Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Building / Advice needed

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
Hi,

My group and I are currently working on a project. (Cyberpunk setting 100 years into the feature) This building is soposed to be a Church HQ. The Church is the enemy.
I'm responsible for the Buildings in the Game.
The diffuse map is not finished yet, and I still need to apply the spec and probably a black/white converte into Nmap
My 1st question is how do you make the windows reflect light is there any special texture?

PS: is there any book on destructible environments or something close to that subject? need to write a Diploma paper. And need at least 2 books. I searched the net but cant find a thing :(

Replies

• JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did no one reply :(
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start. try having the same resolution on the whole mesh. how did you go about creating the textures? did you use photo sources? look up some tutorials on the topic, the polycount wiki might help you as well. do you plan to take it into an engine? if so and you try creating a destructible environment use UDK, its easy to use and has an extremly good documentation. if not look up APEX. hope i helped, good luck with your project.
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    You need at least two texts? Are papers not acceptable as resources? Seems like an odd stipulation, given the field of study. There are about a million papers out there, but I'm not sure about texts. I know the resources we have used for that type of thing in the past have been more in the space of structural engineering.

If you're just looking for papers, then google scholar and ACM are great places to start.

As far as the model goes -- What is this game you are making? How will this building be used?
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the replys

Shanthosa Papers are acceptable as resources, but we also need at least 3 books.
    I actually found a few good papers on scholar so thanks for that. :)

The game is set 100 years in the feature. We got a female character that joins a rebelion against the church that dictates the land. The first part of the game will be a Tutorial gamecontroles etc... ( Cyberpunk Setting)

The Player will only be able to pass by the building.
    Player can not enter the building.

At the end of the tutorial we will probably let the camera fly through the entire level, so I'm trying to give the model as much detail as possible.

Today I worked a bit more on the textures. As of right now there is only a diffuse tex. on the building. Im still deciding what tex. the entrance will get and also a few people at school today thought that the holy cross looke like a hospital cross, so i probably need to rethink that part and look at more church cross references.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You need to know a diploma paper, yet you don't seem to know a whole lot about modeling yet. May I ask in which year out of the course length you are?
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    What kind of a game is this? FPS? Third person action? Stealth action kart racer puzzle mmo rts? How is this building going to be used when the player walks past it? Can they get up close and touch it? Or is it going to be in the background?
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Third person.
    U can get up close and it is also in the background.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is my 6th month in course.
    And the programm runs for 2 years.
    + this is a lowpoly Game not some highend crazy stuff ;)
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    What reference did you use? Can you post your style sheet? Your friend is right, it looks nothing like a church and everything like a hospital. What exactly is cyberpunk about it? You are missing 2 huge clues in that A, it's a church and B, it's cyberpunk. Right now, it's just a really boring and dull building. Your building entry is also quite dull if you just leave it as some blank face with a few doors. This is, after all, supposedly a church. Most churches have grand entries.

This needs more stylistic pizazz. Especially if this building is the enemy HQ, which I'm just guessing is going to have a heavy primary focus of your game.

You won't find many books on destructible environments. You'll find a lot of academic white papers though. Which, if those don't count, your teacher is a fool.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

this is a new update on my LP building.

Keep in mind that this is only the Diffuse Map.
    And I might change the Church HQ.

Any suggestions and critique welcome :)
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 and 2k textures

should i make the fans smaller?

it was just a idea with the church hq.

was just a thought to make it look more unique
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is our Game that we are working on.
    Keep in mind that this is only my test version so its not the actual version we are working on as of right now.

I added a Spec map to the building and scailed the conditioners down a notch.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message