Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My_First_Zbrush_Sculpt

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
Hi Guys,

This is a character that I am currently developing for my portfolio.
I'm a beginner at Zbrush and this is my first Sculpt.
I will fully Texture and Rig it next week.

Over the Weekend I'm going to work on the Sculpt itself ( Tweaking)

Any critique is welcome. :)

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    As it's clearly supposed to be a humanoid the proportions are off. His legs should be longer and maybe even a bit shorter on the torso. Lock up human anatomy. There's some muscles structure in the sculpt that doesn't make sense to me. You need it to be grounded in reality somehow to make it more believable.
    I'd suggest to lower the rib-cage and make it resembling more a human one. If you want him to be super thin you could always push it inwards.

My biggest advice though is to make a normal human study first as this alien guy wouldn't really qualify for a portfolio piece, particularly since it's your very first one. You need to practice a bit first.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But there is a story to the creature and its legs are not supossed to be longer.
    He uses the upper body more for swinging from tree to tree.
    Lives in the Jungle.

Plus i not stirring to make him look more human like that was not my goal.

Thanks for the advice though:) I will still look up the issues you suggested.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    That doesn't read through the design. If he'd used his arms mostly then they'll be much longer and dominate the legs, much like a orangutan or sloth. Basically it doesn't come through as a climber.
    I don't mean you should make it look like a human but there was some resemblance. It's just a tip on how to make it more believable.

2201968.jpg
    sloth.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    You should really listen to AimBiZ. Do some studies it will help. Don't be like game art student bullfrog.

tumblr_lx5n7pc02O1r37btso1_500.jpg
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to fix a few things you guys suggested, hope it looks better now and conveys the story about the Alien_Climber
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You anatomy is still lacking sense. The muscles on the back are not defined properly, he has a very flat face, his leg structure doesn't make any sense, and his chest needs better structure. You cant just through some muscles in random places and say its not a human so its fine. Anatomy has to work in a certain way because in order to pick up your arm and rotate it the muscles need to be structured a certain way.
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Try not to boot your subdivisions all the way up. do as much as you can within the lower subdivisions as its so much easier to manipulate your shapes and proportions.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm trying is it getting any Bettet ? :)
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    Just a random question . why did you include your poly count in the first image O.o
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    anatomy is wonky and nonsensable.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    I wouldn't worry about poly painting/textures at the moment, i think you should try and improve your form/anatomy first. I suggest you constantly look at ref images, see why yours doesn't look as similar... Try and make the muscle groups flow! Keep it at it anyway :)