Home General Discussion

Yiynova DP10U - Cintiq 12WX alternative

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
So after seeing

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiuxAev7ibU"]Yiynova DP10U Cintiq Alternative first impressions. - YouTube[/ame]

I picked up one of these. I was on the fence about getting a Wacom Cintiq 12WX for home. Just to have for more portable drawing. The Cintiq 12WX has a USB cable, monitor cable, and a power cord. As well as a giant electrical box for all of them. It adds up to not being super portable and a ton of cables.

So the Yiynova DP10U uses 2 USB connections to your computer. It doesn't use the Wacom digitizer. It uses a different one (battery in the pen, etc). It does have 1024 levels of pressure. There is no power cord or anything just the 2 USB connections to the computer. It lends itself to being more portable than the Cintiq 12WX. It's not the best screen. The viewing angle is bad. You need to be on top of it to see it properly and the screen size is small. But if portability is what you want it's great.

I tested (on a Mac not a PC) ZBrush, 3D Coat, Maya, Photoshop, and Sketchbook Pro. everything ran fine as long as the laptop was set to the main display and the Yiynova was the 2nd monitor. It seems to have something to do with which monitor the graphics card is driving. In well that the Yiynova can't have the graphics card drive it.

The hotkeys can't be set to program specific. Seems to be only global hotkeys. I'll keep tinkering with it though to see if I can fix that.

Here's the amazon link for it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-DP10U-Digitizer-Display-Solution/dp/B009QLO8BQ"]Amazon.com: Yiynova DP10U 10.1" USB Digitizer Tablet LCD Display(Mac Solution): Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Just figured others might be in the market for something more portable or not want to spend as much money as the Cintiqs. Any questions feel free to ask. Keep in mind I'm using it on a Mac. I can try to test on a PC sometime though if anyone wants to know anything specific.

Replies