Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning how to draw environment art?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
So I figured drawing characters is not enough and I want to move on to drawing environments. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I have the ideas but I don't know how to translate them to paper. I've checked the wiki but I can't seem to find the information I want.

In short, what I'm asking for is where to find a step by step tutorial or reference on drawing environments, especially with proper perspective. I'm learning one point but I'm finding it tricky on how to place anything but basic shapes in a scene. How would I evolve these shapes into detailed 3D buildings or characters?

Replies

• proximity
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    JordanN wrote: »
    So I figured drawing characters is not enough and I want to move on to drawing environments. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I have the ideas but I don't know how to translate them to paper. I've checked the wiki but I can't seem to find the information I want.

In short, what I'm asking for is where to find a step by step tutorial or reference on drawing environments, especially with proper perspective. I'm learning one point but I'm finding it tricky on how to place anything but basic shapes in a scene. How would I evolve these shapes into detailed 3D buildings or characters?

Industrial design classes ftw! Find a way to learn the fundamentals. ID is really one of the best ways to learn it. Look at all the major concept artists for film and games and chances are they learned how to draw from industrial design. (Ryan Church and Feng Zhu to name a few.) Also check out feng zhu's you tube channel. That has some really great stuff. just search for "FZD school" on you tube. Over 50 episodes of awesomeness.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with artquest. Gotta learn those good fundamentals first, a perspective class will do wonders for your art no matter what subject or medium.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm actually currently enrolled in an art class where one of the things taught so far was perspective. However, the information has been very rudimentary so far and it hasn't covered what I'm struggling with (turning shapes into complex objects).
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually currently enrolled in an art class where one of the things taught so far was perspective. However, the information has been very rudimentary so far and it hasn't covered what I'm struggling with (turning shapes into complex objects).

What you should be looking for more is an instructor/class that can teach processes and techniques rather than concepts of a "good" environment. Check out James Paick, he does environment classes all the time. It's usually full though...

For what its worth, I'm a concept artist that was self taught. It's a bitch... But it's possible.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12

Basic observational perspective is good for when you are doing still life, or smaller scale scenes from observation. However constructing perspective at the start of a drawing when you are just using your head is impossible to do by observation, well because you are not observing anything. Perspective is a complex subject especially once you get into 3 point perspective, measuring points, field of view distortion, and all that fun stuff. You really should look into taking a dedicated perspective class, or as other people have mentioned, an industrial design class that will teach you these fundamentals.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing the opposite. I've been drawing perspective environments since I was like 6 or 7, but only over the last 10 months or so have I been trying organic stuff such as figures. You're just going to have to practice doing perspective. A perfect way of training is blocking out a nice scene in max or maya and sketching over a "perspectively" correct environment.

It's exactly the same as learning to sketch characters. Draw buildings, your room, anything that has lines that define perspective. It's just like figure drawing to develop character illustration skills. Just by looking around and observing how angles interact with one another in real life you can pick up on what is and isnt right.

For example, I see a ton of errors in those two images above. They're not necessarily a big deal but they bother me!

Some things to practice are ellipses, and trying to work out distortion in your drawings. As artquest mentioned, take a look at FZD school, those videos are so helpful. Details are something you will learn if you practice and use reference. You need to expand your visual library.
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    id say,

i agree with titus and the others, finding a great coarse to learn the processes is the best thing but if you needed some quick reward advice..

there are a lot of things you can do in your day to day life that will greatly improve your skill at drawing environments, as well as train your eyes.

if you have time to practice do that. its the most important part. the more you do it the better your brain gets at it. its that simple. its really the more you practice at noticing things by drawing them, the more you notice the next time! also as others have mentioned, get a book on perspective if you are totally in the dark.

but of coarse you need inspiration so try taking pictures with good composition and letting your imagination run wild from that starting point. good environment pieces are based on good compositions.

just look around. everywhere you go there are some buildings with character. rickety ones, stately ones, cozy ones. have you ever taken a drive just to look at houses? architecture is truly an art to be appreciated!

good luck in your search