Home General Discussion

Elysium

[Deleted User]
insane polycounter
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] insane polycounter
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    F3lPJ2w.jpg

Seems like it's going to be pretty neat.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Color me interested.

Matt Damon looks very Bruce Willisy.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    d1ver wrote: »
    Color me interested.

Matt Damon looks very Bruce Willisy.

I could frakkin' swear that's Chief Tyrol.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New project: hack Matt Damon's exoskeleton and set up web controls.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    elysium-neil-blomkamp.jpg

This picture looks a bit ridiculous. I mean, OCR A Extended printed in white on a rifle?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Yea dude. I've been lookin forward to this for some time. I couldn't get enough of District 9, and I'm interested to see what is done with the much larger budget.

Ohhhhhhh the anticipation!
  • HitmonInfinity
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I am intrigued. This looks pretty sweet so far.

I'm getting a bit of a ringworld vibe with the self contained living spaces thing too. That sort of theme plus the way Blomkamp likes dealing with societal issues could be pretty cool.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    GAHHHHHH this is going to be fantastic! I FINALLY found some insight on the story and such and it sounds incredible! I can't wait to see the trailer tomorrow!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Picture 2 is almost straight from the Citadel in Mass Effect.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So do we actually know what this movie is about, beyond what can be derived from the screenshots?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wasn't really a fan of District 9, it was just super super lazy allegory. Flip the number in 'District 6', replace black people with aliens, boom, almost finished. Flesh out rest of movie with some weird 'goo transforms protagonist into alien' plotline. Which I thought was really weak. I really liked the weapons designs etc. but can't recommend the whole film. The South Africa accents were also pretty funny haha.

I enjoy a bit of sci-fi though so I might maybe check this out, but the costume design doesn't really inspire that much confidence. Check out the guy in the fourth pic hah!

Wonder what Jodie Fosters role will be, or what the general plotline even is.
  • wester
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    CordellC wrote: »
    Picture 2 is almost straight from the Citadel in Mass Effect.

The image of the spacestation built inside a toroid structure is almost 40 years old now. The Citadel and Elysium are both drawing inspiration from the same source.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Finally trailer getting released today!
    I was fortunate enough to get to work on the movie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/video/elysium-trailer-200248321.html
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    z3phon wrote: »
    Finally trailer getting released today!
    I was fortunate enough to get to work on the movie.

congrats! your texture work is amazing!
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    The image of the spacestation built inside a toroid structure is almost 40 years old now. The Citadel and Elysium are both drawing inspiration from the same source.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Syd Mead is responsible for both. I know he worked on the movie.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks/sounds like a nice mixture of District 9 and Neuromancer.

If any of you kids don't know what Neuromancer is, get the damn book and read it before posting, okay? :)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Dude, so keen for this! I loved District 9 it was one of my favourite movies. :) I have faith that this movie is gonna be awesome.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    fightpunch wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure Syd Mead is responsible for both. I know he worked on the movie.

That would explain it. :)

Don't really care for the BWAAAAM trailer style. Hopefully some of the future ones make it look a bit more tasteful.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    elysium.jpg
    elysium2.jpg

A little blurry since they're just screencaps. Still awesome.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I'll be watching that!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Looks super promising! From what the trailer reveals, I can't help it but see the similarities with the base story line from Gunnm/Battle Angel (just replace "Elysium" with "Zalem") mixed up with some delicious Syd Mead inspired designs (he must have been involved with the project, right?)

4197841092_862d59c6a0_b.jpg
    8208021242_c7cdec92ff_c.jpg

Can't wait.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    looks beautiful! Wonder if they're using the same art director because some parts look a lot like district 9.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Woo!

Rooster, thats neil blomkamps influence, all his short films have the same aesthetic.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    of course Syd Mead worked on it http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0574927/

i wish i didnt watch the trailer though. it seemed to tell to much and from the looks of it i dont like it so far. too much action/blockbuster-ing and Michael-Bay-ish...

hopefully the movie is more subtle than what the trailer feels like.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to make a sweeping claim, but i feel it deep in my loins! Neil Blomkamp is going to be the next generation of Ridley Scott. I think Neil's ability to tell a good story, with compelling characters and most importantly create visual effects that AID the storytelling, and not depend on it...is incredible and very rare.

With today's sci fi films just being visual effects reels with bland 2 dimensional characters and awful one liners, who build their revenue off of A movie stars and a sexy love interest, he's breathing some fresh new air into the genre and not making it a topic of ridicule and humor. I think he makes sci fi that isnt something to be ashamed of enjoying. I'm pretty tired of these "awfully good" types of sci fi movies (so bad that it's good) and am ready for some honest science fiction with serious themes and undertones.

SO excited to see this movie!!!! BLAAAARHHHH!!
  • Kridian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kridian polycounter lvl 14
    wester wrote: »
    I'm going to make a sweeping claim, but i feel it deep in my loins! Neil Blomkamp is going to be the next generation of Ridley Scott.
    Think you nailed there. He really brings out that gritty sci-fi feel that Ridley has. Love it!
  • z3phon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Syd Mead was one of the main artists attached to the movie. It's almost like his style vs Blomkamps.

Elysium TRAILER 1 (2013) - Matt Damon Movie HD - YouTube

z3phon that's awesome! Congrats. How many FXstudios do you think were involved or was it all Image Engine?

Thanks! To my knowledge their four studios involved.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo I know not to invite Andreas to go see it.

Jesus man, do you ever self evaluate and realize you just aren't enjoying things because you're looking for reasons not to? Why even contribute that opinion to this conversation. You actually bummed me out.

Go make your perfect sci-fi movie and I'm sure we'll find someone saying you were "Super Super Lazy" about something. :P

Relax man, its just an opinion. I wish everything I invest time in will be good, sometimes though thats not how the cookie crumbles. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of recent world history will know that the movie is just very lazy allegory. That can't be denied; I do like the designs and sets and stuff but he badly needs to work in his storytelling skills, thats all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    What some people see as lazy is deadly intentional to others.

I have a good south african friend who loved the film, especially because of the light that it did bring to the problems in the cities over there. It was very accurate in how south african life it (cant think of another film that is).

Interesting fact, the slums they filmed district 9 in were full of real people just days before hand and they took the opportunity to use them for authenticity.(note the film had nothing to do with the cause of the people evacuation)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Andreas wrote: »
    Relax man, its just an opinion. I wish everything I invest time in will be good, sometimes though thats not how the cookie crumbles. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of recent world history will know that the movie is just very lazy allegory. That can't be denied; I do like the designs and sets and stuff but he badly needs to work in his storytelling skills, thats all.

originality in most cases is overrated random pile of shit scrapped together from stolen ideas. in reality, nothing can be completely original unless the story writer is from another planet/galaxy etc.

i loved district 9, because it was executed very well.

i will love this one too if it is executed well.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's an allegory illustrating issues that would never be addressed or easily digested by popular culture which is what allegory is for. If anything he motivated people to learn the history of Apartheid and District 6 that didn't know about it at all. I don't see how it's lazy.

I think you're overestimating the effect District 9 had on public awareness or outrage about Apartheid. Most opinions I came across basically boiled down to 'cool guns, aliens, violence'; not 'fuck Apartheid!'. Some people had some vague notion that it had something to do with real events in South Africa, but not many. IRL, anyway.
    I know plenty of S.Africans, Korea is awash with them, and they all think District 9 is a little pathetic really. It just seems odd; take a real life human rights travesty, and tack aliens on. ???

But anyway; I just checked out the Elysium trailer and I haven't been as excited for the visuals of a movie in a while. Looked pretty sweet, and not just the CG but the cinematography in general. I take it the suit get's him past checkpoints or something? Like a hacker suit? That seems cool. Story is a bit generic based on what we are given in the trailer but hey; I'm a Red Faction fan and this seems like another Red Faction fight the power movie so feck it; keen to see it now after seeing the trailer.

Not sure class divides of such extremes are so common in sci-fi movies though. Seems cartoony. What are the 'upper class' really getting out of screwing the rest? I hope that's addressed in the movie.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Awww yiiis son! I've been dieing to see another awesome movie like this, a la D9 or JD! Can't wait!

Although I'm curious if the rumors are true (that the script got facelift in the past year of production so make it more resonate to with current day issues), wonder how that will play out, if at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure class divides of such extremes are so common in sci-fi movies though. Seems cartoony. What are the 'upper class' really getting out of screwing the rest? I hope that's addressed in the movie.

Andreas, that sort of class divide already exists today between first and 3rd world countries. It doesn't seem far fetched to see it continue. If a small group has all the power and uses all the resources, that sort of divide will occur, right?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

haha. Have you heard of a tiny gathering of people called the Occupy Wallstreet movement? The 1% vs. the 99%? There is already a gap between the upper and middle class in the united states (not to mention other countries i just say the states because i live here). It's been steadily widening since the 80's why wouldn't it be a safe assumption to assume it would continue to widen?

Also sci fi movies with undertones or social themes are interpretations of how the director chooses to portray this certain series of events. It's by no means something that you should refer to current times and be like "nope there's no way that A would evolve to look like his B"

I've also been to Mexico city where you have one street full of homes made out of boxes, and then one block over luxurious homes with bmw's and mercedes.

Honestly man just give yourself in, open your mind and allow yourself to enjoy something.
  • axl99
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axl99 polycounter lvl 8
    Jeebus. I take back all my reservations about the movie visuals on the trailer alone. The environment concepts alone have me SOLD.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sure a divide that massive does exist in parts of the world. You don't even have to go to Mexico City to see it, it exists in the States too. It just seems a tiny bit cartoony in this instance, what with the rich literally lording it over the poor on some space ship and the rest in slums. Its a very cool space ship, mind you...

I'm sure I will enjoy it. Just making an observation. :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Doesn't seem too cartoony to me given how the poor/rich border can already be so sharp.

Sao Paulo:

1407012470_4e1a2a6649_o.jpg

Really looking forward to the movie, love the visuals already.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I think that's what I like most about this movie so far: how it extrapolates the divide between rich and poor and builds the story on that, sounds fantastic really. You only have to follow the news a bit these days to realize how relevant that just is.