Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Three9's WIP thread

Starting up several projects; figured instead of posting a thread for each one I could just dump progress here for all of it.

We will start with a Link redesign :D I'm aiming to take reference from a lot of sources
linkref.png
linkconcept.png
I have a couple other concepts and doodles for this, but haven't taken pics of them yet

There is more than this I'm using for reference, but these were ones I put together in a mood sheet. I want to revamp Link for current day quality, yet still keep true to his form and look. Going for a Link in his 20's; maybe after one of his big adventures, traveling the world ready for the next big thing.

It's still heavily WIP; gotta work out the details and figure out what polycount I really want to go for. Currently he is 2175 tris

Link_01.png
Link_02.png
Link_01w.png
Link_02w.png

Replies

• DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    mhmm i have a zelda sleeve ;) i love me zelda lol ( yes that is link )

good job looks nice so far
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Push the shapes on the shoulder pad!

I like the idea. Tough tunic to fill with this one. Good luck and do it justice!
  • [SF]Three9
    Link_03.png

Thanks Turista :)

Don't worry Jeff; I'll get there ;)

3345 tris
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Love me some Link fan art! He's a little stubby perhaps? I think he could be proportioned a little more "heroically," but that's just me. Looking forward to your progress!
  • [SF]Three9
    I'll see what I can do :).

Link isn't usually depicted as a beefy typical hero; he's more of a normal guy with some skills and a brave courageous heart, and I'd like to stick to that theme. He might be a bit stubby though, I'll work on it and check it later :). Working on a separate project after this post to give my eyes a rest on this one I think; maybe do something smaller like a weapon or go back to work on my other character

Link_04.png
    Link_05.png
    Link_05w.png

4681 tris

His arms seem super overloaded, and the legs seem a bit bland...I gotta figure something out for that; Does it bother anyone or is it just me? I feel like the areas of calm would really bring balance to him; I just don't want the arms to look overblown with detail and the rest of him to seem "unfinished"
  • [SF]Three9
    Considering adding even more armor, but add those and things like the shoulder piece and ankle armor to a separate uv and have two version; basically a regular link and an armored version
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Make it all level-able. Be cool to do a few versions of this (ice, fire, demonic, etc).
  • [SF]Three9
    Link_06.png
    Link_07.png
    Armored and based comparison; still working the details and creating the armor though
  • liammcm7
    I really like the silhouette of the figure! I would suggest extending the armor on the gauntlet of the sword arm. Also, link is left handed so I would think the shoulder plate would be on the shield arm to form more of a barricade and allow for his sword arm to have more range of motion. That's just being nit-picky though :P Keep up the good work!
  • [SF]Three9
    Well, I'm right handed myself, and I very much relate to Link and he's been a huge childhood hero to me. I realize he's left-handed, but I'm pulling a Twilight Princess and making him right handed :P, therefore the shoulder armor is on the correct arm :D

***NOTE***
    The hair on the model is actually from a ripped model download, and I simply have it here for reference; I do not plan to use this hair, and will probably making it similar to either Skyward Sword's version, or like the user Disting's Link he created a couple years ago if you remember it

Link_08.png
    Link_09.png

Going to finish the model and start UV'ing tonight...Texture work to begin tomorrow
  • [SF]Three9
    Link_10.png
    Link_11.png

Wooo, successfully intermixed the Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess design in regards to hair

....God those eyes are dead and creepy :\...needs a texture so bad

I think I've decided he will (when FULLY complete), have a total of 6 textures to him

1) Head+Hair and Eyes...TBH I hate the idea of separating the head, seeing as how I prefer my models to be 1-to-1 ratio of detail, but I'll compensate for making that texture a lot smaller...going to aim for 256x256 or possibly even a 128x128 for the head if I can

2) Main body; this will include everything except #1, and the extra armor pieces

3) Upgrade armor; this will be all the extra bells and whistles as far as armor and detail go

4) Razer sword/dagger when I model it and finish it

5) Master Sword when I model and finish it

6) Hylian Shield when I model and finish it

The last 3 will probably take a while to get to, ontop of having other personal projects I want to do, have an art test coming later this week, so I gotta BOOK IT on this guy, blaaah
  • [SF]Three9
    I promise larger updates are going to come in place of these small ones :|

I'm super excited and happy with the final result...this is looking exactly as intended, and I can't wait to unwrap this and begin texturing...this is going to be a blast
    Link_14.png
    Link_15.png
    Link_16.png

I need to finish capping off some belts, but he's sitting around 7242 tris...should be slightly higher when I finished
  • DiegoTeran
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
  • Charlie23
    Offline / Send Message
    Charlie23 polycounter lvl 10
    PAINT IT MORE! FINISH HIM!
  • [SF]Three9
    OK CHARLIE23!

Link_17.png
    Link_18.png

Starting to textureeeeeeeeeee :D:D:D:D

Was able to get everything seen here on one map, 1024x1024
  • Havoc89
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey bud, this is looking pretty cool. You've definitely gotten better at characters since the last time. :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Assuming we want an ideal proportional male, his legs definitely need to be a lot longer. A head and a half for the thigh and shin, at least.
  • [SF]Three9
    Always good hearing from you Havoc :)...I think i most certainly have gotten better :D glad someone who has known me as long as you sees it too... Def need to catch up, i got big news; ill pm you sometime soon

its been a while since ive done anything without it being 100% hand painted...i am digging the result I am getting, but spending so much time experimenting...ugh, i just want to get to the detailsssss
    Link_21.png

As for proportions; thanks il try that! I want to keep him a bit stylized, while still going for a bit of handed painted realism...im very satisfied with how he looks proportions-wise, but when i step back in ill be sure to measure it and change it...who knows, i might like it! :)
  • [SF]Three9
    http://p3d.in/2Ig4Z/shadeless

Figured I'd just toss this up at its current state
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    good progress. I will say that at its current state, I don't care for the micro details on the pants texture. You have all these bold brush strokes on the model and then suddenly it looks like you overlayed a photo on the pants. It's not bad to have some texture to show what the material is, but it just seems really small compared to what else you have at the moment.
  • [SF]Three9
    Thanks man :)...was going to make more progress before i posted an update here, but since its bumped ill post it anyway

Link_27.png
    Link_26.png

I agree about the texture; something I wanted to do specifically with this project is push myself in lighting and also to update my portfolio with new, way improved quality work. Something my portfolio suffers from is older/inaccurate quality work, and pretty much only hand painted work...while this will probably end up very much hand painted specifically for the style/zelda choice, i do want to apply a bit of grunge and grit youd find in twilight princess...i am doing a *lot* of experimenting with this model that I typically dont include in my workflow, such as AO bakes, gradient layers, and baked lighting...if youd like i can post a couple flats with corresponding renders to show how those affect the texture...i do very much appreciate that input, so please know I agree and that is something im working on to fix :)

And i havent forgot to look again at the leg length, just something i havent adjusted yet...these new renders should fix the hat critique that was brought up in WAYWO
  • Andy H
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    His tunic is probably my favorite part of this entire piece at the moment. Only thing that's sticking out to me is how his face is sort of flat (there's nothing really showing where his cheeks/cheek bones are defined, etc). Can't wait to see where you take this guy!
  • [SF]Three9
    Andy H, that's something I'm still working on and will be addressing ;)

It's been a LONG time since I've updated this thread apparently...ugh, looking at that old progress makes me sick

He is ABOUT done...there are a few things here and there I would love to fix, but I need to move on to other things and come back and fix those later with a fresh eye

Not going to waste a lot of time for beauty renders until I get him rigged and positioned. Sort of messing around with a spec map for him, but that is not featured in these renders

Link__01.png
    Link__02.png

P3D Link http://p3d.in/I0Ihr/shadeless (Ignore the tunic poking through the belt, I'll fix that tomorrow)

And you can't make Link, without of course making a Dark Link...
    Link__03.png

Current project plans for this

Rig it/Pose it (maybe animate?)
    Hylian Shield
    Master Sword
    Razer Sword (Which is now a dagger, and maybe?)
    Hero's Bow
    Quiver

*Possibly do the extra armor stuff I was messing around with? I may do some of them, but do not like all the pieces
    *Make a Zora and Goron tunic version, that is more than just a texture change

Would love feedback :)
  • [SF]Three9
    Debating if the extra armor idea is just too much?
    The sheath and quiver+straps are just placeholders currently
    Would love some feedback

Link__04.png
    Link__05.png
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looks Great! My only crit would be that the face is lacking in contrast. Its seems as though all of the values in the face are in the mid-tone range. I would add some brighter areas and darken the darker areas. Also the model overall could probably use bit more contrast. Love the a-symmetrical armor bits though. Keep going!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Looks Great! My only crit would be that the face is lacking in contrast. Its seems as though all of the values in the face are in the mid-tone range. I would add some brighter areas and darken the darker areas. Also the model overall could probably use bit more contrast. Love the a-symmetrical armor bits though. Keep going!

I have to agree with this. You have some nice shadowing on the jawline and neck but when you get to the center of the face it is really hard to make out any type of detail. Some highlight for the nose, chin, cheeks, and forehead may help pull out your values.

As for the armor, I say go for it. Throw it on a smaller texture sheet and think of it as a level up or upgrade you get through the game.
  • [SF]Three9
    The face critique definitely is turning out to be a unanimous point, and one I agree on most certainly. Maybe if I have some time after work today I'll see what I can do real quick :D

My biggest issue with the face, in adding that detail, is Link is very boy'ish and a bit feminine, and whenever I add more contrasting detail he seems to lose his "Link" qualities in his face. I realize I am intending to make him a bit older, but just haven't done anything yet I've been happy with....regardless I'll keep pushing it and see what I can do.

Thanks for the compliments guys...I am intending the extra armor to be an "update", and the current mesh is just a re-iteration of the previous armor I was designing...Still need to establish some form of armor on his thighs; it's too empty there, even for resting the eyes...Grabbed a ton of reference yesterday for archers, and going to compile it with all of my other stuff and see what I can come up with

Texturing the shield is up next on my list, then making the master sword...each of those, and the extra armor will have their own textures
  • [SF]Three9
    Link_Facecomp.png

boop

Trying to show facial details while keeping it as soft as possible
  • [SF]Three9
    Link_Facecomp2.png
    Link_Facecomp3.png

Some color issues to fix between the bottom of the jaw and the neck, and I'm probably going to make his chin pointier, but I think it's a massive improvement :)

The tweaks to his nose, eyes, and the new texture really make it feel a lot more like Link, I'm super excited
  • KennyTies
    I really like the new definition to the nose to make it more prominent. Great work!
  • [SF]Three9
    Thanks Kenny!
    I realized after posting I should probably pull his chin out more too; face looks funky; almost sunken in perspective
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I like the definition but the tonal range is still lacking I did a paintover to show you what I mean. You just need to push your lights and darks more.
    sSbfW8g.jpg
  • [SF]Three9
    Intensity as far as lights and shadows are concerned is definitely something I'm working on adjusting

I feel like the paintover is a bit extreme in some particular cases, but definitely noted and something I'll work on :) Thanks man, appreciate the paintover...I think the leather is the biggest area currently I need to adjust
  • [SF]Three9
    I realize the crest is too wide/large, but was running late and put this start texture together and render super fast
    Link_shield.png