Home General Discussion

Indie Game Pre-Production Help

Hello Polycount, i'm going to start my first indie game (to be sold) soon and I'm looking for a bit of insight. I've been dawdling with 3d art and game development for about 2 years with only one menial game under my belt. However, I think it's time for me to start a fun game that I can actually finish, polish, and sell by next year when I go to college. So here's what I'm confused about... If you have any other advice, please share, because I can't ask all my questions here, just a few big ones that I've had for years.

Question 1 - Game Proposal
What are the steps one would take to plan and design a game... How do you put a game proposal on paper and how can that proposal be organized into simple tasks for production? I'm wondering this because, while I may lack creativity in this type of planning, I have a friend who i feel would do a wonderful job at a proposal but I don't think he would know the most efficient way to write one.

Question 2 - Creating a team
How does one create an Indie team online? I'm not the best developer, but if i want to create a game, who should i recruit and how many people? I would feel bad if I got some pro developers and the game turned out to be a bust because of me. On the other hand, I do have some experience and wouldn't want the rest of the team to suck.

Question 3 - Tools and Collaboration
I currently have the most experience in Unity and If I make a game it would be with this engine. How is work assigned and how is the game assembled from the assets created. Do coders write scripts on their own or do they need the unity engine with the game on it? Or do they need the art assets involved with the script, so they can create a unity package and send it to me for assembly? Any general help with this topic would be nice.

Those are my three main questions but I will use any advice at all. As you can see I desperately need some help if I want to make this real. Thanks for reading.

Other topics?:
-copyright and legal
-publishing with apple ios and xbox marketplace
-creating a fan base before first release
-general marketing techniques
-Funding (when and why it takes place)
-Marketing Research when proposing a game (target specific audience early on?)

tldr: I want to make an indie game, I need some insight and direction :)

Replies

• Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel you are approaching this from wrong angle. Why would anyone care about your written proposal and production plan?

Make a basic working demo for your game that shows promise and ask help to polish & finish it after you have something to show, only this way you can interest some quality people and hope for their help, be it art or programming.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Here are some good examples of solid solo indie game efforts. I would play most of these guys' games so that you can re-scope your expectations of what successful indie game devs do and how they do it:

http://distractionware.com/blog/

http://cactusquid.blogspot.com/2010/08/cactus-arcade-20.html

http://www.increpare.com/
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    What do you intend to contribute to the development process?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Sandro wrote: »
    I feel you are approaching this from wrong angle. Why would anyone care about your written proposal and production plan?

What? That is all important stuff. You don't just jump in and start modelling stuff, planning is essential, even if it's just to get your own head straight.
  • ZASkaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might think twice about the idea of getting a team together. If you're definitely planning on selling the thing then things can get complicated when it comes to splitting up potential revenue.

The best advice I think would be to either scale back your plans such that you can finish this game solo or come up with money to pay people from the start.

If you're set on a team then you should get a solid prototype together.

What I've never seen happen is a person gather a team on nothing more than a concept.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas

You can't plan something you don't know. You can plan to learn that thing and maybe gather tutorials, but learning itself happens only when you actually jump in and get your hands dirty.

If I knew nothing about modeling would you advice me to write a lengthy plan about how I'll make complete enviro or just sit down and make a simple table or whatever I manage so that I can wrap my head around software and modeling process?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas

You can't plan something you don't know.

You plan to find out.

Game docs always get done at the beginning, then change as prototyping dictates what work and doesn't work. But a lot of word processing comes first. Game design 101.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not sure about that.

I've heard pretty successful indie developers stressing importance of experimentation and prototyping from early on as well as fluid/iterative design process, not to say anything about various short indie game jams.

I've yet to see one advocating 'lots of word processing' that isn't a code though.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not sure about that.

An architect/engineer draws up blueprints before they build a house/boat/plane/whatever.

A chef makes a menu and a list of ingredients before cooking a meal.

If you're making a film, you don't grab a camera and start filming, the preceeding writing process can be quite long (frequently longer than production).

If you're writing a book it is generally advised to plan it first.

etc. etc.

If you're a one man indie, grand (though I still recommend writing docs; it sure helped me when I made a prototype) but if you have a team, as the OP is aiming for, it's critical to get your ideas down in a doc so everyone is...excuse the pun, on the same page.
  • Ben Apuna
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    A few things you should check off:

A Designer; you'll need one. I don't mean to offend, but generally artists are good at making something pretty stuff, but not good for 10 minutes of good play time. I've seen this many times, a 'vision of gameplay' that is divided into seconds-long segments, and they try to make the gameplay fit around a couple of 5-second 'set pieces'. This doesn't work, if you can't imagine yourself having fun in one continuous 5 minute straight play session - without skipping ahead to different bits - you're doing everything wrong.

A Programmer, you'll also need one of those, or at the very very least some readily available help for scripting and so on. Unity has a good community, and Unity Answers WILL save your life 100 times all day, every day, but you'll still need a fair bit of help.

Sandro, the phrase you're looking for is 'test early, test often', with 'test' being interchangeable with 'build', 'prototype', etc.

Scope it out, then make sure it's good enough that if you were forced to cut two thirds out of it, it'd still be functional and fun. Scope now too small? Then you've got a boring mechanic.

For getting freelancers and outside help, it can usually be as simple as providing some concept or idea (like a certain asset), and they'll send you a unitypackage. If that works, then give them a copy of the project folder if they need it (which they might, they may need to know scale, camera positions, image effects, etc etc etc). Generally if the first asset 'test' goes well, and they seem nice, then it's smooth sailing. Paypal will work for payment 90% of the time for small indie Unity projects like this.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those are some fantastic links Ben nice one.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas

Well, that's one way of making stuff, it's well proven and pretty orthodox :) But it's not the only way, especially when it comes to independent stuff, be it films, games or whatever it might be.

I definitely agree that when it comes to teamwork communication is a must and you do need some docs to accomplish that, but I'd still abstain from rigid 'design doc' as such. More like something describing overall vision and direction.

Especially nowadays with tools such as unity, construct, various flash libraries and readily available game engines you can come up with rough prototype in a week. I'm sure it will be nice foundation and communicate essence of gameplay lot faster and better than 120 page document.

Anyways, that's just my opinion and way I'd approach pre-production of indie game.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I don't personally find writing in pre-production to be useful.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    The problem with writing in pre-production is that if you've got minimal experience and no team then it's likely to just remain writing. If you're trying to get people to work with you (likely for free) who don't already know you - well then you're going to have to have more than just an idea on paper. until you can see it (and play it) at least at some level it's just words. you're just an idea guy at that point. not many of those ever actually produce anything unless they've got connections and a network.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You should start out small - start making games that you can finish in the same amount of time it would take you to write out an in depth proposal. Don't fall into the hole of analysis paralysis.

as far as teams - big teams are a mess, I'm speaking from experience. If you need a team I'd suggest finding 1 person who can fill your knowledge gaps.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Well there's alot of things you need to know/experienced before jumping straight in and hoping to figure it out on the way.

There's more to games than 3D Art, Coding, UDK lol.

Just because you have those 3 doesn't mean you'l know how to manage people or how to plan assets/tasks for a production pipeline, there's all this other junk you're going to need to know before hand. And then there's the Finance, PR, legal junk, QA.

But tbh if you have a second job funding you through it, then you've all the time in the world to play with things.

Good luck with it dude :)
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    Found this the other day, it's a pretty good read with alot of great info.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26577/Opinion_Indie_Game_Design_Dos_and_Donts_A_Manifesto.php#.UOSioW_CZ8F

Personally a game design doc feels pretty useless for an indie project imo. Most indie games are more or less simple ideas taken to extremes. At their core they're pretty basic.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    While making my game I instantly started prototyping and find this the best way because you get to shave off all the fat and crap that isnt useful and not fun. Then you can make a design document which will flush out all the details and things you need to keep track of to actually make the game. The best way to learn game development is by jumping in and doing it, dont think about it too much. Save the art for much later in the process once you start having a prototype and design doc coming together.

I have a development blog on the process I used to make my game, you can check it out here, it might help a bit. Though I am just one person making my game, I'm not using a team: http://macattackk.weebly.com/fractal-reality-dev-blog.html
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Paznos wrote: »
    Personally a game design doc feels pretty useless for an indie project imo. Most indie games are more or less simple ideas taken to extremes. At their core they're pretty basic.

It's probably worth it just to have it out of your head, you'll realise that at least one of your totally awesome and sweet as fuck ideas is actually kind of stupid
  • walkerion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone, this is why i love polycount :)

As for the game document, I feel it's important because it probably won't be me who will come up with the great ideas. I think i need to play more games before I can design something that I would spend hours playing. One of my more innovative and intelligent friends is interested in planning out a game and I'd like to give him the chance to come up with a good idea based on a simple concept of mine. And the best way for him to present the game to me would be through writing. He can write really well so i'm not worried about vague descriptions or confusing ideas. However, I don't mean for the initial design to be so important, only enough to start me off in the right direction.

Yes, I will create a prototype before I recruit. Now that I've got some good experience with Unity scripting, I could probably make a quick prototype after I get some design plans.

If I make this, I will be contributing to the art and coding but I feel like I'm missing some important roles in the development process. I can code but it seems amateur and sloppy. I don't know how important that is for game development, but I feel I would need a more experienced coder to do this. But I do have enough coding knowledge for a prototype.

Thanks so much for all the help and links. I will spend tonight going through all the links and get some good tutorials before I actually start to create a game.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Prototype, prototype, prototype. Only once you can play and evaluate the game as a game do you know if it's actually fun or not.

Absolutely.

I usually prototype (even if it's in paper with cut out bits and bobs) everything before thinking about people and tools.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I think the people in this thread that are arguing what goes first and what goes last are arguing because they've incorrectly been taught the waterfall model:

Waterfall_model.png

Making games is not a straight path. It's cyclical. You get an idea, write it down in like 10 sentences to communicate your idea to others, make a quick prototype, then write on how to improve shit, and make another prototype.

2200090405004.png

"I can code but it seems amateur and sloppy."
    This is good. Well not that it's sloppy, but that you can visualize your idea, and that you have a rough understanding what may or may not be possible.

You haven't answered my question, but from what I read you want to be a designer and managerial. In which case it's important to know a bit about every skillset in the industry, as you will largely function as a communication hub and a translator for the different development areas. Artists rarely talk code, and viceversa, so you need to interpret what artists need coders to do and then effectively communicate that.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andreas:

I'm glad you liked them :)

@ambershee:

Yeah paper is where it's at! Anything to iterate faster is a good thing. Make use of paper prototypes before coding something whenever possible. If it's not fun in paper form, it's not going to be any more fun in digital.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I always found writing a concept down very helpful, also if its just for me, its then much easier to evaluate how different mechanics work together, how controls work, getting ideas on how to achieve different things etc. A prototype is then the next step, when you have written something down before you will end up with a much more solid prototype and do less mistakes while creating it.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    1. Formulate a high level concept of the game, this is essentially a presentation that defines the game to anyone who is interested, its essentially a pitch. But its also used to keep everyone focused on the same game.

2. Begin to get all your development pipeline in order, what engine? what source control? build process?

3. Now start to prototype your high level concept and explore the possibilities, lots of whitebox, hacking and messing around. Find the core gameplay of your game as early as possible!

4. Once your gameplay is very loosely defined begin to shape your art, design, code and animation direction around it. Design breaks of to explore mechanics and push core gameplay further. Art formulates an art direction that works with the core values of the project and the already defined core gameplay, level ideas are pitched and explored and very early whiteboxing is explored. Animation lays the principles for the projects demands while story and cinematic direction are explored.

5. You begin to come to the end of your pre production and you have.
    - Defined high level concept (pitch)
    - Art direction
    - Story and level direction to help define roughly your experience from start to finish.
    - Playable and enjoyable early core gameplay
    - Early building blocks of mechsnics
    - Demo level containing core gameplay
    - Early whitebox levels

Well that was a quick ramble in the hope it might help, I think I probably missed a lot of stuff. But hopefully the thread and other feedback will help fill in the blanks.

EDIT: Also just to add, I think its very important to not define the inner workings of your game without actually producing it and testing it. I personally feel that the high level pitch helps jell everyone together towards the same goals. But ultimately leaves a large amount of creativity for the team to define the game. You get a lot of indy/mod teams that make these massive documents that define everything and then without even doing pre production they jump straight into production. Its like completely the opposite to a creative process and I feel its why so many mods/indy games fail.