Home Unreal Engine

Help Vertex Snap in UDK???

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
Is there any Vertex snap in udk?

Right now i have my Unit setup in max at: generic Units, System Units at Inches,

And my 3 Tile Walls that are all individual but fit perfectly together in max when I snap them to each other.

The grid and snap settings in max have grid points, and vertex checked.

And in the home grid tab I have the grid spacing set on 1. The major lines every Nth grid line set on 10 and perspective view grid extent on 7.

When I export my objects the pivot lies on the corner vertex of the object.

And when I import them into udk they never snap perfectly to the edges as the do in max.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? :poly127: :poly127: :(

Replies

• Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    The grid in Unreal is a power of two, so your meshes must be for example 128 units long to easily snap in that grid. Since you work with a grid of 1 in Max you'd need to set the grid to 1 in Unreal also, which would greatly slow down your work flow.

Also there is a possibility you got export scaling enabled or some other form of unit conversion going on. Try to make a 128 width box, export it, place in Unreal, and measure it. Is it still 128? If not check your units and export settings.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Do the generic scales of objects influence the grid snapping at all, meaning does every object need to be 512/512/512 for example or can it be some totally random scale?

The box example worked by the way.
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Can be any size you want but if you want it to snap to each other easily it needs to be 32 64 128 256 512 etc yes, or any combination such as 192.

For non modular it obviously doesn't matter, like a tree.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Can a modular wall for instance be 256/random scale/random scale? And do you mean with "any combination like 192" 256/192/100 ????
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes you can have any scale you want. If you got X 256 Y something Z something then it would snap modularity on X but not on Y Z. For some meshes this is fine. It all depends on what you are doing.

Combination = 32+64=96. It doesn't has to be 64 128 256 etc only. 108 for example is fine also. As it is 64+32+8+4 which is still on the grid, although you'd have to use a grid of 4 then in Unreal. The smaller the grid, the slower it is for you to create a level workflow wise.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you this helped a lot.