Home General Discussion

Gamer's Paradise Gaming Desk.

Replies

• Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    If only it had a keyboard arm/tray, then it would be almost useful. I plug my things in about once a year and that's it, barely ever have to go back to pull cables in and out for any reason.
    Having a headphone/mic jack on the desk is no more better than having front audio ports. Maybe worse, more susceptible to spillage accidents. I've spilt water on my desk a couple of times before in my life, wouldn't wanna do it on this desk!

What I think woulda been better would be if theres a compartment/lid/drawer/something tucked inside the desk, for the plugs AND cables to go - or some kinda hovering box thing at the back to store all the plugs (for extra large plugs).
    Personally don't like the upside down sockets, I think they might fall off or at least it'll be easier to kick them off by accident. And it'll still be a wirey mess everywhere.

Ideally the cable storage should be big enough to fit all the cables and tuck them in if/when it comes to moving the desk, so you can leave the cables inside it neatly and rebuild your workstation with less effort. But how often do people move their desks? Not enough to warrant buying this for sure :p

Actually, on second thought...

The PC should be built INTO the desk, so you won't have that floating pc and all the cables connecting to it. Removable/upgradeable components inside the desk of course, just like a normal PC.
    Plus an entrance for the keyboard usb via the keyboard arm under the desk. And another compartment/tray on a side of this desk to store things like wacoms/ipads/laptops.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The speaker headset switch is awesome, and I love the more accessible usb ports, but that is not worth an extra $200 by itself.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Personally, the most useful desks that I've experienced are wrap arounds (or 2 desks one vert one horiz) and sliding panels... and Anything that promotes easy access notes / reference but not in the way of working. Course this would be something for a home desktop and I guess not studio estate worthy.
  • Gusti
    To me personally, this looks about as sensable and usefull as that idiotic Thermatake mouse and keyboard with the fan stuck on the front of it "for gamers ultimate grip!"

Get a regular cheap IKEA desk, some zip-ties, some double-sided tape, powered USB hub of your own styling choice hello-kitty-usb-hub.png(class yo!)..

Now use double-tape to fasten a power cord extender with 4-8 sockets on the underside of the desk, plug stuff in, zip-tie cords to clean stuff up and you will probably be closing in on 1/4th of the price of some silly "designer" shit like this desk..
    Plus when you need more space, need to move house or generally want to swap out desks, you can do so without ending up with an old desk that serves no function but to be laughed at by your friends and family.

And if you are feeling particularly fancy.. double tape this to the underside of your desk too for 15 bucks (can probably be had MUCH cheaper if you shop around)
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C"]http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Headset-Switching-Manhattan-172851/dp/B000K8PH8C[/ame]

ps.. who gives a crap if the surface of the desk works for just about any mouse.. what self respecting gamer does NOT have a mouse pad...
    Also, hanging a PC tower to a hollow desk made out of metal and vinyl with steel wires will make the desk act like a giant amplifier for any and all vibrations originating from the PC.. Which is any fan and any hard-drive, of which most gaming PC´s have many of, and not always in pristine condition.

Plus shiny desks get sticky when hot and you sweat on them, and icky and ice cold when it gets cold outside..

Quite honestly, I´d say this desk idea is about the worst idea for a functional gaming or workstation desk I have seen yet, bar the few that are made of glass.
    Which on its own is just the worst material in existence for a computer desk of any sort.

Wood desks ftw.. even cheap wood beats all high end materials for desk surfaces.
  • AlexLeighton
    I personally have a massive old wooden desk from the 70s, and with the help of some double sided tape and a drill I've created my own cable routing and integrated usb hub/power bar system. I didn't actually pay for the desk but I'm sure a similar one could be found at a yard sale for a song. My desk also has drawers, which are really useful for controllers and remotes and pens and such.

I guess this desk must appeal to some people, but I don't see it.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    My thoughts? Buy a simple $100 desk and spend the remaining $450 on an Aeron Miller chair or something similar. If you -really- want the USB ports get a cheap USB hub with a cable, that's maybe $25 together.
  • nick2730
    Yea giant waste of money in my opinion
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i spent about 1/3 of the price on a solid wood desk from ikea (with metal legs, and some wiring trays to keep cables out of the way... got a crawling baby to think about!) my monitor has a usb hub built in, my keyboard does too, hell even my cintiq does.

the desk also has a hole in it for cables to be passed through.

and my mouse mat cost £2.99 from ASDA, i've had it 2 years, and it's fucking amazing lol.

this is something i wouldn't considder buying even with a gun at my head. as Snader says, invest the money in a good chair instead.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    oooh nice. that'll grab all the attention at starbucks. my shiny awesome macbook with the hello kitty usb hub! ..no wait I'm joking, am I?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I still want that headset speaker switch.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Its missing a bin for the tissues.
  • Snader
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Is that plexi-glass container for the PC part of the desk? What if it doesn't fit my case? And who in their right mind would block PC ventilation with plexi-glass? Moronic.
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    So, um... It has integral wiring and some useful plug jacks and ports?

Because the layout sucks. It's basically Ikea furniture with some wiring built in to cut down on cable mess.

I have a straight front / rectangular desk at home for my workstation and it's a constant frustration. At work, I have a great right angle desk with the room to lay out several monitors in a nice wraparound, wacom and keyboard room, and enough leftover real estate to put the rest of my stuff. I'd rather pay for that than the wiring gimmick.

Tell you what - sell the electrical modules that are built in as a separate kit I can retrofit to an existing desk, sell them for less than the cost of buying similar off the shelf parts piecemeal online, and THEN you have something I'm keenly interested in.
  • nyx702
    IMO there is not enough room for multiple monitors. Most gamers have multiple monitors. There should be an adjustable monitor riser. That would be pro.

And a cup holder. I don't understand why more desks don't have integrated cup holders. My cats knock over my cup on a weakly basis.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sounds like your desk needs a cat holder...
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like a pretty plain small desk with some inputs modded in.