Home General Discussion

VERTEX #2 Content Call

We are getting close to cutting off the content for the second book and still have a few spots open for content submissions. If you would like to contribute to this please start by sending us your portfolio and three possible topics that you could cover. This is not just a call for content for artists only this is a content call for video game developers in general.

The VERTEX book series primarily deals with tips and tricks with some theory on a higher level. We are not looking for (how to) tutorials with a lot of hand holding. If you have a unique technique or a good workflow that could help even the best industry professionals in their day to day tasks at work then we want to hear it and possibly feature it. Please send all submissions to contact@artbypapercut.com thanks!

Share this to help us make the second volume of VERTEX even better then the first.

Thanks and I can't wait to see what Polycount comes up with. If you would like to be in VERTEX 2 but don't really have time to do an article well we always will have the pimp pages so send us some samples of the work you would like for us to feature.

Replies

• Ryan Hawkins
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    What are limitations for the 'Tips and Trick' tut's? It is limited to modeling, texturing and baking, or is there more one can submit?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Sent you a letter :) Yes, a real one with paper and all!

Love the contrast from all the "Where the fuck is that art-book thingy?" to you needing to bump something like this. Or well, maybe it's sad? :D

Keep up the amazing job!
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    I think there are a lot of people who looked at this thread, and then said "Nah, im not good enough to provide any useful info" When in fact they really might have something useful. I know I definitely feel i'm not at the ability to provide any usefully information for anybody that cant easily be found somewhere else.

I think the quality bar set in the last/ first issue was soo high that it has scared away a lot of borderline contributors. Who knows though, maybe i'm full of shit, he prob got a lot of PM's as people don't necessarily want to talk fully about these things in total public, hence why he had to bump the thread manually.

Super excited to see another issue, the last one was amazingly helpful.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Id love to contribute, but I don't have a beefy enough folio yet. Maybe next time.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    TrevorJ wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of people who looked at this thread, and then said "Nah, im not good enough to provide any useful info"

Yep. This, exactly. The first one had work from at least half a dozen people I pretty much idolize, so the thought of dumping some sort of shit from me in there seems laughable.
  • timspanjer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed - Swizzle and TrevorJ are right on. I hope to have something worth sharing at some point as well.

VERTEX #1 rocked btw Ryan. Still trying wrap my mind around all the great info!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, yes I have received some emails but nothing on a great scale so don't think its to much to sort through haha. As far as setting the bar with Book 1 that was kind of the goal to put out solid content in a solid format. That does not mean you guys might not have anything to offer. Not everyone in VERTEX 1 was some type of polycount celebrity some people got a break in VERTEX 1 to show the art communities that they had something to offer. To me those articles rocked real hard and I enjoyed working on them with the artists.

If you have an idea or think you can contribute send the email out suck it up and just do it. Its my job to sort through the content and find out whats right for this issue. I am always looking for content no matter who submits it.

If you don't think you are ready yet for a full blown article maybe you can submit your folio for a pimp page or something? I know you guys can muster up something get out their and get back to the drawing boards and send me some emails.

Thanks for the support and I promise to make the books as best as I can and to keep the quality level high.
  • McPandaBurger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McPandaBurger polycounter lvl 12
    How's this going is there any news on when it might appear? Loved the first one just was looking to check out a second one
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's this going is there any news on when it might appear? Loved the first one just was looking to check out a second one

Check the thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116492