Home Quixel Megascans

problems loading FBX file into nDo2? help!

I'm trying to load in an fbx for a pretty simple chainsaw model, and when I import my fbx, it comes in looking like this :(

I'm new to nDo2, what am I doing wrong? My model is pretty straightforward, and was created in 3ds Max.

Thanks for the help!

note: I'm also new to polycount, so please let me know if I need to post this in another thread! thx!

Replies

• Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    I had a similar problem with nDo mine was actually shaped like it was meant to though, the model needs to be tri's for some reason and other than that I'm not sure why Ndo2 goes crazy like that, I've been using Ddo's previewer the past few days and it's much better you can get the demo on Quixel's site.
  • Joopsky
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopsky polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know what software you using, but in maya you can fix it by going into your FBX export setting and switching on Smoothing groups and Tangents and Binormals, and switching of everything including animation if don't have any key frames, should do the trick, at least it does for me

PS. Axis - and it doesn't have to be triangulated
  • RockyRack
    "FBX export setting and switching on Smoothing groups and Tangents and Binormals"

This works with sMax 2014, and tanks ;)... I'm now an artist, lolz
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I am wasting so much time with this.

Max 2012 fbx 2013.3

FBX is not working correctly.
    1. I use hard edges not smoothing groups (alah like Maya), and the viewer is giving triangle errors at intersections.
    2. Model disappears once the screen tries to refresh after editing a normal level.
    3. Importing parts of the model so I can zoom in closer does not work correctly. It either turns full bright/white, or it looses its uv layout.
    4. I also attempted a obj to fbx conversion with the Autodesk freebie.. No difference!

For the love of all that is holy, can we please have an obj import?
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    oXYnary,

Try adding a Turn_To_Mesh or Unwrap_UVW modifier to the top of the stack in Max before export. In addition to turning on Smoothing Groups and Tangents and Binormals. I've found those options only activate when those modifiers are in the stack.

FBXBinormals.png
  • dirtyhairy
    Offline / Send Message
    dirtyhairy polycounter lvl 12
    Ah dude had this problem today! Gonna have to try these fixes tomorrow. Its so damn frustrating getting to that stage (the fun part) and not be able to preview the mesh.
    Thanks for the info guys!
  • dirtyhairy
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah dude had this problem today! Gonna have to try these fixes tomorrow. Its so damn frustrating getting to that stage (the fun part) and not be able to preview the mesh.
    Thanks for the info guys!
  • dirtyhairy
    Offline / Send Message
    Twice for emphasis (woops ;)
  • bacteria
    I had a same problem today with fbx exported from max, reset xform in max before exporting fix it
  • Paul Siberdt
    I had a same problem with custom mesh visualisation in nDO2. Thanx, god, I've found this thread :)
  • Paul Siberdt
    Thanx for this thread. My problem is solved with the help of Joopsky
  • ar2r
    this also didn't work for me I use modo and any options give solution fbx in ndo is overburned
  • Psyber
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyber polycounter lvl 8
    Don't understand why I am getting this error with my custom mesh file.

I exported from 3DS Max 2014 with Tangents and Binormals, Triangulated, and Smoothing Groups checked on. FBX Type is binary and version is 2014.
    I tried using 2013 version and 2010 version but those didn't work either.
    Tried adding Unwrap UVW and Turn to Mesh to my stack... Still no luck.
    Even tried opening up the file in Maya and re-exporting from there... No dice. (UVs were correct in Maya btw)

PreviewError.jpg
  • Slay0r
    I fixed the triangulate problem but my preview is too bright i cant see any details and it has no normalmap applied anyway(nothing to preview).
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    Utility polycounter lvl 7
    I'm having a similar problem, too. I can't seem to get the model to import properly no matter what the settings are:

mac10nD02HALP.png

I'm seriously lost, any help would be awesome. Importing back into Max works absolutely fine. Here, it looks like my UVs are getting chewed up. :(
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    Ended up using FBX2012, and it worked fine. However, I downloaded 3DO and it only accepts OBJs... which come out the same way. Hngngghhhh

thxObj.png
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    What program are you modeling in? Try turning off backface cull.
  • Utility
    Offline / Send Message
    Modelling in 3DSMax 2014, exporting to OBJ, importing to 3DO (Quixel Suite version). If I can't find a solution soon, I'm just going to use the non-Suite version of nDO2 and dDO to work in instead, since I managed to get my model to look fine in non-suite nDO2 with an FBX out of Max.
  • mutantkedi
    I couldn't solve previewer problem. It gives shading error when I import custom mesh into NDO2 previewer
  • Polycare609
    Here is the solution, I'm using Maya 2016 to exports file with FBX format, The problem been solved when I changed Maya 2016 version to 2015 to exports FBX file format with Smoothing groups and Tangents and Binormals. This is it!
  • bounchfx
    ran into this thread a bit late. was fighting constantly with nDo/3DO and importing an fbx. Like, I thought it was a scale issue, since changing the scale and then reimporting worked for some of my meshes, but not the latest one. I randomly tried OBJ instead and had no issues at all. I will probably just stick with that from now on - will try your solutoin too Polycare609 as it's very likely a compatibility issue. Thanks!