Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Linda Fyen

Hi! I'm Linda Fyen, a Game Art student at The Game Assembly in Malmö, Sweden.
This is my sketchbook. Feedback is more than welcome!

Enjoy! :)

Replies

• Mindinart
  • Pisciel
    Thank you Mindinart ^^

To start off, I'll post a somewhat older piece. This was a study task done in the beginning of our course at school. A practice drawing of John Asaro's "Planes of the Head". Since it was a time limited task, I didn't finish the stamp on the back along with other minor details. Might finish it off properly later.

569_max.jpg
  • Pisciel
    And here are some space ships! First try making them digitally after obsessively sketching them with marker and pen. I'm quite happy with them although I see many things that can improve. I learned a lot and make them better each time!

tumblr_mbsvqpQLrt1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • Pisciel
    Toadigator! A creature concept I made for a personal project. I plan to take him further and do a 3D model of him in Maya, both a high and low poly model.

tumblr_md89koWd491qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • Pisciel
    A doodle I did of some sci-fi suit thingy. Starting to get more interesting in taking it further to see where it goes. Mostly practice for now though.

tumblr_mdfvvli55I1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • Pisciel
    A few sketches I've done recently.

tumblr_md51njahOo1qaj68vo1_r1_400.jpg

tumblr_mdsimeydfq1qaj68vo1_500.jpg
  • aaron2
    Looks amazing...Welcome :)
  • Pisciel
    @aaron2
    Thank you!

Further work on my toadigator. Threw some colors on it, took the concept a little further and refined some parts using the reference pictures included. It’s a scavenger and thus eats dead things. When there are no dead things around, it gathers berries with its little arms. On ground, it goes flat for protection, and in water it inflates its belly to float upside down, exposing the spikes down into the water. The red belly is also a mating sign and is soft like a salamander’s. Everything else is thicker and bumpier and the spikes hurt, ouch!

Now to 3D model it!

tumblr_me56oo0MeF1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • Pisciel
    Currently working on modelling the previous creature concept. I did a high poly first (that I haven't finished) and then proceeded to clean it up after feedback to make a low-poly. This is the outcome. It is currently UV mapped and my next step is to texture it.

tumblr_mekiun6Aa21qaj68vo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • Esbjörn Nord
    Offline / Send Message
    Esbjörn Nord polycounter lvl 6
    really cool creature, i'm looking forward to see the finished result! :)
  • Pisciel
    Been busy being awfully sick, and our second and latest assignment at school. Our task was to make an FPS weapon of choice, fictional or not. We were limited by at most 3000 tris and a 1024 diffuse, normal and specular map. I did a Luger P08 and it was quite a challenge. Never normal mapped before, so that one crapped out on me. The map was baked from a high poly version. I was short on time and fixed major problems by hand in Photoshop and moved on to texture it during the last few hours. All in all, I'm quite happy with the outcome.

tumblr_mfebeyC4AW1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • eMotive11
    pretty nice work on the gun! Makes me really want to see that creature with some textures on it :D
  • Pisciel
    Thank you!
    I have yet to get any further with the toad since I had trouble figuring out how to texture. Never done it before so I put the project on pause until I knew how to do it easy, quick and good. Now that I've learned more about texturing, I'll continue to finish it :)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Always nice to see TGA students here.

Dig that Asaro study, more from a rendering point of view though. There's some big readability issues with your space-ship concepts. Before reading the description I couldn't make out what they where.

Really like the manga style face. Wanna see more of that in a refined state. The full body character is pretty nice but stagnates further down to the feet. Feet placement is very important so you'd want to look closer into that.

What will be your focus for your studies, 2d or 3d, characters or other assets?
  • Pisciel
    Thank you!
    I haven't tried my hand on spaceships since that time but will try to make them more... Spaceshipey. I have never done any mechanical things before I started on TGA but I hope to improve on them :)

I do agree the feet feel a bit weird, I have changed the pose of them completely as I worked a bit further with it, but I'm not sure if I have time or want to finish the image. We'll see.

I always wanted to become a character artist since I was small, but I'm not sure anymore. I am open to many possibilities right now, whether it be concepting, illustration or 3D. My focus lies on 3D right now since that's our current course at school. For now, I plan to take in as much as I can from both 2D and 3D and then see what I find most interesting so I can branch out to what I really want to do once I figure that out.
  • Pisciel
    Finished our first school task over Christmas as a complement since I was sick during that week.

The task was to make a low-poly character for a fictional game, or that could fit in an existing game or concept for a handheld platform. I thought up a quick game concept for Nintendo DS where you play as a cute necromancer in a strategy/adventure. To get through enemies, you summon minions and customize him with different weapons and pieces of armor that boost specific stats.

We had four days in total. Our tris limit was 500 tris and a 128x128 color map with 1-bit alpha. I finished the props completely along with his model and rigg with two days to spare. I properly textured him the last day and set up some poses for him to use in my presentation.

tumblr_mfyijjezIH1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • Pisciel
    Our third task in our 3D course at TGA. Modular building of a (old) restaurant in Malmö. We used photos of the building for textures and reference to replicate it in 3D. 3 weeks in total, half time. I think I just about squeezed it in two weeks time since I started on it a week late. We were limited by at most 4500 tris and had to include a 1024x1024 diffuse, normal, and specular map, and a 512x512 cube and AO map. Super fun to make everything tile properly and build it up. The seams in the pic don't exist, it's the shader's fault :I

tumblr_mhbs3dfdyG1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • noniol
    Offline / Send Message
    noniol polycounter lvl 6
    Nice progress! :D
  • W1r3d
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Nice stuff. I really like the necromancer and the luger :)
    Keep it up! :D
  • Pisciel
  • pixelb
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    That necromancer's adorable. Do you think you'll do more low-poly stuff in the future?
  • Pisciel
    pixelb
    Thank you!
    I really like low-poly modeling and texturing, so I'm pretty sure I will be working on more of that in the future as a personal project when I have time :)
  • Pisciel
    New class started: Concept art and Texturing.
    Our first task was to make something technical, sketch it up and use photos to build the texture and shape. I wanted to make some kind of cute and lumpy mech. I started by dishing out the top thumbs. Some kind of tank bot, and a medic bot. The medibot is loaded with a container full of bandages. It cannons the rolls out, hits you in the head, and lowers blood pressure by knocking you out, then wraps you up and drags you off to the med tent like a spider catching a fly. It probably does more damage than good...

In the bottom ones, I simply dished out pieces of a military car to get the texture going.

tumblr_mih2eo7lhC1qaj68vo1_r1_1280.jpg
  • Callesw
    hah, those are cool!
  • SolCommand
    I really like that mech at the bottom right.
    Keep it up.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Cute mechs. You need to push the values a bit for the shapes to read better. A bit flat atm. If they're mostly bare metal you can push the contrast quite a bit the the reflections.
  • Pisciel
    Thank you all!

AimBiZ
    Thanks! I threw them together in the last half hour so I didn't have much time to play with it. But I see what you mean. Something is lacking, and I'll try working around it next time :)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear you on that although it's irrelevant to a viewer. We just see the "final" product for what it is. It's better you spend some more time after the assignment if you feel it would improve the piece.
  • Pisciel
    Very true :)
    I'll take it to mind when working on future pieces. Thank a lot for the continuous feedback!
  • Pisciel
    Simon Lindwall from IO Interactive visited our class to teach us about photo bashing and how to use it for time efficient concepting. We had a one day workshop with him and could choose to make a character or environment. Since I’ve pretty much never done environments before, I wanted to step out of my comfort zone. So I threw together a desert scape with a modern city built between mountains. It was very hard to get the hang of it, but I slowly got into the workflow and turned to really like it. Definitely something I will work much more with!

(And for copyright reasons, I do not own any photos used in the image. Photos (c) to the photographers and their corresponding sites.)

tumblr_mirxunQO0R1qaj68vo1_1280.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    That came out pretty good. Got two crits though, just for general consideration.
    I get the impression this view is supposed to be pretty epic, a city placed in a vast desert landscape. A wider composition would suit this purpose better as I get the impression of tightness rather than openness.
    The city needs more contrast to stand out as a focal point. The biggest contrast seems to be at the top left of the image which I feel my eye being drawn constantly, which is also empowered by the colour contrast of blue and orange.
    Colour contrast is a powerful tool. Some blue on the city would make it pop instantly I think.

Nice sense of mood though. Balanced and not over the top.