Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chew Magna Fortress, UDK

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    wow, great work! :) I'll just sit back and enjoy the show!
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    Jess, this is coming out really good so far. My only suggestion would be to add a little bit of cool colors to your textures. I see you have a lot of warm colors, I think adding a hint of cool colors would make your textures and environment pop a bit more.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Synyster, choco, Hazardous, Hoodz, Hayden, fightpunch, claytonbarton, Rick, Chris - Thanks for the kind words everyone :) !

Kyuuu, Christian - Oh, yeah, I totally see about the roots - they could use some more love haha. I think i'll make the roots separate meshes actually, so I can place them however I want around the trees. Then I can have trees on the cliffs too, with roots angling downward.

lamar - Thanks for pointing that out - I shall work on it :)

Metall - Thank you! :] Yeah, I know there's so much more to do haha! Gotta do itt x] bit by bit

joebount - You are the second person to tell me so, so I will see what I can do about fixing the leaf scale. Once I optimize the trunk, which has many hidden faces atm, I can probably scale all the leaves down a bit and add some more. Thanks for the critique :]

Here's what I'm doing with the cliffs right now (max renders):

nzyw3.png

And some updated shots from UDK, trying to figure out lighting and stuff:

HJ4Bs.png

iSDV3.png

kX3Jy.png

Critique and comments welcome. This week I will be painting some stone brick textures for the castle (model of which is not done yet!!! Gotta fix it up soon haha.)
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    How in the blazes are you doing those stunningly beautiful cliff rocks?
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really not digging the cliffs. The "chunks" just seem too scaled down. In World of Warcraft and other games I don't think they would have that dense of detail. It just seems very noisy, and even if you plan to break it up, it will still be noisy. Just my opinion though, we'll see how it looks once everything else comes together :P
  • EiGHT
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    =_____=

So..good.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I agree, it comes off a bit noisy but that's partially because there's nothing really in the scene yet. I feel like the larger flat areas look pretty good though - Like this area.

things.jpg
  • benji
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome Jessica! I agree that the cliff could become noisy with that kind of detail, but in clusters it could work. Reminds me of basalt pillars - scattered amongst flatter rock forms it could look pretty cool.

Small crit on the scaling/composition, the huge tower at the back is creating a bit of a scale conflict to my eyes. Perhaps if some of the smaller forms at the front were repeated or combined with the large tower it would give a clearer indication of scale? :)
  • Orangeknight
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    That cliff is looking awesome! Only suggestion is to make the more flat non-"cliffy" parts a little more like dirt and rubble. Maybe you could have 2 different tiling textures on a 2048x1024 or maybe even vertex paint to get a nice blend.

2012-11-08_1449.png
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    I've not said this yet.... but damn this is going to be good. Already looks ACE!

more please.
  • Kyuuu
    The cliff is great but the larger non-"cliffy" parts look weird to me. I'd second Orangeknight's suggestion of making the non-"cliffy" more like dirt and rubble and maybe making the "cliff" parts bigger.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Perhaps the parts selected by orangeknight could also be broken up by plants or other details?
  • Khaja
    Really awesome texture work. I love the way you took your original texture and adjusted it for your rock geometry. Big fan of your style :D
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    The cliffs texture is working great I think on your modeled rocks, but not so much on the flatter parts... I think it's because your rock objects are so nice and sharp and chiseled and the bigger areas are more blobby... which makes both feel a little disjointed. I think you could try to push the scale on some of your rocks so you get some bigger chunks in there to give eye relief. You also may want to make another rock model that is more of a "slab", something that would still have that chiseled look but create some nice hard/flat areas of eye relief. Ultimately I would try to replace the softer areas of cliff with something still hard edged and modeled, but still gives places of nice eye relief and steep falloffs like your getting now.

When I worked on Darksiders 2, we used only a few rock models, but would build entire cliffs and mountains out of them just by scaling and rotating them around, to create the look we wanted. You're doing that halfway now, but I think it will look better to do it one way or the other. Either big custom cliffs, or built with a few or several rock chunks. It's more "expensive" this way, but can be optimized afterwards, if you want. But then again, a lot of engines will handle a lot of tris these days, and this is a portfolio piece, so I would set the priority on presentation; optimization, second. Just some thoughts! Your stuff always looks great, so I'm not too worried. ;)

Can't wait to see more!
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Holy tits your 2d work is bitchin
  • Ganon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
    http://i.imgur.com/u8jYu.png
    http://i.imgur.com/sG8v6.png

This is just perfect, i lose my word. Your stuff is incredibly inspiring !!

Congrats :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog, Gannon, Orangeknight, Kyuuu, Bek - Awesome guys, thanks so much for the critique on my cliffs. I agree it's probably looking a bit noisy right now, and the cliffy parts need to be scaled up a good deal. I will keep the flat areas too, because I need some larger areas of rest, but I will fix them so they don't look all bulbous and blobby. When I add the texture blending of moss and dirt, it should all come together a bit better, and there will also be a lot of plants/vegetation sitting on the currently blank top planes, as Bek mentioned. On to fixing :D

benji - I will do something to fix the scale of the back tower. Some things back there are scaled up to compensate for the extreme FOV, but perhaps I overcompensated. Thanks for pointing it out:]

Owl - Thanks for such an in-depth explanation! That really helps. Also, I had no idea you worked on Darksiders 2 . . . big fan, heh x]

Makkon, EiGHT, duncan, Khaja, Skillmister, Ganon - I really appreciate the positive feedback!! :D

Here's a castle texture. Taking Iamar's advice to work with some cools more. I'm currently starting another one, probably a bit more intricate/designy to break up these plain old bricks haha. Probably some fancy trim. I'll be making heavily damaged versions of these castle textures as well. Critique and comments welcome:

Yrpur.png

Shown tiling:

cQmJS.png

And I actually saved my process this time around, in case anyone is interested haha :D :

k8JiT.gif
  • Pix
    Looks great, also I notice how you improve with each texture the brush strokes are different, colours and rendering are great as ever.
  • Andra
    Offline / Send Message
    Andra polycounter lvl 4
    I love the way you do your textures, I really need to practice that!
    Cannot wait to see the end of this it's going to look amazing.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    brilliant starting with the blue. i'm so attached to my fresh gray canvas it always keeps my colors coming out like lobotomized mud...consider yourself emulated.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Super smart way doing an underpainting to start out Jess! You're killing this project keep it up.

Get in some distance fog and that should fix the mountain issue I'd say.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Wow looks so nice - really like youre progress. The texturework !
    One thing, youre concept castle looks very mighty from this point of view.
    The trees on youre last progress let the castle look a bit tiny.
    Thought that the tree size should max. be the gate size.?! To keep the impressive scale?
  • GabrielP
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the texture work so far. Not a huge fan of the cliffs currently though. The solid hard edged cliff pieces are fantastic but currently it looks like theres just a green slime poured down it. The smoother areas need to either read more as rubble and dirt, or more as large solid rock.
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    pfff... way to go making everyone else look bad jessica!
    totally enjoying your progress :)
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    The brick texture is great when it comes to the execution of it, but what really bugs me are the big seams:
    cQmJS.png

Vertically, there are two big lines. I feel like the bricks there should overlap more, so you get rid of those vertical lines. (unless that's what you're going for...just sort of bugs me is all)
  • Mischievous
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    How didn't I spy this thread earlier this is badassery in the unavailing. I'll stalk this thread more often from now on
  • Pix
    Selaznog wrote: »
    The brick texture is great when it comes to the execution of it, but what really bugs me are the big seams:
    cQmJS.png

Vertically, there are two big lines. I feel like the bricks there should overlap more, so you get rid of those vertical lines. (unless that's what you're going for...just sort of bugs me is all)

I think good way to get away with this would be painting some dirt into cavities, or it can be mortar, wile bricks looks great they seem to be stuck to each other.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Sounds like a good spot for some vertex blending :p
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    great thread, im trying to do somthing similar as well. SUbscribed.
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    Already subbed for a few days, worth it to get emails every day.
  • Argent
    Love the under painting approach, thanks for sharing!

I have to concur with Selaznog about the tiling. Those vertical seems just seem more obvious than they need to be - unless, of course, they're intentional for some reason.

Keep going!
  • Kyuuu
    Like Selaznog said, the tiling is too obvious but I'm really loving this brick texture! I can't wait to see it on the castle!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Keep it comming Jess, looks real good.
  • lamar McHaney
    Offline / Send Message
    lamar McHaney polycounter lvl 9
    cant wait to see the end
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    This is incredible, Subscribed!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Pix, Andra, Jeff, reverendK, divl, Mischievous, Bonkahe, bugo, Iamar, Sugus - Thanks guys! :poly121:

Alphavader - Ok, I have scaled down the trees. Thanks:]

RJBonner - Cool, looking forward to it!

Uncookedtrout - No, wasn't going for cool bricks, just looking to add some cool tones for contrast.

Hey guys, I got my current textures in UDK. Haven't altered the cliffs at all yet! I think my bricks are a little small, probably will scale them up. Thoughts?

nI2Rv.png

Selaznog, Argent, Kyuuu - Thanks for pointing out the seams! I have fixed them and also painted a broken version of the brick texture this week. Here it is, and a test in photoshop of how they're blending together. I'm hoping to achieve a similar affect when I do my texture blending on the actual mesh. Critique and comments welcome:

Hsus8.png

meNJp.png
  • TheRealFroman
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    *Golf clap* I'm really diggin it! :P nice art style, and I enjoy where the composition/lighting is going :)
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    You are hands down my favorite hand painted texture artist, there is SO MUCH eye candy in here! Thank you for the breakdown gif, I really hope you plan to explain your process in more detail at some point!
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    At first when I saw the broken brick texture on it's own, I was worried, but the way you're blending it in looks awesome. Looks very natural and the colours work well together. Keep going!
  • Argent
    Do I spy some mossy bricks in there as well? Loving it, as always. My only concern - and I say concern because I don't know your final vision - is how geometrically stiff your architecture feels. Not sure if the towers are just place-holders but at the moment they're so straight they feel at odds with your gorgeous texture work. I'm positive you can give that castle a much more interesting silhouette and if you're not already planning to, I encourage you to consider it. Keep on arting on!
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Such incredibly gorgeous work, Jess. Keep it up!
  • MeintevdS
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Gah I love your textures so much, can't wait to see some of that texture blending going on inside UDK.

Not a huge fan of the trees yet, might be a personal taste thing, but the trunk to leaf ratio doesn't work for me. Even though I love the bark texture, I feel like the trunk is to wide for such a tiny cloud (can't think of the right name :p) of leaves. I always feel like trunks are huge and bulky when they have to support a lot of branches and leaves.
    TL;DR To much trunk, not enough leaves!

Looking forward to see more, inspiring work as always.
  • Kyuuu
    I love those textures! I can't wait to see more!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman, Kyuuu, tottot, Selaznog, ablaine - Glad you guys like it! :)

MeintevdS - Yeah, I'm getting a lot of crit on the proportion of the leaves to trunk, so I will expand the canopy, increase the frequency of leaves on the alpha card, while decreasing the actual leaf size - Thanks!

Argent - I thought the castle silhouette and shapes were looking a little boring tooo. So:

Over the last few days I got some great paintovers and critiques from some friends, so here is what I've come up with. I'm undecided on a few little details though still. Help me pick between 1, 2, and 3? 2 has little offshoot towers instead of plain straight ones, and in 3 they are offset. And if anyone else has suggestions/further paintovers, that is appreciated too!:

iCg2G.gif

Working on the castle trim sheet right now!

Thanks,
    Jess
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Love it! :)

I like 3, less symmetry~

Good luck jess :)
  • KennyTies
    Awesome work, I would say go for number three it looks more interesting. Keep up the great work.
  • Nina I.
    Offline / Send Message
    Nina I. polycounter lvl 5
    Out of 1, 2 and 3, I like the 3rd one the most too because of the broken assymmetry. It makes the scene look a bit more approachable, a little bit less iconic. :)

I feel the re-designed versions remind me more of a fancy aristocrat castle than a defensive military fortress because the building's structures have more ornamental and delicate shapes.

Keep it up!
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    I would say 3 but that means more work.U are doing great,Jessica.
  • Argent
    All three of those are a huge improvement! I agree with the general sentiment that the asymmetry of 3 makes it the most interesting. Can't wait to see more!
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    if you're going for an asymmetrical design for this fortress (castle?) you're going to want to push that approach far more than what you have here.

as you have it here we're looking at a symmetrically designed fortress with one fallen tower in the foreground and two askew towers in the background. it's not a very strong (or to be frank, compelling) asymmetrical design and feels like an afterthought.

an asymmetrical design for your fortress would be a far more appealing design. giving the viewers eye a chance to really explore the structure is far more compelling then having them look right up the middle and maybe spotting one or two different elements (like a fallen tower). changing the fortress to this degree would require a rework of its design completely so I guess it really matters what your goal is with this environment.

Cinderella's Castle is an example of a fortress (castle) designed with an emphasis on asymmetrical design.

TL;DR: an asymmetrically designed fortress would be far more appealing than what you've designed so far. other polycounters have suggested you use the asymmetric option with your fortress. i do not agree with them that you should use those designs because they aren't very strong ones, but i do believe an asymmetrical redesign is in order, and will be more visually appealing than its current design.

EDIT: i re-read the description of the tower as you posted it to see if anything about it specifically sounded symmetrical in design. unless i missed something, that element of its look does seem to be up to you.