Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 4

Replies

• kevino025
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevino025 polycounter lvl 10
    For some reason the map decided to not save for me so I had to redo the blockout. T_T

This is what I have so far, sadly I haven't being able to work as much on it as Id like to. I still need to tweak the material for the floor, I'm not getting the spec I want out of it on UDK. And I need to to adjust the color of the trim to match.

BW6xIKV.png

Q0vNfz2.jpg

bafatbP.jpg

Cheers!
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    Carter wrote: »
    Progress is going really slow - I start a mesh sculpt and bake it out then realise it dosen't match the style I want to go for and throw it out : / Seems to have got a grip on it now here is my progress

noob4wip3.jpg
    Wow, this is awesome! :thumbup:
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    @Carter: Beautiful work here! My only crit would be that the scratches on the smaller tiles on that left wall look a little excessive and busy.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    rockguy wrote: »
    Feedback welcomed !

Hi guys Im going at a lower speed for the moment , but I wanted to share the pillar I was working on, the textures are hand painted because I really need to practice it, the mesh modeled in 3d max and the high poly in zbrush, I gonna try to upload the scene after I fix the floor and wall texture.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT : There was a typo in the image, fixed

highres_screenshot_00009_by_rojo3d-d5u2q4z.jpg

I don't like the way the vines intersect neatly at rightangles periodically up the beam. Feels like they shouldn't intersect, or if they do, in a much more organic way. Otherwise this is great :D
  • JeremiahJensen
    Did my first environment textures today ! Took forever to work out how to get pom to work untill i read that the normal and displ map have to have the same name

update_zpsdba80384.jpg
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    hO7uDL6.png

Sculpting stuff hanging above the circular door. Takes time...

Btw it's supposed to be noob challenge... quality of the work says otherwise :D

JeremiahJensen - you got a really strong normal map. Maybe dial it down a bit ? It also looks a bit soft. Not rock like.
  • JeremiahJensen
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    hO7uDL6.png

Sculpting stuff hanging above the circular door. Takes time...

Btw it's supposed to be noob challenge... quality of the work says otherwise :D

JeremiahJensen - you got a really strong normal map. Maybe dial it down a bit ? It also looks a bit soft. Not rock like.

thanks man, I think i got a bit excited with the POM haha, but ill tone them down abit and try make the surface abit harder
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Finally! I decided to enter the challenge!

Here's my first work in progress, just the AO, a few color tweaks, and the Normal map baked, I'm working on the modular set of the floor.

nc_wip_01.jpg

Keep it up people!! There's some nice stuff going on in this thread. :)

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that I'm keeping it very low poly, 180 triangles per piece (1x corner, 2x squares).
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    VictorSantos - I dont know if i see it right, but maybe you have hard edges wich is totaly killing your normal map.
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12
    sybrix wrote: »
    @Carter: Beautiful work here! My only crit would be that the scratches on the smaller tiles on that left wall look a little excessive and busy.

Totally agree going to tone down the cracks when I get home
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura wrote: »
    VictorSantos - I dont know if i see it right, but maybe you have hard edges wich is totaly killing your normal map.

You're right! I'm working on it.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Feedback welcomed !

Hi guys Im going at a lower speed for the moment , but I wanted to share the pillar I was working on, the textures are hand painted because I really need to practice it, the mesh modeled in 3d max and the high poly in zbrush, I gonna try to upload the scene after I fix the floor and wall texture.

Thanks for your time.

EDIT : There was a typo in the image, fixed

highres_screenshot_00009_by_rojo3d-d5u2q4z.jpg

Ok yeah WAIT A MIN
    12024?
    HUGE TEXTURES FTW
    But er typo?
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    After taking stuff from UDK and 3dsMax back and forward I have learned a couple of things! Apparent for most of you guys, doing modular pieces with multiples of 16, exporting 1:1 in inches and making the environment more modular than ever. It has made me scratch my head more than a couple of times. My first modular environment and I am loving it. My bigest challenge for now, its making modular pieces that fix to the concept, and the sizes using a 96 units as a human standing...

Also, I have barely done nothing... lol, so much trial and error. Doing a lot of hours at work too ;(
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back tkfxity and Y_M I will fix the vines after I finished more asstets
    also thanks Moonshank I will see what i can do to fix the uv space.

Also Robeomega, whoops my mistake :P sorry about that.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Thanks for the feed back tkfxity and Y_M I will fix the vines after I finished more asstets
    also thanks Moonshank I will see what i can do to fix the uv space.

Also Robeomega, whoops my mistake :P sorry about that.

I don't know if this was said, I like the vines a lot, but your texture usage could be halved if you used a tileable for the vines made a tilable for the pillar, you could even re-use it on other parts of the the scene and then just use unique normals+spec in the same map for some variation. Also a more natural vine distribution would be cool.

If you're using max use use the generate mapping coordinates for renderable splines. And in Maya you can convert paint FX to polys and get the same result, then would could use a 128-256-512 for the vines, whatever you want.
  • rockguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Thanks, mmmm didn't thought about it, I guess I was more focused on the pillar , to be honest the vines only took me around 20 min to model and texture , yeah I should have examined better the possibility of tileable placement, good thing is still work in progress, at least people are reacting well to the model.

Thanks for the feedback I will attend people criticisms as soon I'm done with the current assets.
  • interrogator_chaplain
    I need some help with my workflow and now I know this sounds badly noob, but I need a hand with workflow on making a tileable texture.

I'm wracking my brain with how to go about doing it, could somebody post their workflow for tileable textures? Because I'm completely stumped about how to go through it.

Help me please?!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    AlexCatMasterSupreme : Thanks, mmmm didn't thought about it, I guess I was more focused on the pillar , to be honest the vines only took me around 20 min to model and texture , yeah I should have examined better the possibility of tileable placement, good thing is still work in progress, at least people are reacting well to the model.

Thanks for the feedback I will attend people criticisms as soon I'm done with the current assets.

Also, if you are worried about it looking tiled, you can use vertex paint to add variation in the colors of the texture, dark, lighter, saturated ect, using the material.

I need some help with my workflow and now I know this sounds badly noob, but I need a hand with workflow on making a tileable texture.

I'm wracking my brain with how to go about doing it, could somebody post their workflow for tileable textures? Because I'm completely stumped about how to go through it.

Help me please?!

If you want to bake a tileable texture from models, you might want to check the wiki here: http://wiki.polycount.com/TilingRockWallBeyer
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I have a question, aimed mostly at Carter and VictorSantos -

I want to model geo into my modular floor pieces, like tiles being physically pushed in, sticking up, etc. similar to what you guys have done. How did you guys go about that? Did you model and retopo modular pieces, or just made a tileable texture, baked that to a flat plane, and then modeled on top of the texture? Or did you use a height map or something? If you have time and wouldn't mind, could you show us your separate pieces with their textures? I would love you forever. :D
  • Martizz1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martizz1e polycounter lvl 9
    Finally had some time, heres my blockout, tried to keep it as modular as possible.

Ceiling and side wall ommited for your viewing pleasure.

also, does my sizing look like it will work? Main section I am concered with is the center statue piece, which I haven't added a statue to yet

blockout1_zpsbdaad1c1.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12

I want to model geo into my modular floor pieces, like tiles being physically pushed in, sticking up, etc. similar to what you guys have done. How did you guys go about that? Did you model and retopo modular pieces, or just made a tileable texture, baked that to a flat plane, and then modeled on top of the texture? Or did you use a height map or something? If you have time and wouldn't mind, could you show us your separate pieces with their textures? I would love you forever. :D

I typically bake it to a flat plane and model on top of the texture.
  • Arctic Furnace
    After taking stuff from UDK and 3dsMax back and forward I have learned a couple of things! Apparent for most of you guys, doing modular pieces with multiples of 16, exporting 1:1 in inches and making the environment more modular than ever. It has made me scratch my head more than a couple of times. My first modular environment and I am loving it. My bigest challenge for now, its making modular pieces that fix to the concept, and the sizes using a 96 units as a human standing...

Also, I have barely done nothing... lol, so much trial and error. Doing a lot of hours at work too ;(

This is my first proper attempt at using UDK myself, and I was a bit confused by the snapping being like it is. I have modelled in cm like I do with everything and made a 200cm tile for around the pool edge. I would never have thought of it not being metric in scale...
  • Carter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carter polycounter lvl 12

Sure, I just do the usual zbrush workflow individual subtools for each and sculpt as normal then once complete drop the subdivisions low enough without losing the outside shape, so I know the mesh is going to tile dynamesh all the subtools together and run the decimation script on it its pretty messy but its also much much quicker than retopologising it by hand the UV's are simply planar mapped front and the sides and then relaxed - hope that helps
  • Tomm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Help me please?!

Depends on what you prefer, if you prefer doing your textures in PS then just keep offsetting the canvas, easy.

Quicky threw it together in udk so I can feel like I did something..

I know there's a lot of errors, like the light bleeding in from the outside and smoothing on some of the meshes..
    Also hand painted stuff doesn't really seem to work well with lightmaps.. so I'm kinda lost here.

Any tips on a good light setup? :/ at the moment there's just one dominant spot light.

udk_test.jpg
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baked out a height map and using DX 11 Tessellation! Might need to lower it a bit though.
    K5N09ah.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost wrote: »
    Baked out a height map and using DX 11 Tessellation! Might need to lower it a bit though.
    K5N09ah.jpg

I really like those. You have to be one of the most bipolar artists I've ever seen.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like those. You have to be one of the most bipolar artists I've ever seen.

Thanks man! I wouldn't say bipolar, just way to harsh on my own work most if the time.:poly124: Bad habit I need to kick.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man! I wouldn't say bipolar, just way to harsh on my own work most if the time.:poly124: Bad habit I need to kick.

You're not the only one man.
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hi Sybrix! As Biofrost said I normally make a nice sculpt in Zbrush, I place the tiles there (Zbrush) and then I decimate (or not) the model to take it to 3DsMax to make a planar model or a low poly version of it thinking on the UDK units to place it later (128x128, 256x256, etc).

Render of the High-poly version almost prepared to be baked:

floortile_set.jpg

BTW strong work biofrost!! :)
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K5N09ah.jpg

I want to learn to do that, do you use a height map?
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martizz1e wrote: »
    Finally had some time, heres my blockout, tried to keep it as modular as possible.

Ceiling and side wall ommited for your viewing pleasure.

also, does my sizing look like it will work? Main section I am concered with is the center statue piece, which I haven't added a statue to yet

blockout1_zpsbdaad1c1.jpg

How funny! I did this yesterday on 3dmax to figure out the modular pieces I need. I'll put up a shot when its done.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to learn to do that, do you use a height map?

Yeah you bake out a height map and take a look at my material set up. Remember you have to have a DX 11 compatible video card for this to work.
    RiQkTei.png
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Does anyone have any video tutorials for making low poly models then bringing them into zbrush and back again to be baked down? I've tried following some of the stuff on the wiki and i'm finding it difficult :L

EDIT - I've been reading a bit, and found that some people export their high polys from zbrush and lows from the 3d program straight into xnormal? does anyone happen to have something explaining this process? much appreciated.
  • pragmascript
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey :)

I just started this challenge.

uLWq42y.png
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Aaarg... I just found this! I've never successfully completed a game environment before, but I've been looking for a community activity to join and the concept art for this challenge is just so incredibly lovely.

Even though I might not have time to get through it I think I'm going to dive in... at the very least it'll get me sculpting, and I figure going through it with others will help me when I inevitably run up against the (modular :poly121:) wall where my technical knowledge runs out and I start to cry.

Do we post WIPs here or in separate threads?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Do we post WIPs here or in separate threads?

All WIPs go in this thread, so we can get/give feedback and likely see a bunch of different workflows with the same concept.
  • JustinSlick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    m4dcow wrote: »
    All WIPs go in this thread, so we can get/give feedback and likely see a bunch of different workflows with the same concept.

Right on, thanks!

*edit!* - Wow, holy crap dudes... I just finished going through all 16 pages, and this stuff is fantastic!

@Carter - I love where yours is going... such a great style.

Alright, time to get started--got to play catchup a bit. Does anyone have a good rule of thumb/tutorial for setting up Maya units for UDK?

I've read conflicting info, so now I'm just confused (showing my game-dev noobness already :)).
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love you guys, I can't wait to see the finished scenes!
  • JeremiahJensen
    Anyone know whats wrong with my bakes
    bakingissue_zps1a9ab7a7.jpg

getting weird seams where the edge should round off. I have an idea that it has something to do with where the seams are but i dont know enough yet.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know whats wrong with my bakes
    bakingissue_zps1a9ab7a7.jpg

getting weird seams where the edge should round off. I have an idea that it has something to do with where the seams are but i dont know enough yet.

Split your UV islands on hard edges.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
  • JeremiahJensen
    Split your UV islands on hard edges.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107196
    thanks man :) ill read through this link now
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man :) ill read through this link now

No problem, there are a lot of threads with people asking these questions. If this is too heavy of too much, there are a lot of threads that break it down too, just search threw technical talk.
  • JeremiahJensen
    Some more stuff from today, Everything is super blergh but im learning heaps so its good, im excited to see how much i can improve the next one once i have all the workflows understood

update2_zps00c9a4b4.jpg
  • stonedove
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stonedove polycounter lvl 9
    roomone.jpgBeing this is my first polycount contest, and I have very limited knowledge of UDK, Catmaster pumped me up with the intro rules, I agree, definitely looking to learn a lot and surprise myself. Good luck to every one.

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1005/roomone.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Biofrost - I LOVE YOU! ty for showing me the dx11 tessalation. Now my plain brick models look amazing with cracks generated from a height map! Just one question. Doesnt the tessalation add a lot of verts/faces to a model? Because it doesnt seem like the the tessalation decreases when you get farther away. I may be wrong, but what do you think?

4659Capture.JPG
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to post, here is my WIP. Adding new stones that accent the pool. Currently changed the stones on the rim of the pool. Next are the larger stones. Textured my pillars, and added more contract between the fern leaves and the stone wall. Still dont know what to put in the middle of the pool.

58231.JPG
    727Capture.JPG
  • piko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've wasted well over an hour in 3ds max trying to blockout shapes to fit the reference-yes, total noob, I know right? How did you guys go about doing that? I did the Photoshop vanishing point tutorial but I don't understand exactly how that helps me when inside of 3ds max. I have a box with 96 units as a character ref and I started creating the pool trim at 12x12 units; it just doesn't seem right to me. Only difference is that all of you seem to have managed this in mere minutes.

I created an imgur account to host pics of my progress and even made a design board-per other pplz ideas-but sadly, that is all I can account for.

uDKojfq.jpg
    p6y6E2A.jpg
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my stage atm, I have figured out how big the pieces are, what pieces to use and how it repeats around the scene. The modular pieces are multiples of 16 UDK units with high tendency of being multiples of 64. I have changed the grid settings in 3dmax to 16 as well to snap the pieces. There is in this scene 13 modular pieces? Plus its variations (the blue blocks, light pink and pink walls will surely have variations)

After its 13 modular assets, there is the statue (composed of 3 pieces) the door (door and steps) the pool steps and the wall pillars.

Ignore the pale yellow stuff on the far left. Used that to figure out the sizes of the pieces. So much fun! Its like making the lego bricks.

modularPieces04.jpg
    modularPieces05.jpg

Also, I will showcase the environment, if done, as its open to see the to public as a 3d concept, so it will not have back walls or anything just yet. Maybe at later implementations I will do a full scale dungeon/ruins with more assets.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tkfxity wrote: »
    @Biofrost - I LOVE YOU! ty for showing me the dx11 tessalation. Now my plain brick models look amazing with cracks generated from a height map! Just one question. Doesnt the tessalation add a lot of verts/faces to a model? Because it doesnt seem like the the tessalation decreases when you get farther away. I may be wrong, but what do you think?

4659Capture.JPG

It should be working as long as you multiply the displacement by a World Normal. However it is going to be harder to see depending on how high you have tessellation multiplier. yn0J21G.png

The lower that number the less tessellation it will have. I have it on 2 right now because the scene is so small I traded visual quality over performance(not a huge loss im still getting around 120 fps). However when the number is higher you have to be further away to notice the tessellation go down just because there is so much of it going on.

As you can see here I have to be pretty far away to notice it going down. VddVkFm.png
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, dint notice it took that many triangles Oo I'll give it a go! But not with this project. I am already taking way long and I am afraid I will not finish on time :/