from two directions.

In a similar vein, the wall facing directly away from the sun should be deeper in the shadows, if only in contrast to the brightness of the sunlight.
  • Boozebeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Technically it's good but the overall design of the scene really doesn't work for me.

The first thing that caught my eye was the 2 chairs for some reason. It just looks really odd, I think one chair would work much better.

Second thing is that it just looks so empty, especially for an inventors office! I want to see clutter, weird discarded contraptions, schematics strewn across the desks, stacks of books, things that look like they are still being worked on. As it stands it doesn't look like any kind of serious work is really going on in this room, let alone inventing.

Third thing is the barrels just look totally out of place. Barrels are something I associate with liquids and foods. I definitely can't imagine "electrical components" coming in barrels, they just look weird in the scene.

"It´s hard to make a interesting looking scene when the subject is Nikola Tesla and his inventions." - I don't agree with this at all! It would be hard to make an interesting scene if the subject was an accountant not when it's one of the most innovative, experimental people of recent history and from such an aesthetically iconic era to boot.

Edit: I hope this doesn't seem too harsh. As I said I think the assets are good technically, the design of the scene just needs more thinking about. I think it could look really great!
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    So finally I can wrap this one. Here is some screen of the scene. This one took too much time of my life :) Now I need to think what I´m going to do next!

nikola_tesla_lab___udk_environment__2_by_kimmokaunela-d65rx1k.jpg

nikola_tesla_lab___udk_environment__4_by_kimmokaunela-d65rwy0.jpg

nikola_tesla_lab___udk_environment__1_by_kimmokaunela-d65rwyb.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I know you're calling it done, but a few things that still stand out to me are the white light beams coming from a warmer light source. And the AO is way too strong in my opinion. Two easy fixes :)
  • ARCallejas
    Offline / Send Message
    ARCallejas polycounter lvl 10
    I really dig the palette. But I do feel that the over all piece could benefit from the lighting being toned down. Also, something about the scale of things in relation to each other still feels off. I recommend putting in a human sized place holder in the scene to use as a reference.

That being said, this is still really cool. Keep up the good work!
  • KennyTies
    Just wanted to hop in and say I really enjoy your texture work alot. Great job!
  • Linx453
    Offline / Send Message
    Linx453 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeh I agree, the scene is too bright and just being picky here but some of the books near the armchair are facing the same angle, Kinda ruins the immersion. Apart from that I love this! Great work!