Home General Discussion

Asset creation speed?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

So I was wondering what a good time frame for certain models are.

I am mostly doing character art and for some reason when I think about speed for characters I think it should be 1 week. (5 days 9-5) Is this the proper time frame in a production environment?
'Cause I have noticed that whenever I work on a character I always go over a week and I work 7 days on it, some days more productive than others, and work way more than 8 hours a day. (Honestly.. Sometimes I just get sick of working on game assets.)

Am I just too slow? Or was that 'one week' time frame that stuck in my head not accurate?

I feel like that what is holding me back is my crappy laptop as well.
Its a 4 year old system, I still run vista (32bit). Has about 3 gb of ram an intel core2 duo at 2,4ghz and an ATI mobility radeon 3470HD.

Why I think this is holding me back? My laptop cant handle sculpts that are over 2,5million polygons. So I am forced to model most of my details instead of scultping them, which obviously takes more time.

Basically my question is.. How long should it take to complete a finished mid. detail (accesories, not the 'generic' shirt and jeans or suits, possible props like guns, knives, handbag rucksack and what not) 'next gen' game character in a production environment?

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    One Day!

What I've been hearing is two weeks for the really good stuff at some places.

4-6 Days tops at others.

2-4 weeks movies.

Wouldn't it be called current gen by now? or is that only when a next-gen is underway?

Also yea an upgrade would help but in reality you could probably get away with making each piece/accessory 2.5 million and actually be alright, you could never see all the pieces together though until you've already baked your pieces into the game res mesh.

or screenshots mixed together in PS.

Your call but usually an upgrade is your best bet, hopefully more peeps will come along to help you out.

What ever time your allowed by the company?
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    yeah totaly depends.
    for example you could be making a strategy game character in a day, and a huge bossmonster in more then a month.
    anyways, you should never rush things because you have the feeling you are not fast enough.

quality always goes over quantity, escpecialy with characters.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Goeddy wrote: »
    quality always goes over quantity, escpecialy with characters.

whut? Because people see the enemies in an FPS much better than the environment? ^^ Also, deadlines. Speed always go over quality, no game ever shipped with perfect assets across the board. Deadlines is what will always decide how much time you have : )
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    The question is "would it be in any way detrimental to the end product if I stopped working on this right now"
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah, every game has shipped with assets that the artists wish that it hadn't. But that's how deadlines work. :)
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bb0x, It really depends on the scope of the project and the budget that is given. When working on personal projects I think people tend to polish work and keep polishing and take much longer. But when there are deadlines and budgets involved you need to make sure everything fits within the timeline. I like to give myself and my team milestones for each part of the process.

For example, if you have a 40 hour asset your milestones might look like this. -16hrs highpoly, -8hrs lowpoly model and UVs, -8hrs bake, -8hrs texturing. This is only an example and it really depends on what you are making, but I find subdividing my tasks and having clear cutoffs really helps hit timelines.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer wrote: »
    whut? Because people see the enemies in an FPS much better than the environment? ^^ Also, deadlines. Speed always go over quality, no game ever shipped with perfect assets across the board. Deadlines is what will always decide how much time you have : )
    But that is assuming your quality is high enough to land the job.

For people practicing who haven't hit that quality mark, they need to focus on making decent stuff before they focus on speed. They can get themselves in some really bad habits that are hard to break by focusing on speed too early.

No one will hire someone who makes horrifically bad models but does it really fast. Once you prove you can do the quality, then it shifts gears to getting it done on time.

Make crap models slowly, don't get a job.
    Get fast and still make crap models, don't get a job.
    Get good, get fast, get job!

Of course the quality bar for some studios is quite a bit lower and easier to reach but those typically aren't long-term employment. The higher the persons quality the more they can shop around.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16

For people practicing who haven't hit that quality mark, they need to focus on making decent stuff before they focus on speed.

Yes, that is true, but he specifically stated in a production environment, so thats what i was talking about. For people trying to land a job or doing personal work its obviously very different yea : )
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    For sophisticated characters, a one week limit is way too little. Up to four weeks or so might be a good average for characters with a nice amount of detail, normal maps etc.

For portfolio work...however long it takes to make them look really nice. For studio work...you will probably be given time limits.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot the exact amount but Epic has been given figures for I think Gears 2 characters, and it was quite a lot more than a week. However we all know just how very detailed the Gears art style is.

Another one that I know is Blur's average time for the human characters in the Far Cry 3 CG trailer, which was about 30 days and included textures, shaders and hair. It also included some re-use like the base mesh for the anatomy parts (body, head etc).
    Mind you this is high poly and so a bit different kind of work.

These studios are both considered to be top class, too, so quality was probably paramount in both cases.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    I felt the same few days ago when I was doing environment work for "Noob Environment Challenge 3"... I felt I have been working soo much on it, yet cant finish much props [felt I am way too slow]...
    Then I recently started noting the time, every props takes from modeling/texturing and everything... Meaning, Now I record all the time, I spend on anything...

I think the competition is not with others, but with yourself.. Improving yourself.. Keeping record will at least help me know if I am doing better or not...

And if you are working for a company, you are surely given a deadline[no choice].
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers!

Thanks for the replies everyone, this definitely put my mind to ease a bit.
    Now I don't have to feel bad when I give someone an estimate of how long I think something would take me and spend allot longer on it and give them a more realistic time frame.

It´ll be nice, not to be bound to my computer 24/7 either =]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bb0x wrote: »
    Cheers!

Thanks for the replies everyone, this definitely put my mind to ease a bit.
    Now I don't have to feel bad when I give someone an estimate of how long I think something would take me and spend allot longer on it and give them a more realistic time frame.

It´ll be nice, not to be bound to my computer 24/7 either =]
    When someone asks for a time estimate always shoot long, this does two things;
    1) Gives you time to breath and rework something if you need to.
    2) Makes you look like a machine because you finished ahead of schedule if it all goes according to plan.

If you ever end up creating schedules for other people this is critical to avoiding burn out, over time and an armed insurrection.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good tips. Right now the exact opposite is happening.
    Too little time to fix some details, thus lower quality work.
    Makes me look like a slowpoke.

I am feeling the burn out slowly kick in right now for myself.
    Some breathing room is definitely needed.

What is a good "longer estimate"? Times 1,5? Times 2?
    Anyway, from now on my estimates for characters will be at least 2 weeks and some days extra.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well the main thing here is Portfolio work and Studio Production work are Completely different.

If your building a portfolio I would do the best you can do, don't rush it. But generally a 4 weeks is enough time for a good folio character, several months and your lazy or over ambitious lol, a week and it's probably rushed.

In a studio environment it is entirely based on the project and character.
    Bigger studios Can obviously spend more time to make higher quality assets than smaller studios, there's also the technical specs, importance of the character, prerequisites specific to project = gibs etc. The pipeline of the studio, base meshes, specific workflows to follow etc.

There's also planning for extra time, encase real life butts in, changes & tweaks.

You'll learn speed with time and experience.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Salesman.

I am not really worried about my speed tbh. I just recently started doing some freelance work and promised to make characters in a roughly a week, since that was what I thought something should take. (I do not know how that stuck in my head..)

But yeah I figured I should verify how long it usually takes with more experienced guys.
    One, so I don't work myself to death trying to finish something in a certain time frame. Two, so I do not mess stuff up for other artists by giving unrealistic estimates, like the 12 year old offering to make assets for 5 bucks.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know anything about your reltionship with particular client, but if you made promise do your best to keep it.

If it's impossible, try talking to your client about extending deadline a bit. If I were one doing the hiring last thing I'd want is someone blowing deadline OR receiving assets that are getting progressively worse because artist is burning himself out and cutting too many corners to deliver on time.

Alternatively, take a look at your workflow. Identify areas that are eating most of your time and try addressing those issues. Invest in better retopo/uv tools, optimize your baking workflow, if your PC is interfering with your work upgrade it etc etc.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, thanks Sandro.

I intend to finish this piece in a time and let my client know that I have over estimated my own speed, and thus in the future I would need more time.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    MPS = Models per second.
    MPH = Models per hour.

I usually operate at 4 million MPS. Sometimes though I have to cut it back to about 2000 MPH because people die.

Like everyone else has mentioned, all depends on what your working on, but sometimes like Snefer said, there's deadlines and they just have to be met. I was approached at about 2:00pm in the afternoon to come up with a 'giant dragon boss' that needed to be done by 'tomorrow morning' thats my shortest deadline ever. I'm not sure it will ever be eclipsed. No problem though because anythig less than 1 MPH is idle speed.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shit.. looks like its time to oil up.

I cant even make 4 primitives in 1 second. ='[
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    bb0x wrote: »
    Oh shit.. looks like its time to oil up.

I cant even make 4 primitives in 1 second. ='[

Don't worry, you just have to learn a bit of scripting so you can make the "Generate Awesome Models" script and bind it to a button. Then just Mortal Combat spam the button and you will become awesome in no time!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    For me generally a week for the sculpt ie 5 working days at 8hrs per day( 1 hr lunch)
    then another 5 days for the rest ie low poly plus textures. I rarely get the chance to have more polish time on characters but my last project for a commercial was pretty good time wise.

In advertising I generally only get asked to do the modelling then it is passed across to other people. times range from a few days to 5 weeks depending on what it is
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks guys! =]