Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA 2] Broodmother Tubemother item set

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Nuclear Angel polycounter
So hi there polycount. This will be my first WIP thread i have ever made, so I am a little anxious, but I hope that it will be fine.

So what I am going to do is an item set for broodmother, because in my opinion she is the most interesting champion in Dota 2. And what I am going to do is pretty much Brood mother, but replacing her legs with half synthetic (cyborg like) legs, and a new opisthosoma. Which will instead be a synthetic test-tube platform were her babies will be in. And lastly I will do a remake of the spiderlings and make them in to cyborg spiders.

I will place a little quick sketch of what i wanted to do, right below this text.
spindelconcept.png

Replies

• shanks37
    this is a cool idea but keep in mind dota's setting is fantasy. just keep it looking more magic than technology and you should be fine though.
  • Some Jerk
    Oddly enough there was another mechanical broodmother set in the workshop that was met with a ton of resistance. Not entirely sure what happened, but I think it's floating in an odd limbo where valve can't decide whether to add it or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=70368619

Not gonna tell you not to do this, but just a reminder that it might end up in limbo next to blademother. Like shanks37 said, try to lean towards more fantasy and less sci-fi.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, maybe if I make it look like cocoons instead of tubes? And make the metal legs look like added parts by a crazed necromancer?
  • shanks37
    nah, definitely stick with the tubes idea, its a lot cooler.

attaching metal legs to a giant spider is more an artificers job but yeah, you get the idea :P

that should work great if you make the metal brass or pig iron with maybe some leather or canvas straps to hold them in place.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, damn I really need to learn to post stuffs, because I am so slow on that. BUT, here I am with an update to my Brood Mother (Tube mother). So I will drop some dumps and show where I am at.

wip01.png

wip03.png

wip05.png

If you look on picture one, I do not have anything for the "Hair" piece, I have no idea what to put there, do you guys have an idea? Any whom, hope you enjoyed.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need to start working on this WIP thing, I am damn bad at it!
    So I am done with the abdomen, and soon done with the legs. I will post pictures below, and I will also put up pictures of the sketches that I have done as concept art, because the first is quite messy.

So here we go:

wip08.png

wip07.png

wip06.png

I also had exporting issues ( following with a picture ):

somethingswrong.png

So I have not seen how it looks inside Dota 2 yet. Help would be appreciated, because there seems to be a skinning issue =3

C&C welcome and appreciated
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    I told myself that I would post more WIP pics and posts, but no I have not. I am terrible at it. I sit and work for 5 hours straight till my hands bleed, then fall asleep. And the sum of this is that I forget to post at my on WIP thread. I am ashamed...

Anywhom, I am pretty much done with my item set, made a preview for it. The thing is, I have one little step left to take, get the items in to Dota 2. I cant import my item set. Same problem as before, just look at my old post. But I will try to reinstall my Dota 2 client, to see if that will help me with my problem. Also I will try to upload my stuffs from another computer as well.

But here is a picture of what I have done, and I ill stay in touch over the coming days.
    Polycount, I love you for the extension!

completepreview.png
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    So one day till deadline, Still got problems with imports, but slowly crawling forward to something that is in game. But this have been a fun ride, learned a lot, and I would want to thanks Polycount and Valve for letting me and everyone else be on this contest. I ill put up my finished entry as soon I get it in game.

Nuke