Home General Discussion

Seriously thinking about leaving the US

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Over the past 10 years or so I've had a number of accumulating issues with life in the US. My life is not terrible, by any means, but I don't feel like I can proudly say "I live in the US!" to anyone. I feel ashamed and annoyed.

Like most things in life, if something is within my power to change for the better I make a point to work towards it and this is no different!

That being said, I want to turn this away from anti-America and towards pro-moving.

We're thinking of moving to New Zealand. We also thought of Norway or Sweden, but NZ is closer to both my wife and my liking.

Anyone live in NZ? Been there? What do you guys know about NZ? Share all the info! We're thinking about optimally moving in ~5 years.

Replies

• Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    What are you thinking of doing for work? Freelance?

I'd love to move to NZ one day, maybe even work for WETA :)
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I like Norway honestly. But I don't want to deal with the whole adventure of moving, learning a new culture and all the high ping in games.

It's not that I don't respect that they have their own culture I just cant be assed to deal with changing
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, just freelancing. Maybe WETA, but I'd like to push my freelance concepting.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Haiasi wrote: »
    Yeah, just freelancing. Maybe WETA, but I'd like to push my freelance concepting.

for WETA and similar studios you will need previous film experience, so get going on that.
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Life is expensive in EU.You would pass better moving to NZ.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Any specific reasons why you want to move? Sounds more like you just want a change of scenery.

And NZ is crazy expensive, and is full of lame kiwi's. Australia on the other hand... :) (srsly, move to australia, its rad ^^)
    I'm currently in canada, heard vancouver is really nice. Sweden is meant to be really great to live also.

And if you do settle on NZ, weta is more into hiring locally so thats a good step i guess. And you can try for weta workshop over weta digital, they do the concept stuff, digital does the production biz. But you have to be really awsome AND have alot of film stuff on your folio/resume, they hate game stuff.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Over the past 10 years or so I've had a number of accumulating issues with life in the US. My life is not terrible, by any means, but I don't feel like I can proudly say "I live in the US!" to anyone. I feel ashamed and annoyed.

Like most things in life, if something is within my power to change for the better I make a point to work towards it and this is no different!

That being said, I want to turn this away from anti-America and towards pro-moving.

We're thinking of moving to New Zealand. We also thought of Norway or Sweden, but NZ is closer to both my wife and my liking.

Anyone live in NZ? Been there? What do you guys know about NZ? Share all the info! We're thinking about optimally moving in ~5 years.

I dont blame you. Our country feels like its excited to commit suicide and it doesnt look like thats going to turn around anytime soon...at least for another 4 years.

After watching this video...(it was a bit of fresh air), Canada seems like a good place if one were to relocate.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWkUaJId7pM&feature=share"]Avoid the Fiscal Cliff - Economic Freedom Speech - Pierre Poilievre - Enhanced Version - YouTube[/ame]
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    You better apply now for citizenship as that can take decades to obtain depending on the country. Do you or your wife have a post secondary degree? That can help with at least obtaining visas.

I should point out that other than weta, you may as you say have to depend on freelance there. Unless your wife has a more common career.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I'm pretty sure you have to have 3 years film experience for them (Weta) to support a working visa but I dunno about already being there...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Canada is also one of the options. We've visited Canada a few times (only a few hours drive) and loved it. Our primary reason is going somewhere that is more stable and doesn't look like it is about to implode in the next 10 years. On the flip side, moving somewhere we will love.

This probably rules out moving to Europe, which is not a big deal because that is literally on the other side of the world (do not want). NZ and Canada are close to both my wife and my families.

Both my wife and I have bachelor's degrees, so that's good info oXYnary.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    @ Oxnary, depends on your health and other factors as well if you decide to chance citizenship. If the wife is a citizen of either of those countries, might make it easier. I heard NZ is a PITA to get into... married or not. I think they hunt people for population control, but don't quote me on that.

You're young, full of sugar and it would be a great chance to see the world. You might get the "WTF did I do" moments, but as long as the wife backs you, it will be fine. It might do great things for your creativity.

I did it 4 years ago, sold all my stuff and moved to Japan. Have not looked back.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck :)
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you are wanting to move because of some sort of nationalistic inferiority complex, that is the wrong reason. If you are wanting to move in order to improve your personal circumstances, that is perfectly reasonable and worth pursuing.

Canada is a decent option. One of the major factors to keep in mind with Canada is the property taxes. Owning a house in Canada is no laughing matter in terms of cost. Also, the weather throughout most of Canada is going to be noticeably colder than most other locales. This means fantastic summers, but long, brutal winters. If you like colder weather, you would feel right at home.

I don't know if you're into hunting or fishing, but Canada is also well-known for these hobbies.

I would personally consider moving to Australia. It has some of the same desert climates that I've grown used to living in AZ. The biggest drawbacks to heading down under would be the cost of video games, and the proliferation of potentially dangerous wildlife. Australia has some gorgeous scenery, but it is also home to some of the deadliest creatures on the planet. I'm an arachniphobe, and would wet myself if I ran across a funnel-web.

If I could ever afford to, I would personally favor Spain or Portugal for relocation destinations.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Lamont wrote: »
    I did it 4 years ago, sold all my stuff and moved to Japan. Have not looked back.

moving to japan is some thing i been interested for a while now.

can you please elaborate more on how you approached it ?
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Come to Canada! Vancouver/Montreal are awesome cities and have a huge gaming scene (Vancouver not so much anymore)

You don't like Seattle? I have always wanted to live in the Seattle area is it true that Seattle is stuck in the 90's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9CzLCbkY
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    Canada is actually one of the more stringent countries about obtaining citizenship. It took my sister years to gain it even though she was married to a Canadian.

I gotta say I'm thinking that you Haisai and dataday want to leave from the opposite ends. Even if I'm completely off with that. There were plenty of people who claimed to want to move during the Bush years, then the opposite faction with Obama. Most gave up after realizing, just because you come from another first world country, does not mean you get preferential treatment in citizenship bureaucracy.

Sometimes its better stay and not only fight, but listen as well.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I've thought of that a couple times, but if I'm going to move way away, I'd like to go to some radically different place like Japan, China, etc. for the adventure, rather than a some place where the traditions and culture are so similar to home like Norway, Great Britain, Australia, Canada or New Zealand. How smooth was it for you Lamont?

As my plans currently sit, I think I'll keep working my ass off here in the states till I can keep getting some freelancing gigs on a regular basis so I don't have to worry about trying to fit into a studio where I don't get the traditions or language that well.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I've been wanting to do this too. Some place in Europe. It's purely out of wanting a sense of adventure though. New culture, learning a new language, that kind of stuff.

But as far as I know there's no direct way of doing this, right? You can't just apply for papers. I'd need to get a job offer there first, and then they'd hook me up with all the visas and whatnot.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »
    Come to Canada! Vancouver/Montreal are awesome cities and have a huge gaming scene (Vancouver not so much anymore)

You don't like Seattle? I have always wanted to live in the Seattle area is it true that Seattle is stuck in the 90's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_9CzLCbkY

No, that's Portland. We are stuck being jealous of Vancouver, BC annnnd Portland here.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    I think you need to remember that New Zealanders have a horrendous accent (ask one to say six - it sounds like sex! gigglegiggle).

Also they are a bunch of Sheep-Shaggers.

My job here as an Australian is done.

On an actually on topic note, I really do encourage you do live somewhere else, even if just to try it for 6 months or something. I moved to the UK about mid way through last year, and though London isn't exactly my favorite city ever, and it's been incredibly stressful trying to find work, I'm really enjoying it, and have met some amazing people.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    There's going to be ups and downs no matter where you go but...

I moved from Florida to Montreal. Not only was the climate a bit of a shell shock but moving to an area that mostly speaks a different language was as well. I'm really enjoying the culture here though and there's plenty of places to apply for jobs and things to do. Tech/infrastructure imo isn't amazing but they're working on it.
  • Foe
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Everybody wants to go to Weta these days, great idea I'm sure, moving to NZ and such. However, on that "hiring locals" deal is probably a "citizens only" kind of deal. This will probably be the case in a competitive job market.

However there are alternative ways of working wherever you wish, and that is the way of the Craig Mullins. He lives in Hawaii and does contract work from there and not moving from that spot.
  • VelvetElvis
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    America is not so bad....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O77z2OAG0t0"]castro gives in to america simpsons - YouTube[/ame]

Just make sure you fully research this move. The reality of it is, you are just going to trade one set of problems for another. You just have to weigh which ones you are willing to trade.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I lived in New Zealand for a couple months. Loved it. Would go back in a heartbeat.
    Then again, I just spent my time Drinking, eating good food & surfing all day long.

I really enjoyed meeting the people down there as well. To me, I felt I was always welcomed and felt like home.
    Sorry, I can't talk about the job opportunities there. Wish you the best of luck in any direction you head though!
  • nyx702
    I gotta say that I think about moving too. Then I talk to someone from another country and they always tell me how bad it is and all the sucky things about their country. That makes me appreciate what I have more.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Weta isn't New Zealanders only. They hire plenty of folks from elsewhere. A sizable chunk of their digital department art Australians and plenty of other foreign types too. It's like getting an art job anywhere else - if you've got talent then the rest can be worked around.
    I would personally consider moving to Australia. It has some of the same desert climates that I've grown used to living in AZ. The biggest drawbacks to heading down under would be the cost of video games, and the proliferation of potentially dangerous wildlife. Australia has some gorgeous scenery, but it is also home to some of the deadliest creatures on the planet. I'm an arachniphobe, and would wet myself if I ran across a funnel-web.
    Australia isn't nearly as dangerous as we like to tell the tourists. We do have a lot of dangerous animals but they're spread across a vast, vast area of land. You're really not much more likely to be injured by animals here than you might be mauled by a bear in the US.
  • Paradan
    Jackablade wrote: »
    ...You're really not much more likely to be injured by animals here than you might be mauled by a bear in the US.

http://www.geekosystem.com/hunter-mauled-by-shot-bear/
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/26/us/alaska-bear-attack/index.html
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/05/bear-attack-montana_n_2074306.html

honestly, this is why we have so many dam guns.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Haven't been to NZ but I think you'd like it better than Sweden. If it's anything like Australia you'll love it. Then again, I have no idea if they even have any studios worth checking out. In Sweden there's at least DICE and Avalanche, etc.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    You've taken the words right out of my mouth! I've wanted to move out of the states for a long long time now. Unfortunately I dont have the experience most companies look for when they reach out to other countries. I've been trying to jump over to the UK or Canada but no luck so far.

There are plenty of political reasons as to why I want out of here, but most of my reasoning is just wanting to be immersed in a new culture. We're pretty culture less here in the states, well.....media is our culture for the most part. I just want to LIVE and learn in another country that isnt something i've grown up to dislike a smuch as I do the states.

Plus I reallllly want to learn french :D So yeah I completely understand how you feel and I feel the same way. I've been shooting for montreal, toronto or anywhere in england. I'll not give up until i'm there :D
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I think I will move back home to NZ one day, could be sooner rather than later as well. In a way i really do miss it, I havent lived there for 12 years now. We will either settle down in Tasmania ( as beautiful as NZ - temperatures similar ) or somewhere in New Zealand.

Really good soil for gardening, people are pretty easy going and laid back, wages are not that high in nz and technology is pretty expensive. Games are expensive to buy in stores ( $120 for a new release - but who buys games from stores anymore anyway - ozgameshop baby )

I lived in Auckland for most of my younger life, where were you thinking of moving to Haiasi??
    If you freelance - i think it could be a really good decision to setup just outside of town, in the countryside hobbit style. Get yourself an awesome net connection and just chill man. Charge US dollars for your NZ work.. you could make a pretty good living :)

P.S Australia kinda sucks for that atm, our dollar has been higher than the US for so long now.. boo.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    nyx702 wrote: »
    I gotta say that I think about moving too. Then I talk to someone from another country and they always tell me how bad it is and all the sucky things about their country. That makes me appreciate what I have more.
    Not sure which countries you've heard about, but here are some Pros and cons about Sweden:

Pros:
    - Great healthcare system, we have equal and free access to healthcare.
    - Low unemployment and poverty rates.
    - Great standards of living.
    - High salaries.
    - Not a shitload of people. Just 9 million in the entire country, around 2 million in Stockholm.
    - (Beautiful women :)).

Cons:
    - Shitty weather, we get a couple of weeks of summer... Officially summer is between June-August, but we rarely get more than a few weeks of great weather.
    - People tend to be fairly introverted. We keep to ourselves, but we're nice to people when we have to. Obviously that's just speaking from my own experience.
    - It's expensive. That's why we have fairly high salaries I guess so it evens out.
    - Fairly high taxes.

That's all I can think of. Any other Swedes are welcome to pitch in of course.
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13

I've heard nothing but great things about Sweden. I have a couple friends up there who studied over here in California and they constantly post up pictures of Stockholm. IT is absolutely stunning, such a beautiful country both culturally and architecturally. I tried at DICE awhile ago but they were only bringing over senior artists at the time....again not enough experience :/

Also i love and miss snow :D
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    MM wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate more on how you approached it ?
    Sure.
    Wife: "I want to move back to Japan."
    Me: "Sure."

Sent the wife and kid first. Stayed and worked every odd job (from photography to security guard) and saved every penny then followed 5 months later.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't worry about moving to a colder climate unless you know you really can't stand them. It's funny how quickly you get used to it. Unless you're in some really rural town, snow is also a non-issue as northern cities are very on top of plowing etc.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    I think I will move back home to NZ one day, could be sooner rather than later as well. In a way i really do miss it, I havent lived there for 12 years now. We will either settle down in Tasmania ( as beautiful as NZ - temperatures similar ) or somewhere in New Zealand.

Really good soil for gardening, people are pretty easy going and laid back, wages are not that high in nz and technology is pretty expensive. Games are expensive to buy in stores ( $120 for a new release - but who buys games from stores anymore anyway - ozgameshop baby )

I lived in Auckland for most of my younger life, where were you thinking of moving to Haiasi??
    If you freelance - i think it could be a really good decision to setup just outside of town, in the countryside hobbit style. Get yourself an awesome net connection and just chill man. Charge US dollars for your NZ work.. you could make a pretty good living :)

P.S Australia kinda sucks for that atm, our dollar has been higher than the US for so long now.. boo.

I'd be happy to hear anything about your life in NZ. My wife and I have lived in cities most of our lives, excluding my childhood. I really miss the remoteness of my first home and how it was buried in the woods. My brothers and I would go out for 5-6 hours just wandering around.

We would like to get some place quiet with a decent amount of land, somewhere we can let our dogs run forever. I would like to freelance, as I have said and you reiterated, and living out in the country in NZ would work fine for that.

I'm honestly not concerned about the prices of technology and video games. I'm leaning more towards off-the-grid than "connected" nowadays. I do enjoy internet, movies, and games, but nothing like I used to.

As for where to live, we're not sure. The thought literally came out of nowhere today and my wife and I talked about it seriously, and it grew into a very serious interest for both of us!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I would absolutely love to move to the UK and live and work there for a while. Just went to England this past Oct and I loved it! And getting to explore all the other amazingness that is Europe would be so much easier than living and working in the states ha.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    What I loved about Norway was the social system - especially job security for women (most other eu countries are miles away from this), and the attitude of most Norwegians that if you contributed to the system you deserve to benefit from it, no matter if you're Norwegian or not. Quality of living is indeed very good; Quality of social services, infrastructure and public healthcare too, and it's a really beautiful country on top.

Prices are very high, but you get paid accordingly, and you're a king when you visit any other country with lower prices ;) People do keep to themselves, which can be annoying. Eating out is also not something you do often - so you should build up a circle of friends to hang out with in your or their homes. Long winters, especially the ones without snow, can be depressing. Norwegian language is imho difficult to speak, reading is not so difficult. Norwegians make it hard to learn the language though because you can get around with just English almost everywhere. Even most government forms are available in a multitude of languages (unlike in many other eu countries)! I could imagine moving back some day to live there. Especially for families it is a great country to live in.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I have been thinking the same thing but sadly I need to finish my degree to get a visa :/
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be happy to hear anything about your life in NZ. My wife and I have lived in cities most of our lives, excluding my childhood. I really miss the remoteness of my first home and how it was buried in the woods. My brothers and I would go out for 5-6 hours just wandering around.

We would like to get some place quiet with a decent amount of land, somewhere we can let our dogs run forever. I would like to freelance, as I have said and you reiterated, and living out in the country in NZ would work fine for that.

I'm honestly not concerned about the prices of technology and video games. I'm leaning more towards off-the-grid than "connected" nowadays. I do enjoy internet, movies, and games, but nothing like I used to.

As for where to live, we're not sure. The thought literally came out of nowhere today and my wife and I talked about it seriously, and it grew into a very serious interest for both of us!

Sounds awesome dude :) Well I spent most of my youth in South Auckland, kinda the rougher part of auckland city, I wouldnt reccomend living anywhere near there. Haha!

Auckland city is pretty nice, its small, and fairly simple and compact. I know most of the north island from hamilton right to the very top - like the back of my hand. Travelled around these parts and coasts almost on a weekly basis my entire younger life searching for the ultimate fishing / camping spots, so I know a few good-uns. The best thing about NZ is that it really doesnt take you long to get into the absolute unknown - By sea or by road. And when you are in the absolute unknown, nothings going to kill you. There are no savage animals, no snakes, absolutely nothing thats bigger than or would consider you lunch.

There is only one poisonous spider that could endanger your life with its venom but youd be doing well to piss it off enough to bite you ( think poking at it constantly with your fingers before it decides its had enough - its a redback or katapo spider usually found in rotting logs etc - so you really have to go looking hard to find them.

If I were to move back i think i would opt for something slightly more remote, similar to what you talk about. Need a bit of land, want to get some animals - but not so remote as to run off solar and wind only haha ( while i would actually TOTALLY prefer to live off the grid BTW - not sure how feasible that is running 2 computers and having all the electronic luxuries )

The south island is still largely unexplored for me, its much cooler down there than the north island ( thats where most of the colder looking parts of the lord of the wings was shot ) and the kiwis down there have an even thicker accent than the north - sometimes to the point where its even difficult for me to understand. Theres always a bit of banter going on between 'north and south islanders' its all good stuff.

Schooling is generally pretty good. Otago University is NZ's world renowned University and im not sure if your aware but NZ is a very sport orientated country - most kids grow up wanting to be an 'all black' (boys) or silver fern (girls) which are the national Rugby and Netball teams respectively.

Kiwi's are fiercely proud of our work ethic, attitude and approach to life - we are a 'get it done - worry about everything else later' minded folk - watch them making of LOTR extended editions you'll see what I mean.

I hope you dont mind the Rain, because its plentiful in NZ - you'll learn to really enjoy the sunny days :) For example, last time I was in wellington it was a gorgeous day - and most of the suits in the city centre were out... in their suits... just laying in the grass sleeping. ( aparently it was the first sunny day in about 2 months straight ) So most businesses were like.. alright.. get outside lets soak this up!

Food is fantastic, because NZ is rediculously multicultural - Indians, Pakistanis, Tongans, Samoans, Pacific Islanders, you have the indigenous Maori, Lots of Japanese / Chinese, Swedish / Danish folks of course tonnes of English folk too - You'll likely be able to find all manner of exotic foods from any of these countries if thats your thing. If your a Wine drinker, NZ is world renowned for its White wines produced on the South Island. Tbh the whole connoisseur food and drink thing is pretty damned big in NZ now that I think about it.

Writing all this made me terribly homesick - curse you. I want to move back home now.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous- Haha, sorry! Well it's always good to reminisce. Seattle is pretty brutal with its rain too, I've been taking Vitamin D ever since I moved here from Portland (I didn't think it'd be much different, but I was very wrong). So no, I don't mind the rain and I also know when to fully appreciate the sun.

So if I were a foreigner moving in to live, the northern island is probably more "doable," yeah?

You're making me more excited!
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it depends on how adventurous you are man, South island particularly around the Wanaka region is one of the places I wouldnt mind going and maybe settling down but we would have to explore first to see if we liked it. If you like old vintage aircraft they actually hold a world famous get together down there called Warbirds over Wanaka - have always wanted to go to this!!

What I would do first is probably organise a trip for your and your wife and do a bit of a 2 or 3 week whirlwind tour from the top of the north down to the bottom of the south ( you can pretty much drive the length of the north island in about 12 hours without stopping, but definitely chill out in a few of the towns along the way, find some places you like etc check out the local real estate etc.

Take a look at this site man to get an idea of what you might be looking at dinero wise to buy or even rent a piece of land with a house on it :)

P.S Dont forget to convert your dollars before being blown away by the prices!

www.realestate.co.nz

P.P.S We drive on the correct side of the road down here :P :P :P
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure which countries you've heard about, but here are some Pros and cons about Sweden:

Pros:
    - Great healthcare system, we have equal and free access to healthcare.
    - Low unemployment and poverty rates.
    - Great standards of living.
    - High salaries.
    - Not a shitload of people. Just 9 million in the entire country, around 2 million in Stockholm.
    - (Beautiful women :)).

Cons:
    - Shitty weather, we get a couple of weeks of summer... Officially summer is between June-August, but we rarely get more than a few weeks of great weather.
    - People tend to be fairly introverted. We keep to ourselves, but we're nice to people when we have to. Obviously that's just speaking from my own experience.
    - It's expensive. That's why we have fairly high salaries I guess so it evens out.
    - Fairly high taxes.

Denmark, Norway and Sweden are great places to live in! Sweden is definitly the one of the 3 with most game studios and jobs, however if I remember correctly, the booze is expensive or something like that since many swedes travel from Malmø to Copenhagen to get wasted. Norway is crazy expensive compared to the two others, however I think their health care system and wages blows Denmark and Sweden out of the waters. Also, Sweden and Norway are beautiful countries, where Denmark is not so much.
    If you want a very stable environment with shitty weather, go for Scandinavia!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    If you want a very unstable environment that might fall into the sea at any moment with shitty weather, go to New Zealand.

But I kid. I spent nine months in Wellington, New Zealand working at Sidhe/Pikpok and it's a rather lovely place in spite of the gale force winds and occasional shaking. Quite a lot like Melbourne actually, albeit on a much smaller scale. I wouldn't mind getting back over there at some point.

There aren't a lot of games studios there though. Sidhe in Wellington and Gameloft up north in Aukland are the only sizeable ones that aren't obviously fronts for organised crime. I know plenty of games folks who've gotten into Weta though, a few of whom didn't immediatley strike me as being the most jaw droppingly amazing artists (Not to say any of them were bad, just not quite with the type of skill level you might expect to find places in arguably the most prestigious effects house in the world) so that'd certainly be worth looking into.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    New Zealand has Hobbits right? I'm sold.
  • fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    I'd love to work for WETA, but then again, who wouldnt?
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    New Zealand has Hobbits right? I'm sold.
    I'm pretty sure Nizza Waarg is a hobbit who managed to escape by posing as a game artist.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    If you're planning this move in 5 years time, then it's important to stay focused on that goal. In my experience 5 years is a long time when it comes to feeling like a major move right now.

But I recommend everybody that feels like it switches countries at some point. Really helps you grow as a person.
  • Mrskullface
    sometimes when you gotta get out, you gotta get out. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, I have a friend that spent 2 year at WETA as a face modeler. I can ask him what ever you want to know. Good Luck!
  • Mithdia
    Offline / Send Message
    Mithdia polycounter lvl 8
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    Denmark, Norway and Sweden are great places to live in! Sweden is definitly the one of the 3 with most game studios and jobs, however if I remember correctly, the booze is expensive or something like that since many swedes travel from Malmø to Copenhagen to get wasted. Norway is crazy expensive compared to the two others, however I think their health care system and wages blows Denmark and Sweden out of the waters. Also, Sweden and Norway are beautiful countries, where Denmark is not so much.

Finland is also quite similar to Sweden and Norway, just that our language is completely different and we don't have many bigger game studios around here yet.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Autocon wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to move to the UK and live and work there for a while. Just went to England this past Oct and I loved it! And getting to explore all the other amazingness that is Europe would be so much easier than living and working in the states ha.

Don't kid yourself man, I wouldn't recommend the UK, definitely not London. Unless you're going to earn insane amounts it's not that nice.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    London is indeed a great place to visit, but I wouldn't recommend moving to the south of England simply down to the insane cost of living (which just doesn't stop rising at the moment).