Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Floating City Environment

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I decided to finally try and take advantage of my winter break and get working on a environment. I've been wanting to create something like this for quite a long time. I am trying to mix in sci-fi/victorian/fantasy together . My goalfor this environment is to push myself and rely on my own creativity/start working from my own concepts and ideas.

I plan on making a floating city with a market, houses, political buildings, parks, ect. I want to do it in small increments and take my time, so I am unsure how large this city will end up being lol.

There are some glitches and things I have the clean up but here is my start!

8328287108_ee7854803f_h.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Replies

• mikhga
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really good so far, and I am looking forward to seeing this evolve. However, at first glance, I feel the facade of the buildings is a little too "blocky" and could use some more soft shapes, I feel like the blocky shapes work better on the street.

Otherwise looking really promising!
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Can't wait to see some more!!
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both!

Here is a update:

8333305147_b131beb16c_h.jpg

8334369280_51e707fe17_h.jpg
  • Daft.Eng
    This is looking great, although there's something troubling me about the clouds, they just make it seem like you've taken the easy way out by not having to model what's below.I think it might be an idea to consider how the city is floating and get rid of the thick clouds. But maybe have some thin clouds leading to thicker clouds lower down, so you can't see the world below.
    This would also give you the opportunity to extend the banners dangling from the edges, which I think could look pretty cool.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Daft.Eng wrote: »
    This is looking great, although there's something troubling me about the clouds, they just make it seem like you've taken the easy way out by not having to model what's below.I think it might be an idea to consider how the city is floating and get rid of the thick clouds.
    This would also give you the opportunity to extend the banners dangling from the edges, which I think could look pretty cool.

+1 to every word typed ^ I also agree with an earlier crit about how its super blocky. Just because you are using modular pieces to build the env. doesnt mean you cant use rounded modular pieces :) I also think there is just SO much noise and repetitiveness, the piece is lacking a resting point. Possibly in the center where the door is, you could do a smooth stone wall or something of the sort, as well as some circular columns and less noisy wall pieces. Break up the same modular pieces, it just looks like you were given one wall, one window, and one door and told to make a giant building :p

Not meaning to bag, just simply stating what I see in hopes of helping. goodluck, and as a whole, its pretty awesome. Though the critiques I listed are a couple of minor things that bug me at the moment :0
  • Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Really I'm loving this! I just have one major irk not adressed by the people above. My problem is the roof, I just can't honestly tell exactly what it is. They look like they could be tiles but I just can't tell. I think on the roof you could also make use of all that space and have some color variation other than grey. Also maybe you could help definition of the roof by either adding teselation or some extra Verts sticking out in places to break up the flat plane of the roof. Looking good and can't wait to see what comes of this environment.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    it doesnt look like its floating because there are no holes in the clouds where u can see land/ocean/planet bellow.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, atm it looks more like somebody chucked a smoke grende at the bottom :P

Make a few holes in the clouds there, and show some irregular ends to the bottom of that stone work, give it some nice volume.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    i like where this is going reminds me of the new Bioshock game that's coming out
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the great suggestions and crits guys, I will totally try and implement them as I go along, hopefully I made things better, I took the smoke grenade clouds away :P hopefully these are better, I also changed the roof up. In terms of the blockiness I'll try and find some way to break that up and make it less. Keep the suggestions coming!

8335956382_a66cc9489f_h.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I am going to start working on other buildings and things around now and the start is the water tower, still working on it.

8340460969_43300f78cc_h.jpg

8341522834_0975ab8df2_b.jpg
  • achillesian
    this is dope. that is all.
  • reaxion
    Offline / Send Message
    reaxion polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet. imo Balancing this out with alot of greens (bigger bushes/shrubs/grass/woodz) like you have here will really push this. Also stated above the roofs ; my eyes want to see some trim on the very tops, some detail.

The textures read quite nice from so far away.

I commented on this in WAYWO and tracked this back here, off to a good start
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    that is a really nice building.
    Can we see the modular building sets on their own? assuming it is modular haha
  • urgaffel
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    reaxion wrote: »
    Also stated above the roofs ; my eyes want to see some trim on the very tops, some detail.

+1 :)

Nice feel to this, will be fun to see how it develops!
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    It's looking really good. Now the foreground clouds are getting really distracting away and they are taking away the attention from the city. Maybe reduce the detail on the clouds or something.

I like your approach of the floating city.

cheers!
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I tried to implement as much as I could, haven't had too much time to work on this, hopefully this is better. @ Cordell, I surely will as soon as I can :) I am thinking of adding some hot air balloons , ect but I might just move to other architecture.

8363687976_e43ad6fdba_h.jpg
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    aajohnny Your work never stops to amaze me, its always at its peek over and over again, Goooood! joooob!

and its only a wip, i wish my pholio was 1/3 of your talent

:D
  • PhoenixWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    :D ..keep up the good work
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Stop being lazy ;)!, make every other floor of that mansion thing look a bit different from the rest. It's really messing up the beauty of it to have all that repeating in there. You could easily create some kind of balcony model to place on the building plus have certain areas that have bigger windows etc etc.

Other than that, good work so far man, looking forward to the rest!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I liked the first version of the building better, right now it is way too visually noisy and repetitive.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I like everything but the clouds. They look really weird. But I guess it's pretty hard to make good looking volumetric clouds. I remember CE2 had some great ones.

Anyways, good work!
  • Kel-Shaded
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    The dense clouds are nice, they're stylised.
    I think on the later shots where the clouds are more sparse they may be a little too opaque
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys, a lot of work to be done!

I tried to change up the building a bit hopefully its better?

8364728893_1d49187475_h.jpg
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think this will be a good read for you for the building in particular.

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/Building_Layout_Guideline_Tutorial.html

Good work so far though man!