Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fozwroths WIP n stuff

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
Hey there. So Ive been really busy at work latley but Im trying to get some things done on my spare time as well. so i figured I try to maintain a WIP thread to keep me going a bit :D Im an Foliage artist/ environment artist so a lot of the stuff will probably be hardsurface stuff to kind of spice it up a little, got some cool stuff going on at work but its very much NDA :P

so lets just get started by tossing up some recent junk!

this is just a some fanart to practice topologi, a few hours in. been fun so far :)

gethbust.jpg

This is a bigger project that Im slowly making progress on :P

chickwip.jpg

and just a lowly skull, not the best skull by any means but a nice practice anyway! going to go back and remove some of that horrible black in the teeth and other places when there is time.

speedskull.jpg

skullmarmoset.jpg

Replies

• Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    just gonna bump this a little. any input is always appreciated! :)
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The Geth looks pretty good, but the texture is a little to clean, so he looks freshly made. Signs of fighting and battle would make a huge difference.

The hell chick doesn't make sense to me. There is a difference between sexualizing a character and using nudity just because you can. Having her in a thong and her boobs showing doesn't work with the fact that she has mechanical armor on her limbs, head, and back. If you want to go with nudity then design her around that fact, and use elements that help make the nudity make sense. You can still make her sexy even if you cover her up though, just look at some of the stuff Hazardous does with his female characters. That is my personal opinion on those type of characters, so you can take that how you would like.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input! the geth isnt finished its just 2 different Phong shaders, planning on making a lowpoly and texturing it though :)
    for the Hellchick Im just working from the classic concept sheets for the hellchick character by Paul Richards but I see your point. I´ll play around with the idea of covering her up next time I put some time on her :)
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i agree with bardler. personally, what makes a character sexy is the face. a character with a beautiful face is sexier than one with her boobs hanging out but her face covered... if you dont care about sexy, then add a chest armor to her, that would make more sense.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    didnt know boobs where such a sensitive subject to people, Guess its back to the drawing board with this one eh, thanks for the input!
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    of course boobs are a sensitive subject! i think about them day and night! :P
  • BobtheGreatII
    Offline / Send Message
    BobtheGreatII polygon
    I don't see why you need to change it because one person said so. Nothing's wrong with the model. If you like it, be done with it. You can't please everyone. Personally I think it's fine how it is.
  • DavePhipps
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    I would stay true to the concept of HellChick. I love it! It says Q3 Strogg to me, boobs and all.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you got a point there ^^ Just thought that the first comments were negative about her outfit i kind of assumed it was the general opinion. I think I will keep modelling from the concept sheets even though she has her boobs flapping about ;) never really thought about it as sexual, just think she is a pretty cool character with fun organic and non organic shapes to play with.

Got a bit of time to put aside to adress the darkness of this texture. nose area came out a little lowpoly in the side view but in a game situation this would probably be something laying around on the ground or similar ^^ the quest for optimizing came back and bit me a bit in the ass :D

going to try to finish the Geth this weekend, if I can shake of this fever Ive been having :/

-oh Damn the compression made it a little dark again, oh well its not quite as dark as it appears here :P

Cheers!

skullredner2ndpass.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    gethrenderbust.jpg

Been working a little more on this tonight. some stuff left to do but i think its get(h)ting there, some dry saturday night humor for ya! ^^
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks nice. You planning on giving this unit a soul?
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    perhaps ;) Ive gotten request from my friends to convert it into Legion, but maybe later on.. want to keep this a short project :) already spend about 3 days on it.

Im going to bake it down to a lowpoly with some texturing though! practise my metal materials a bit.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    gongrender.jpg

a little lunch sculpt I want to turn into a little diorama. still some work left to do on it :) quite WIP
  • cgartland
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    I would definitely take another pass on the skull, try and match a ref proportionally, its already good but tweaking it just a little more would make it great
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    alright thanks! I´ll have another look at it. maybe its enough to tweak the lowpoly proportions a little if Im lucky ^^
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    think Im done with the highpoly modelling :) now to do the rest in Zbrush, adding some wear and damage. I think it will be really fun texturing this guy!

gethborizbrush.jpg

gethborizbrushtopo.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgeth.jpg

gonggong2.jpg

small update, doing some small detailing on the geth, going to add more with heightmaps since the mesh started to be a hazzle to manage. high polycount etc..

Thrown down some base colors on the Gong. will try to finish these by the end of the weekend!
  • AlphaMeow
    Id say with the skull, go 100% realistic or 100% stylized and not in-between.
    The hard surface looks very nice and polished. :3
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! yeah I'm gonna go back back and double check it against references :) just having a blast with the other 2 projects at the moment ^^ but maybe this weekend! toss an hour or 2 more into it.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    gonggongscreencopy.png

Took another wack at this. think Im done for now untill I will build the small diorama I want to do, Blacks got a little chrushed after imageshack.. Next up is the Geth :)
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Uploaded a better one with less compressed black areas. now onto building the lowpoly for the Geth :)
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    gethlp.png

Got some Lowpoly going on! Hoping to have this testbaked or even final baked by the end of the weekend =) some parts left but the major ones are there. going for an optimize run after this is done as well ^^
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Are you avoiding modeling faces?
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Little bit perhaps, I'm really terrible at it :( good thing games need environments too ;)
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got it baked down and Im pretty happy with the results. read up a little extra about normal mapping, trying to understand it on a new level and it came out very clean thanks to it :)

gethlp.png
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    at first glance this looks nice, but you have some really harsh corners on the edges of your bake. that wont translate well at all since the transitions from one side to another is too abrupt and the specularity on the edges wont show from far away.
    also you have some bake errors on the chest area. not the cleanest bake, and could rebake.
    on zbrush, theres a decimation master plugin. use it when your are about to export and bake in a different program. good luck!
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input. yeah might have overlooked the edgewidth a little when it comes distance shots, I couldnt for the life of me get the decimation, or any plugin to install properly. instead of moping around with it I proceeded with the baking anyway.

I dont really see any baking errors? the dark spot on the chest upper left is a shadow artifact in marmoset, need to change the lightning and the darker spots in the top middle and around the circles are the AO being to strong at 100% opacity, going to tune it down.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    bumping this a little just in case someone else has any feedback on it :) going to do some tweaks tonight then texturing in the weekend.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some quick base colors down. going to experiment with color scheme a bit, right now its going towards a reaper-ish color. going to add some patterns on the larger empty plates then start some detailing. really got to catch some sleep, Im way behind on that ^^

colorpass.png
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    baking errors i saw...
    8168125815_5230bebcae_h.jpg
    a bit of advice...when you have plates on the high poly mesh, follow the flow of it with the low poly.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    ah now I follow! :) thanks. should be pretty easy to adjust that
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Awesome, looking forward to seeing a textured version!
    Colour scheme looks okay, but maybe have a bit more variation. I think the "arms" should be a different colour/material.
    Maybe make the bolts and cables lighter or darker too
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! yeah me too this is going to be a blast ^^ yes I need to separate the cables from the other materials. the arms need go go more in a grayish tone I think, looking through some different concepts and seems like most of them have a grey material on that part of their bodies. also as said before I think some patterns will break up the plain colors on the chest and shoulders :)
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the Diffuse this evening, still very WIP. default spec and a simple emissive map. lots to do but Im hoping to have this ready by thee nd of the weekend :) Imageshack kind of killed the subtle purple tinted spec, turning it disco purple... need to find a better solution somehow.

gethtexturing.jpg

gethtexturingrenderunli.png
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    some more progress on this. Feedback is very appreciated :)

gethrender6copy.png
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the small environment I want to do with the gong. just blocked some stuff out. Im gonna try out world machine for this one I think. re-used an old ugly rock model as blockout mesh. going to try to add some cool snowing effect and wind. very WIP :D

shrine1.jpg

shrine2e.jpg

shrine3.jpg
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    The textured version looks awesome!
    I have some minor issues though.

The black thing on his upper arm is a bit weird, but I like the scraped away paint around it.

The tubes are really flat and plasticy, I think they'd look better if they were rubber.

The wrinkled bits below his armor look weird.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!

yeah I need to get that black blotch so read alot better, was experimenting with the thought that a slug had hit and glanced off the metal. I think rubber for the tubes is the way to go :) I didnt really sculpt the parts under the armor super accurate :P but
    I´ll see what I can do about that!
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like moving on from this now ^^ it was a really nice project. if there is any major eyesores I will fix it though.

mrgethrender01.png

mrgethrenderwire.png
  • Ravanna
    tbh i think the geth is beautiful, we all get the odd baking errors here and there. material definition looks nice to me.
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! glad you like it :)
  • brwnbread
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    looks great, love the way the chest puffs out
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, yeah they have a cool design :)
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    First time attempting handpainted textures and got results I aint 100% ashamed of :) might be below avarage but Im still happy I pulled through and didnt give up on it. this is waaaaay out of my comfort zone but will definitely do more of these! try out some more complex designs this was uber basic.

theyxa.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    went back and cleaned it up a little and tested out some Ddo tricks on in :) quite nice tool to add a little extra edge details and such!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqG3ziduWw"]Geth Bust Turntable - YouTube[/ame]

mrgethrender2.jpg

mrgethrender2wire.jpg

gethflats.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    So i bought Ndo today and took it for a testrun together with Ddo. an hour or two work into it right now. Going to build a small environment inside UDK during the weekend as an experiment how far this workflow can be taken without laying my own hands on it. going to be some kind of loading dock with a small corridor and a door/airlock or something like that..pretty standard sci fi-ish.

floor01.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Started doing a blockout. due to time I think it will just be yet another sci fi corridor(yay!) going to do some more textures after blocking out some more prop dressing in the scene. its just a printscreen so quality isnt top notch.
    need to do some things in the real world as well this weekend so thats why I cut the scope a little :poly122:

corridorp.jpg
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working a little on the wall texture. still very WIP need to come up with something interesting on the larger surfaces. also need to add more cables to get rid of the tiling a little.

corridor2.jpg
  • m1neh
    Hey man, looks nice so far, hope you're gonna make nice complicated door design :) are you doing the entire thing with nDo and dDO or are you doing some high poly stuff too?
  • Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! yeah Im gonna start looking into a design for the door soon, and yes will hopefully be something complicated and very sci fi :D yes at the moment Im planning to use only nDo and dDo togetether with a soft edge bevel technique to get rid of harsh hard edges on the meshes. but if something dont work out I´ll probably highpoly model it instead, the nice thing about this way is that you can iterate on it really fast :)