Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Rifle Project

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
KMNettelbladt polycounter lvl 8
So the last 3 weeks i have been working halftime on a highpoly for a sniper-rifle, based on my own concept. During the 3 coming weeks I will Texture it and possibly animate it.

So I was thinking that I would give it some urban camouflage textures with a digital pattern.
Any feedback is appreciated.

helioslongbow5.jpg

helioslongbow6.jpg

helioslongbow4.jpg

helioslongbow7.jpg

helioslongbow12.jpg

Replies

• SPYFF
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice design, i like the bipod specially!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    Removable barrel extension, collapsable stock, this is a wildly intelligent design. This really reminds me of the modular sniper rifles everyone's trying to get contracted with, but with an obvious sci-fi design. Looking forward to more
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    heheeh nice
    reminds me of an Nerf gun... Cool
  • AnotherGuyNamedEvan
    Offline / Send Message
    AnotherGuyNamedEvan polycounter lvl 9
    This is really nice, I really like the modular design.
  • djoexe
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe polycounter lvl 7
    The design is just simply freaking amazing, LOVE thoses shapes and feel. A+++
    Would like to see a damaged paint texture on it. Sci-fi gun tends to be too clean...impress me :D
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/<a href=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/longbowbake1.jpg/ target=_blank>[/img]longbowbake1.jpg So I have now finished the lowpoly and are currently baking normals.
    And getting loads of artifacts, of cause.

Not sure if I should post problems here or if I should move them to the technical talks.

longbowbake1.jpg

The problem areas:
    longbowbake3.jpg

longbowbake2.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'm no pro but speaking personally, I like to break the model into individual pieces and bake the normals out on three separate passes, usually depending on levels of intricacies. Obviously, I bake the occlusion out when it's all together.

I can tall the normals were baked with the model combined and perhaps some of the problem lies in that the cage was too large and dwarfed some of your minute details?

Also I've found that in maya, I'm never happy with my occlusion bakes and always get terrible seams like what you're showing. The occlusion on each individual UV shell is always a bit too small and creates black seams on the border edges. xNormal has been good to me though.

I've gotten some of your diagonal artifacts from things like overlapping UV shells. How many of those shells that are creating the artifacts are overlapping?
  • Dilkesy
    Really nice work, really like the style and the sci-fi design of this weapon
  • throttlekitty
    Great design!

For your baking issues, read through the stickied normals topic in Tech Talk. For the most part, hard edges along the 90 degree angles + UV splits + UV gutter space/padding will fix you up.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the help guys, though a bit late. I solved most of my problems by switching baking program to Maya. (I was using Xnormals)
    I had heard that maya and xnormals used diffrent techniques whith cages, I think that is what resulted in those double edges.
    I don't have any screens to show right now though.

Oh! and of cause I allso switched from baking in maya 2013 to 2012, wich at the moment seem a lot more stable.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    So. Now I'm done with the textures, perhaps I should have updated my progress more.
    So here are some final renders, rendered in mayas viewport 2.0.

helios22.jpg

helios2.jpg

helios25.jpg

helios3.jpg

If you have any feedback or critique to give on the texture. Please do so.
    f
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome! I would really love to see that close-up shot without the blur applied though.

What references were you using for the textures? This rifle looks like it has seen zero hours in the field in most areas, and then we can see some wear on the decals on the magazine. It feels a little inconsistent. It looks like you may still be having shading errors on the rails.

Can we also get a close-up of the grip? Looks cool! I love all the little touches you've added. The digital round counter on the magazine is sweet. The forms for the bipod are sexy. Really love this piece!
  • Bertmac
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    I think it still looks like a toy gun. probably something to do with the spec map. i really don't see any material difference.

Could you show some textures please
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a little late on an answer now but I'm gonna put up some more renders soon.

I ran into some problems working on scratches and wear, and my time ran out, so I had to go with what I had on that front.
    Do any of you have any good techniques for dealing with scratches along uv-edges?
    And I had some trouble with the material feel also. I tried to get a "painted metal" look on the digital pattern. Do you think I should increase or lower the ammount of specular for this effect?

Thanks for all the feedback.
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Mikael (Adam here :D) Still think you should try doing the scratches realtime with mudbox, can give you a really good base with barely any effort. Or try doing a dDO-pas over it and see what you get :)
  • fragfest2012
    That looks so great! Is this a game-ready asset or no?
  • Darkmaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Loving this!! Great work!!
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I picked up this project again, after some time.
    I decided to remake the textures, so I polished the high and low-poly models and baked new normal and ambient maps.

I also decided to change the colorscheme as well. And so I wonder what you guys think of the new colors.

heliosretex.jpg

heliosretex2.jpg

heliosbasetexture.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    I like the new color scheme well enough. I'm really glad you picked this back up. Keep going!
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    You've got a great color scheme going, but push that specular! The green areas are reading like a toy plastic and your metal areas don't read like metal. I'm assuming this is supposed to be some sort of half polymer half metal combination? If so, look at different hard plastic materials and the kind of noise they will have on them. Same thing with the metal, go out and find firearm pictures with similar materials or materials as close to those as you imagined. If you're in the US find a gun shop near you and take a look at a lot of the different firearms that are a mix of composites and metals.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you. Yeah, I have had a lot of trouble getting the materials right, I'm also trying to figure out what shader to use. Unfortunately (or fortunatley perhaps) I have no access to real life references, but I will keep hammering on the materials and see where it gets me.
  • nukes
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    Hey man great work
    I personally don't like the digital camo texture as i feel it adds to much noise to
    the model. A 2-3 tone color scheme should be enough to sell it well. I like it more clean.
    Cheers.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    So. I added quite the bit of grunge to the texture, I feel it might be a bit too much right now so i think i will tone it down some more.
    Also I still feel i can't get the material to feel correct. It would be great if i had real life references instead of photos, but that is of no matter.

I am also starting to wonder if the texture is too low res. I am currently using a 2k texture, I don't want to go up to 4k. I guess I could have optimized the uv's better.

heliosretex4.jpg

heliosretex3.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Show us your spec map. I think right now the biggest problem is the evenness of your specular. There should be places it is cut out, and places where it is shinier.
  • HAL
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I second that.
    In addition you should take a look at how you create and how distribute the wear. At the moment it looks a bit random.

I dont think that a 2k map is too low res. On the other hand your Uv looks ok. Do you use a compression for your normal maps? they look blurry/wobbly.

Regarding Material definition. Think about how the surface could be defined.
    is it some kind of plastic? Is there a rubberized surface to make it easier to grab? microdetails like noise in the plastics surface? those could break up the material surface as well and ease the specular on the hard plastic parts (I guess its plastic).

You could also add nice wear to a surface like that, wear would appear like the surface has beeen polished in those areas.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's my specular.
    I haven't worked through all parts of it yet but.

heliosspecular.jpg

Should it have more contrast?
  • joshmtyler
    Offline / Send Message
    joshmtyler polycounter lvl 5
    So here's my specular.
    I haven't worked through all parts of it yet but.

heliosspecular.jpg

Should it have more contrast?

Yes!!! Contrast that sucker.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    So, after a lot of tweaking I may have gotten the materials closer to where I wanted them, I also switched shader to Koddeshader. And the amount of grunge is significantly lower.

heliosretex3.jpg

heliosretex4.jpg

And the specular:

heliosspecular.jpg

I guess it still needs more scratches to make it more interesting, and the metal could use a bit more love.
  • KMNettelbladt
    Offline / Send Message
    I also attempted making a texture with ddo.

heliosretex5.jpg

heliosretex6.jpg

It's a powerfull tool, but I guess I still need to tweak the results a lot.
    I don't think I will use these textures, maybe I will use more ddo with my next project.