Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Darksiders Character Fan Art - Wip

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
SveinY polycounter lvl 6
Newest update
aZO6q.jpg
Heya new character for my portfolio based on the Darksiders style.. Since I failed big time on the wep I made on the Darksiders Contest I will try again now with a full character :) Gonna try to make a skeleton boss or something..
Started on the head.
6j4SX.jpg

Replies

• SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I think on the head you could benefit from defining some of the key shapes a bit more, like the cheek bones, eyebrows and jaw. Maybe make the shapes a bit more angular and defined rather than blobby and smooth like you have now.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the forearm is constructed from 2 bones ;)
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Neox wrote: »
    the forearm is constructed from 2 bones ;)
    well, as you can see everything is anatomically incorrect on purpose here
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    very small update.. Thx for the crits.:)
    PredatorGSR Will fix that soon man :poly142:
    Neox I know but last image was just an block out plus like SuperFranky said not everything will be 100% anatomically correct but some stuff need to be there tho ^^

ITmaQ.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    New Update still a lot of stuff that is block out and there will be a lot more gear that I haven't added yet.
    2htn4.jpg
  • TaylorMouse
    Offline / Send Message
    TaylorMouse polycounter lvl 10
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    keep it up , but his legs look a little short .. you want to do that ? .. hope to see more soon :)
    good luck
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thx for the kind words!
    ayoub44 I like the short legs but I may fix so he got a bit longer I will think about it hehe
    Haven t gotten to do much but its still some progress tho :)
    sZDCP.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Small update just finish detailing the head gonna move on to start detailing the rest now and then gonna start on his weapon :)
    YRvNy.jpg
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    What the hell, how isn't this getting more comments? Really great sculpt =)

I don't really have any critics right now as it looks really good. Can't wait to see how you'll do on the low poly. Keep up the good work! ;)
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Flippin' heck dude can't wait to see this finished!
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Chunky skeleton, love it! Maybe add some curves on ribs? most of it will be covered anyway, no big deal i guess.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot guys I will try to speed this more up and get the HPs done soon :)
    Oh well I have started on the block out on the weapon now still not done detailing the body but will come with and update on that soon :poly142:
    r4Ct9.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Alrighty HP is mostly done gonna hit the low poly soon :)
    j2ODj.jpg
    tp9UD.jpg
    xsk4G.jpg
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Low poly and bakes are done yay... texturing time :)
    MlV86.jpg
    VL8pu.jpg
    bKLBt.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh geez, this is turning out incredible!! You got an awesome bake :0
  • WarrenM
    Seriously, that's your low poly? Clean bake, holy crud!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I agree this is looking good.
    Can't wait for some texture loving.
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    show the wires
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! @ scapulator sure dude here
    Yg2aK.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome! Love the stylized detail, very nice.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Hellz yeah! Looks sick.
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    For the most part, that is a very clean bake. But the belt going across his chest has some artifacting and warping.
    If you didn't already, make sure you triangulate your low poly before baking. If that doesn't clean it up, your options are
    1 - hardening the normals on the side edges of the belt
    2 - adding edge loops along the sides of the belt, or
    3 - simply baking the belt onto a card strip with alpha.
    I wouldn't leave it as-is, since I think it detracts from an otherwise very nice sculpt and bake.

If you decide to go with option 2, here's a guideline
    14t7lue.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    dirigible wrote: »
    For the most part, that is a very clean bake. But the belt going across his chest has some artifacting and warping.
    If you didn't already, make sure you triangulate your low poly before baking. If that doesn't clean it up, your options are
    1 - hardening the normals on the side edges of the belt
    2 - adding edge loops along the sides of the belt, or
    3 - simply baking the belt onto a card strip with alpha.
    I wouldn't leave it as-is, since I think it detracts from an otherwise very nice sculpt and bake.

If you decide to go with option 2, here's a guideline
    14t7lue.jpg

Alternatively one could model the belt laid out flat, both the hipoly and lopoly and bake that. Would produce the cleanest result without any extra loops required and would work just fine on the bent version.

Work is looking great btw. Looking forward seeing this badass textured.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Thanks a lot for kind words! @ dirigible and AimBiZ thx for the tips I have re baked the belts and I got an much more cleaner result now. I added just some hard normals on them and it worked fine.
    j9YsJ.jpg
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! Looks a lot better! :D
  • Nevermind1567
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    hello
    the baking quality is really impressive.
    right now I'm having some difficulties with baking in sharp-corned areas.
    sorry for interfering in your topic, but could some explain a bit more about options 1 and 2? Dirigible, what do you mean by "hardening the normals"? And how can edge loops be added at baking stage without ruining the unwrapped mesh?
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    hello
    the baking quality is really impressive.
    right now I'm having some difficulties with baking in sharp-corned areas.
    sorry for interfering in your topic, but could some explain a bit more about options 1 and 2? Dirigible, what do you mean by "hardening the normals"? And how can edge loops be added at baking stage without ruining the unwrapped mesh?

Consult this article. It basically covers it all. Further down you can find a section about hard edges and using extra loops.

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the polycount wiki is a really good source of information. But AimBiZ posted right after I just finished making this explanation image, so fuck it I'm gonna post this anyway :)

WARNING: Normal maps, normals, and baking are more complicated than they seem at first glance. If you aren't familiar with the terminology, this might not make any sense. If that's the case, just head over to the wiki and get learnin'.

Baking and normal maps are controlled with vertex normals.

Fig 1 shows 3 sections of belt, hardened normals on the left, SveinY's original version in the middle, and a modified topology version on the right. It also shows the vertex normals of the three sections. As you can see, hardening the normals (splitting them, really) results in vertex normals that point straight in the direction of the face. Softening (welding) the normals makes them point in a more 45 degree angle, and 'bends' the way light affects the face.

Fig 2 shows the result of that bending. Since baking is controlled through vertex normals, the middle model has a bent, warped normal map. The bumps on the right side seem to be pointing left, and the bumps on the left side seem to be point right. The same thing WOULD be happening on the far right model, but adding more geometry changes the vertex angle. Warping only happens on the edges, where it's unnoticeable anyway.

Fig 3 shows the downside to simply hardening normals for baking. Hardened normals often result in a small artifact, that is simply impossible to get rid of. Splitting the uv's whenever you harden an edge does help REDUCE this artifact, but it does not eliminate it. If you zoom out far enough it's not that apparent, but it always bothers me anyway.

Fig 4 shows the importance of triangulation BEFORE baking. Whatever you are using to bake is going to triangulate your low poly, but all programs don't triangulate the same way. So if you feed quads to xNormal, it might triangulate different from Maya or Max. The middle cube has the same triangulation as when the normal map was baked. The right cube has wrong triangulation. You can see, it's important to get the triangulation correct!

dX4fr.jpg

xtra info:
    while making this image I found out that it's actually the vertex normals of your CAGE that determine projection angle and warping while baking. If you don't give XNormal a cage, it will create one, copying the vertex normals from your low poly. If you make a cage, (for instance with xNormal's 3d viewer tool, or in maya or max) you will have direct control over the cage's vertex normals.
  • Nevermind1567
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    That was a really great explanation, lots of thanks!
    I've tried to read some sticky threads about normal maps, but their size multiplied by the language barrier made them quite hard for me. I'll surely study the wiki article, but I got the idea from the dirigible explanation, since It's perfectly clear.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    @dirigible,

That artifacting caused by a hardened normal will be practically erased with the splitting of the uvs, just a few pixels gap between the shells will fix it.

Edit:

split_uvs_edges.jpg

ZackF says it better :P
  • dirigible
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew81
    Yeah I just did a test with a cube. In the past I had run into issues because of the vertex normals of my cage when I bake, but by manually creating a cage (in xnormal) I get a much cleaner result.
    ngpHm.jpg
    Because the default cage uses the vertex normals of the low poly model, there was a difference in projection that created artifacting any time I used a hard-normalled low poly, regardless of whether or not I split the uv's.

Sorry to hijack the thread like this, hope to spread the knowledge
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible wrote: »
    Yeah, the polycount wiki is a really good source of information. But AimBiZ posted right after I just finished making this explanation image, so fuck it I'm gonna post this anyway :)

Heh, sorry about that. You did a good job on that one. :)
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Alrighty back again to this thread.
    Been a bit busy with an art test and getting a job :) But I finally got around getting the this guy done 2k map on the char and 1k on the wep. I don't think I did justice to the Darksiders universe but maybe 1 day I will try again hehe oh well its an new piece in my portfolio ^^

4FlS6.jpg
    ont4h.jpg
    BYDon.jpg
    zXJ0W.jpg
    nnTJN.jpg
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Good work so far! The character is looking a bit flat to me and could use some color gradient and hue-shifts to help make it feel richer.

Also might think about tweaking the value on the skulls on the shoulder pad and belt to make them stand out from the other bone surfaces. The runes on the blade also could be pushed in more with some subtle highlights and shading, as they're also looking a little flat.

You've seen these. You're close, but your character is lacking the vibrancy and richness seen in the Vigil characters and style right now.

Keep pushing it! :)
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty awesome dude. I love the material on the bone. The weapon is great too. And I really like that fleshy material connecting the ribcage and the pelvis. It adds a nice touch.

The skulls could be a bit more anatomically sound for my taste, but that's just me.

Good stuff man.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Might be my screen but it looks too dark. Get rid of the black spots and introduce some ambiance. Imo it should be more colorful, particularly the purples. Could we see your maps? Will be easier to judge whether it's the lighting or the maps affecting things.

Overall it's coming along nicely though.
  • JesseEllert
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I kept meaning to comment on this earlier...

I did a quick paintover to show what I feel you could do to bring it more in line with the Darksiders style.
    SveinY_tweak.gif
    I dunno if you plan to make any further changes, but hopefully this is helpful. Its nice work as it stands tho!
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks everyone for the nice words and crits! :D @ ScoobyDoofus I wasn't planing to change it but after looking at your paint over it makes me want to try to improve the textures thanks man.
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Alrighty this is what the new update on the textures looks like... its more brighter colors in it now and some more glow in the eyes.. I think I will call it done for now.
    XACq8.jpg
    aZO6q.jpg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Damn this looks great.
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Give him a badass fighting pose, like swinging his weapon or something.
  • hamzaaa
    Offline / Send Message
    hamzaaa polycounter lvl 11
    I think this looks fantastic! Would love to see this guy animated :D
    Great textures also!!
  • SveinY
    Offline / Send Message
    SveinY polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Heres an last pose as AimBiZ requested I call it the bat shit insane attack pose :poly122: If you want to see textures and stuff look on my website... well thats a wrap next project.
    fQobF.jpg
    s6uXc.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, it can be a lot more insane. Needs more dynamism. I suggest a forwards jump while swinging from the side. Think superhero poses. Would fit the comics based style of the game.