Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Crashsite - Fozwroth

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
Hey! so I decided to give this a try after all ^^ going to be a spacecruiser crashing towards the ground and a escape pod in the foreground. going for a tattoine-ish look but with some plantlife. started to block it out. just terrain, pod and a cube for the huge-ass spacecraft. need to nail down some design for the pod and ship soon but going to keep blocking and planning for now.

some ref I collected:

EscapePodCrashRefSheet.jpg

The Blockout:

1stBlockoutCrashScene.jpg

Replies

• g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Looks interesting. Looking forward what you will do with this Simon!
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    Love it! Will be watching this one
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    small progress, wipped up a rockmesh that I tossed around. just plain color with maps applied no real texture yet ^^

Escape_CrashSite_WIP_01.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some texture progress :) need to get some detail maps in so it looks good up close

Escape_CrashSite_WIP_02.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started goofing around with some kind of pod design, tried giving it small glider wings but I dunno might be mistaken for a fighter craft, thoughts?

Escape_Pod_WIP_01.png

Escape_CrashSite_WIP_03.png
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some more progress :) would love some feedback!

TheEscape_Wip4.png
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    oha. all alone. a big project. but your progress goes fast. will it be more stylized? and will you use udk, or a dice engine?
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this is in a very early stage, but I would love to see some broken off plates or gear from the pod in the final result. Maybe some of it lodged into the surrounding environment. I am not very sure about how you chose to design the pod. It seems to be a little small, but it is a one man carrier I presume? I would just love to see it have more length horizontally. Maybe larger wings. But hey, I am no expert. x) As you have the scene as of now, I really like it. I am also surprised at the speed that you are working at being a one man team.. Keep it up. :)
  • Burnzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your progress is awesome man. I am loving this. I think there are some things you can add to take this a step further. If the pod crashed from space there would be some sorta impact in the terrain, if not that you could always suggest damage to the surrouding environment Ex: Broken wing stuck in rock form suggesting it crashed into rocks before hitting the ground or something along those line. Idk if you know particle effects but some dust particles would be sweet around the crash and would suggest as an event that just occured.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! :D yeah the pod will be a little banged, clipped into the rockwall at the ledge and glided to its current position, will sculpt a big pile of dirt and debris in front of the pod. will also work more with terrain, do a world machine pass as well. the design is not final at all :D I´m torn between a thinner and longer pod( stasispod style) or the more retro round one, will have to think of something by this weekend!

yeah its for 1-3 passengers or something like that, could probably be a little bigger, shoved it pretty deep into the terrain too xD it is actually longer. and yes, lovley scrap metal and debris will be scattered here and there :)

never worked with particle effects I will try to learn to use it with this project, will probably use masked out stillimages for the sky effects ( since I´m not a vfx artist at all)
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think a thinner, more drop-pod like design would be better. I also think that the ship mesh itself needs to be super damaged from the fall. But, I love this progress!
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! yeah I think I´m going for a more pod-like design, it´s too much shuttle feeling on it now ^^
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress I guess. tried some new stuff with the pod next thing is to do a world machine pass.

TheEscape_Wip5.png