Home General Discussion

Dealing with Art Tests

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
d1ver polycounter lvl 14
Hey there folks,
Over time I've got a lot of letters from people asking for advices on their art tests and recently the influx of those letters increased again so I decided to write down what I usually have to say. You can get it on my blog here or on my website soon. But I know you're too lazy to click a link, so I'll just leave it here :) :
Dealing with Art Tests

In my opinion with art tests it's not really about the quality - it's about the impression. As long as you make people go "wow" and don't allow any major incompetence to show through - the job is yours.

The audience never knows what they want to see. They usually expect something similar to what they've already seen, but that impedes your ability to impress or even bring something new to the table. Which is exactly what we need from people in this industry and what the audience really expects.

So my advice would be to go through all the versions of the test you can find on-line, make a bullet-point list of qualities that you think made those tests impressive and another one for all the mistakes you must not repeat.

Then go through all the games the studio has made, the whitepapers they've published, their history on wikipedia or elsewhere, the art dumps they post online and the artists they employ and the test specs they've given you. Try to figure out what makes them tick, what makes them them.
Whatever info you find, try to use it in some capacity to show the studio that you're more intimate with their processes then they expect, that you're trying to conform to their ways and would be a great fit for them right off the bat.

After a thorough analysis add a few original points to the first list. Something of your own that you think will take this test to the next level. And then make sure that all your actions reinforce the vision you set for yourself and avoid the mistakes you've outlined.

It's important to remember that since it's all about impression you can go out of the boundaries(not specs) of what the test initially requires. In fact, I always would. Make an impressive piece of artwork and not an impressive art-test. Allow yourself no excuses for whatever restrictions you have. If the test doesn't look good to a person absolutely ignorant to your constraints, then chances are you'll have a hard time impressing the people you need to impress.

I'm not saying that people don't get jobs by just following the guidelines, but when you are going to take no small amount of time to fight for a place at a particular studio you must really want that job.
So go all out or go home.
If you're going to half-ass it you might not even start at all, 'cause there's always going to be someone more motivated who will crush you with sheer enthusiasm. Show the company that you are that guy.

Now to be honest, I'm against the idea of an art test that takes longer then a weekend to complete. The test system, as it is now, is unbalanced and at places downright exploitative of the potential employees. It is an employers market and even a successful art test does not guarantee you a job. Keep that in mind when investing a month in your next test to avoid potential disappointment.

Noticed I used "when" instead of "before"? That's because you will take whatever test they give you and you should. It's reckless to talk about fairness when your future is at stake. You don't toy with that. The world is not fair and it never was.
That's why in the long run it's not the quality of your tests that will decide your future, but your resilience. Be relentless in chasing your dreams and you'll get what you desire.

And one day we'll get a union :)

Recap(TL/DR):
-Research the team
-Research the test
-Outline the traits worth repeating/improving, mistakes worth avoiding
-Figure out your unique input/twist on the test
-Impress. Overdeliver if you have to
-Go do another one

I hope it could be helpful to some of you folks

Cheers,
Andrew

Replies

• Rob_Blight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    Now to be honest, I'm against the idea of an art test that takes longer then a weekend to complete. The test system, as it is now, is unbalanced and at places downright exploitative of the potential employees. It is an employers market and even a successful art test does not guarantee you a job. Keep that in mind when investing a month in your next test to avoid potential disappointment.
    I can resonate with this. I had a few art tests in the latter part of last year and they can really take it out of you, especially if you get a few in a row or a 2 week one.

To me they are about proving you can produce great work under pressure and to a deadline. You can take your time working on a portfolio, but you only have a few days or a couple of weeks at most for an art test - it can be hard for someone inexperienced to produce something great in that time.

I may not be the best person to be giving advice on this, but if I was to give advice I would say work like a beast, don't procrastinate, and try to make yourself stand out in some way. Be prepared for critique and be able to receive it well. Focus on your strengths and show confidence in your ability.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I've "quit" large open ended art tests before, it was basically a choice between doing a big 2 week test or the multiple smaller art tests from other studios.
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great post d1ver. I've failed a few art test over the years and have rarely gotten any feedback. It's nice to read where I've screwed up over the years. :)
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Yeea great advice indeed and artists need all the help they can get with this.. I feel a lot of compassion for artists going through this because a lot of the time they just pour over a test, 12-14 hours a day for the week or so they have to do it, getting nothing else done that pays the bills, doing nothing to get new work and at the end they get turned down because there were 10 other people doing the exact same thing.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for your input guys.

Justin, that just means you didn't want that particular job too much. You still ended up doing a bunch of test for 2 weeks or more only to get 1 position in the end and not get the others. Yet I'm always in favor of smaller tests(or a smart interview).
    And you're right, sometimes in order to get another job you might want to turn down one test in favor of another. Or a company that is capable of evaluating you without a test.

Thanks, TimSpanjer. I hope it helps. The trick is that I don't think the people checking your test would ever give you this kind of feedback. They would way more likely just compare your test to the successful ones and tell you the difference. But in the end people accepting your test want to be amazed as much, if not more, then your general audience. So give them just that feeding on previous experiences of others.

Amen to that Ryan.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not the biggest fan of art tests but I can see why they're important. However, it doesn't strike me as a fair deal when I pour 40 hours into an art test and the studio doesn't even acknowledge getting my email with the file (even after multiple phone interviews beforehand). They didn't even download the freaking file. Having a personal stat tracker on your site is handy for things like that. Being turned down is one thing, but not even downloading the file is another. If you request someone to work for 40 unpaid hours the least you could do is download the file. Things like that make me want to write off the studio of any future interest.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not the biggest fan of art tests but I can see why they're important. However, it doesn't strike me as a fair deal when I pour 40 hours into an art test and the studio doesn't even acknowledge getting my email with the file (even after multiple phone interviews beforehand). They didn't even download the freaking file. Having a personal stat tracker on your site is handy for things like that. Being turned down is one thing, but not even downloading the file is another. If you request someone to work for 40 unpaid hours the least you could do is download the file. Things like that make me want to write off the studio of any future interest.

I hear you and this is what I do. I have a special folder I make for each test on my ftp and I can track when, where and how many times it was accessed. I have seen a few never get touched. It really is frustrating.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice write up. Thanks!
    Can't believe some studios wouldn't even look at the test they gave. Grrr.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice write up.
    Karmageddon and Jesse Moody this is just horrible I can't believe they would not even download the tests. I use Google Analytics but I did not know you can track separate folders, files. Will have to look that up.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, Jami and Jesse, sorry to hear that. That's not even frustrating that's just plain shameless and cruel. Makes me wonder how many of my tests were never touched.
    Maybe we should write them off? As an artist I would greatly appreciate a list of how much trouble artists had with this or that company. To know if it's worth committing to an art test. Not even opening a test sounds like a deal breaker and I'd like to know about cases like this.

I mean I hate to sound jaded, but at places there is just little to none responsibility for companies or recruiters wasting peoples time like that.

I personally know of recruiters who just forget to follow-up to people when they should. Stories like that go around and your buddies warn you but it's never public. Nobody likes to be a whistle blower in this industry.

If we make a wiki page anonymously describing peoples experiences, both good and bad, with art tests for different companies would it be too inappropriate?
    Because some companies are actually nice with their art tests and give you some proper feedback and stuff like that. This is something worth knowing too.

We could also make a tutorial on how to track whether your test has been downloaded so everyone can make sure their stuff was.

Anyway thanks a lot for your input guys and gals. I'm glad you also found the write-up useful.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have seen a few never get touched. It really is frustrating.

Yeap. I have not done many art tests but more than one of mine have never been downloaded.

One place asked me to do an art test then the HR person went on vacation over the deadline. This caused my submission to be "late" and not considered.

I have to say I am a bit jaded as well.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I totally agree, I've been burned by this as well! Gets really frustrating when you've spent ages on an art test, sent it over and then you call up a week or 2 later for the recruitment person you spoke with to say "Sorry, have we spoken before?", or even more of a stupid response, "Are you calling about the art job advertised?"

"Nooo, no, what actually happened was... I looked up at the heavens, God poked his beardy face out of the clouds and pointed at me, uttering the words "Call this studio, they may have a job going..."