Home General Discussion

How do people generally react when you tell them you're a 3D Artist?

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Joopson wrote: »
    Them: LOL, Gay mart.
    :D! prefect!
    wasn't their one of these thread/topics before?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I have honestly never had any problems explaining what I do. People seem to know that there are videogames and films and that they are '3d' and made with computers. Between Pixar and the Playstation most people have a frame of reference to work off.

It usually goes vaguely like this:

Them: What do you do?
    Me: I'm a 3d modeller - I make 3d art for videogames and films. Mostly its modelling sets or the environment that the game takes place in, levels and the like.
    Them: Oh, must be tough getting into that these days... {some understanding, fall back on common knowledge - finding creative jobs is hard.}

or sometimes,
    Them: Oh, I know so-and-so who works on some film/game/tv...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    "Do you have to programme the lines? Or can you draw them? And how do you colour them in?'

The program them =\

"So, in Pixar films, do they draw all those hairs in for every frame?"

That's the best one I've ever gotten. :)
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    "you made that whole game?!"
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Since my parents are from middle east and there, parents see either a doctor or an engineer in their children.

Dad: " So you plan on wasting your entire life in this."
    mom: " Dont you realize that this doesnt get you anywhere?"
    Others (Not related): " So what sort of games are you planning to work on? I hear its big money in it."
    Others (Related): " .....*turns to someone else to discuss other topics like Mechanical Engineering.*"
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    "you mean like in that movie Grandma's Boy?"
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    adam wrote: »
    "I do the backgrounds you see the characters running around in. I'm an environment artist."

And it stops there. Unless they ask more, I leave it at 'do'.

this is pretty much exactly what i say too. its funny how making games has actually helped me pick up girls from time to time, most of the time if you preface what you do with, "i have the coolest/nerdiest job in the world" 60% of the time......it works everytime.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    "I create worlds! MOHAHAhahahah"

I did notice though, that the mad laughter in the end, kinda turns girls off. Nobody loves a mad scientist... :(

Seriously, I usually just say "You know the areas you run around in and things you pick up? I create those."
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Try explaining that you're a "Lighting Artist" and what you do to a lay person...
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I get called a graphic designer every now and then by neighbors and others when I tell them I'm an artist, kinda annoying because they're not related at all. Outside of my parents, sister and friends no one understands what I do.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first rule of a 3d artist.
    You don't talk about 3d art.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone thinks I do "Gay Art". I say no, GAME Art. Then go, oh you're a game designer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's probably a good idea to avoid the term game art, I say I do environment art for video games as a hobby. And if they are not sure what that entails, I say something like you know how older movies like Starwars were filmed using miniature models of spaceships and cities. Well now they do all that prop work with computers. For movies they have the luxury of only needed to generate footage for certain shots, for video games a player could be anywhere doing anything, so the content has to be created in a way for a computer to be able to generate a new image every 1/30th to 1/60th of a second.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I explain it as imagine sculpting in clay but now imagine doing that on a computer. I go a little further also with explain how my tablet allows me to control things.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually mumble something and change subject :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I got this once from a neighbor when I was living in Orange County.

"oh, you can get paid doing that?"

This guy was some macho man with roided out arms.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    "I help artists make shit look good, run well and done efficiently"

Most get it though my parents think I do movies like Avatar so I just go along with it haha
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    My favourite so far was as followed....

"I make games. Animation specifically"
    oooh thats so cool. thats really hard to get into! Good for you...... *turns and walks away*

But most of the time its like this

"I make video games"
    COOOOOL
    "ya. I do the animations"
    have you worked on anything I would know?
    "no....."
    oh.... well thats still cool! good for you!

If they ask me more specifics, which is usually like, so do you make the people? I reply with something along the lines of "you know shrek? I make him move. Im given a 3dmodel that looks like this (queue me standing in a t-pose) and I make him move"
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    My classic is this. If they have NO idea:

Person: What do you do?

Me: I am a 3D animator.

Person: Cool! I watched avatar in 3D the other day! Y'know.. with those glasses!

Me: Yeah.. uhm.. Not that 3D.. You know how there are, for example, creatures, aliens and such in movies that don't exist in reality?

Person: Yeah..?

Me: That 3D. I make these things move.

Person: You make them... move? I don't get it...

Me: *siiiigh* I work in marketing.

Person: Oh! Why didn't you say so!

True story. Three times now.

If they have at least a bit of a clue:

You know how in games you press a button to make your character jump? Yes? I make him jump. Often enough they get it. But also often they don't. :poly122:
  • matthewjvia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    matthewjvia polycounter lvl 13
    Most of the time, I get this weird clueless look as if they had no idea there was a third dimension or that you could art with a computer. My mom finally sort of understands what I do, but she doesn't really differentiate between 3d art, animation, graphic design, or even programming. My dad thinks I do anything involving a computer. My grandmother calls it drawing (she even bought me a canvas because she wanted me to paint her something). The rest of my family can't wait until they see one of my cartoons on tv. -_-
  • Sam Hatami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    the first rule of a 3d artist.
    You don't talk about 3d art.

Yes!

If you work with something besides general jobs, don't expect anyone outside your industry understanding what you do.

I think more than often, if you have it as a hobby, you'd be regarded as a "nerd", which I could easily be pointed out to. But then I never care what people think of what I do, so never care to tell them :).

"Oh so you rather sit inside infront of your computer instead of going out doors for hours?"

Won't matter what you do :) Not many people understand what I do as a structural engineer, so I usually sum it up as "I make sure that the bridge you drive over every morning doesn't collapse"

"oooooh"
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Them:
    What do you do?
    Me:
    I make characters for video games.
    Them:
    So do you have to do a lot of programming?
    Me:
    No, it's more like sculpting or making something out of papier-m
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    luckily im a programmer with a degree, so when people ask i can say "i am an engineer"
  • WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    Saying you're a game artist is a great party trick, especially in the midwest. I just say I'm a 3D Artist, and that I work on video game environments. If people seem genuinely interested, I just say I sculpt and paint on the computer.

The usual response:

demitrigif.gif

When they find out I've worked on puzzle and adventure games instead of what they play:

done.gif

And sometimes this:
    200.gif
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    In general i just say "Oh nothing special" because most of the time they don't expect something uncommon.
    Too many times i've seen people that still don't get what you do, even if you try hard to explain it!
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I just say `I work in IT`. Then I stab them.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    WDewel wrote: »
    Saying you're a game artist is a great party trick, especially in the midwest. I just say I'm a 3D Artist, and that I work on video game environments. If people seem genuinely interested, I just say I sculpt and paint on the computer.

The usual response:

demitrigif.gif

When they find out I've worked on puzzle and adventure games instead of what they play:

done.gif

Nail on the head right there! :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I feel its wise to be tolerant of people who do not know what you do, because it's really not a big deal of tney don't get it.
    I generally tell people I am a commercial artist anyway, don't really mention the specifics
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I make it a point to not tell people. I wouldn't be able to get any work done with all the women that throw themselves at me.
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    Everyone thinks I do "Gay Art". I say no, GAME Art. Then go, oh you're a game designer.
    lol same here. but people kept hearing "gay mart".. does kinda sound like that but not sure what a gay mart is..
  • fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Once when someone asked, I said I'm at University for Computer Game Modelling & Animation, and he went
    "Oh. Nothing academic then."

-__
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    "Wow, do you speak fluent Klingon too?"

* Rolls eyes while wondering what the Klingon translation is for "I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits" *
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I tell them I play God and make the world the players walk around in. See that grass right there? My divine hands placed it there :)
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    haha, I remember my old polish flat mate when I started out asked me when I was going to get a real job haha.

And when I went to buy our rabbits, the breeders kids kept asking if I made mario. I thought about a long answer about what I do but instead went with 'sure, why not' haha
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I just show them this and they understand. http://3dgame.tumblr.com/
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria wrote: »
    "you mean like in that movie Grandma's Boy?"

Dude I honestly hate whenever anyone compares the game industry to to that stupid movie.

So as a Game/Level Designer I try to explain to people that I am a "Digital Architect" that creates the layout and design of the game's levels. That usually works but sometimes people just assume that means I program everything.

I have to explain to everyone in my family every time I see them during the holidays what I do. My uncle who is generally an idiot always tells me that I should make call of duty. "It can't be that hard to make, they make another one every year!"

- D. Carmine
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    D.Carmine wrote: »
    I have to explain to everyone in my family every time I see them during the holidays what I do.

- D. Carmine

Yes, thank you, this gets really aggravating after a while, especially being asked about how the animation is going even though I don't do animation at all - sometimes its easier just to go along with it :D

Family: "Hows the animation going?"

Me: ".......

.......yep, its going great thanks" :thumbup:
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    To keep things simple I normally say I work on computer games to which the normal reply is:

Ah! so you work in retail?
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom wrote: »
    To keep things simple I normally say I work on computer games to which the normal reply is:

Ah! so you work in retail?

^ YES! I find that particularly frustrating. I guess there not really many game companies here in NZ though so I guess its understandable.... :(
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    It's just because most people can't imagine for what you can use a computer, other than their daily routines like facebook, email, playing games & watching movies.

I've tried it once to explain it to a good friend of mine, who is an architect. After round about one hour i gave up and said, It's like what you do but without the hassle of thinking about structural integrity.
  • PacoCasares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    Usually I show them on my phone the kind of stuff I do. Sometimes I load the UDK city cidatel demo on it, and I tell them that Id like to be on that level of polish and work and its what I am self training to do. If they are interested I show them personal stuff I have done.