Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Stargate scene

Y_M
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Y_M polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, this is something I've been working on the last few weeks.

An old cliffside entrance to an underground temple of sorts
Stone_Temple-2.png

I'm really enjoying vertex blending, having only really used Source before vertex blending is entirely new and fascinating. Closer shot of my mossy wall blends:
Stone_Wall-3.png

The gate itself:
Gate_UDK_3.png

And a close up of the gate front and back with the chevrons lit:
Gate_UDK_2.png
With some diabolically bad grass below it.

That's something I'm struggling with quite a lot, everything I try for the grass just seems to look terrible.

I want it to look a lot like these photos here and here where the grass is very orange and mossy. It doesn't feel right to put in grass cards which is leaving me floundering with the texture.

Any advice RE getting good looking mossy grass would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Dude that stargate looks sweet!

Maybe you should post some screenshots of the grass u got so we can crit it :)
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Right, it's visible in the previous shots just looks a bit muddy, here it is in a shot of its own where you can clearly see the grass and mud clearly:
    grass.JPG
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    can we see some flats?
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Ok, first of, you need grass, like real plane prjocted grass, and then I think your ground textures need some more photo refs in them.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Mud and grass:
    grass-mud.png

Earlier on I was experimenting with grass more like this:
    alt-grass.JPG
    alt-grass-flat.png
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    I love stargate and always wanted to have a crack at something like this. It's shaping up really cool so I will be following closely :D
  • Borgleader
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Ohhh Stargate! :) Looking good so far. Keep it up!
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I swapped back to the older grass and played a little bit with grass cards, I think I'm getting towards something I like.
    Also got around to some cliffs too:

Gate_UDK_4.png
    cliff_01.png

Something is bugging me about these grass cards though, I'm using the foliage tool which is pretty neat but I'm getting small clusters of cards which have a dark line in the lightmap. I could increase the scale, but it's already 16 per card and more seems excessive (The line is actually still visible at 32 too).

You can see it a little in the second picture but it's more visible from below the landscape here:

grass-below.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can avoid this?
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    I'm loving the look of this scene so far. Really like your textures and art style. I think it works well as usually I'd expect realistic texturing on a scene such as stargate. Can't help you with your issue but just thought i'd give a thumbs up to your scene :)
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    Love the style for crying out loud!

I think the scale of your stone work is a little bit off and too uniform to me. Both the bricks and cliffs looks like they've been scaled up. The size of the individual bricks (while honking big) isn't really the issue. The size of the details like the grout and cracks is what throwing it off.

For example, looking at the screenshot with the pillars and brick wall you can clearly see the scale of the cracks from the pillar and wall don't match. Cliffs is the same thing. The size of them isn't the issue, but the size of the details are.

Brick layout definitely could use a randomize pass over it.

As for the lightmap foliage issue, I'm pretty sure I've seen this come up before. Search around polycount or google, I think you'll find a solution for it.

Keep it up though! I'd love to see this finished.

Indeed.
  • Eliteabix
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Loving the rock/cliffs, looking really good so far, dont have much critque as of yet seeing as its still in early staged, will give this a watch b^.^d
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Loving this so far, You should add some foliage or moss to the seam where the rock meets the grass so it's not such a abrupt transition.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the encouraging comments guys :)
    EvanL wrote: »
    Love the style for crying out loud!
    This sentence scares me slightly; are you adding emphasis to loving the style or the stone scale comments?

As for the grass lighting, it was only chance that I found out I should be using transmission to get the backfaces lit and I'm not actually certain that's the correct method. All I'm finding on the topic is that the foliage tool used to be broken but has been fixed recently.
  • Ravanna
    Y_M wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouraging comments guys :)

This sentence scares me slightly; are you adding emphasis to loving the style or the stone scale comments?

Jack O'Neil used to say "for crying out loud" quite a bit in the show, which btw is one of my all time fave scifis.
    Bring back Universe! >:|

I'm not keen on the style myself, only because stargate was brilliant IP for a gritty realistic fps, and I hate the iphone game they're releasing.

Anyway, its good work nevertheless.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Been adding some alien vines to this thing. Got the main vines down and the texture is pretty close to what I want now so smaller wigglier vines next :)
    Vines_03.JPG
    Vines_02.JPG
  • SolCommand
    I just have to pop in and say -> WOW !!

I love it, top to bottom. I can already imagine the SG team walking around the temple and trying to solve its mysteries. Great work mate and thank you for reminding me of Stargate, it was such a good show.
  • Y_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Got the DHD mostly done now too. The texture isn't quite how I want it but is getting there.

DHD_01.png
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I am a HUGE stargate fan (I have signed posters and stuff), and this gives me nerdboner for both the art and the stargate. So good.
  • spire8989
    Another huge Stargate fan here. Is this for a game or is it just an environment project?
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Im too Stargate fan and cannot wait to see this finished so far so good