Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

an other Temple Scene CE3

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I am working on this scene for a while. It still needs some love in mapping, texturing and lighting. Please feel free to give some critics. Next update will be the Vegetation maybe some tesselation on the tree trunks.

Latest version:
temple_mayday_08.jpg

temple_mayday_02.JPG
temple_mayday_03.JPG
temple_mayday_04.JPG
temple_mayday_05.JPG
temple_mayday_06.JPG
temple_mayday_wire.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Looks cool that is for sure, but doesn't really have anything that stands out. I think playing with some different colors would be a good idea, because you basically only have shades of brown and green. Adding some type of magic effect to the scene might be fun to mess around with, and make people wonder less about how this thing is floating.

You are really close to something really awesome though, maybe try some matte paintings on some of your screens to figure out some ideas.
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    beautifull scene, well there is one thing i can crit if i may? the hidden stairs on right side of the second image, i can't really see them once it is textured. maybe you could find a way to darken the base of each step because the texture definitly blend them to the rest of the scene.

made a really fast paint over to explain myself beter.

testedg.jpg
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    thx for the comments, I will try some different light and color setups for this scene soon. I agree the Environment looks way to uniform.
    About the stairs I think I will ad a texture for it and have an vertex color pass on the scene to avoid loosing details.
  • Spitfire
    wow this is beautiful.
    Its somewhat blurry at times, try get some more depths in the shadows, other than that i think this is amazing
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome job so far! I agree with Bardler though.

What if you tried slightly reddish bricks? It might make them stick out a little better.
    You could make the underside of the rocks wet and briney as well with barnacles and things?
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Very nice! Are you making use of detail normalmaps on the rocks and trees? If not, you should. Especially on the trees, it's very flat.

Love that last pic with the ocean! Great ToD!
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    This is incredible! Love it
    Straight into the inspiration folder ^^
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys, The Scene is WIP so thx for all your comments I will try to improve the named issues in my next iterations. atm there is no gloss and spec added to the scene. Somehow I like to add some rain later.
    I am aiming for something like this for the light mood:
    Landscape-wallpapers-desktop-background-desert.jpg
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Hi!

I think it is looking really nice - However, I agree with the above comments of nothing really standing out. Not that your modeling is bad, I think the scene looks great. I mostly think that the lighting could be more inspired and you could use some color to draw focus in the scene.

Take a look at this Uncharted 2 screenshot and note a few things:
    uncharted_2_among_thieves_4.jpg

scene_from_uncharted_2_by_zzzbye-d4g2duj.jpg

IGeVcsVAi.jpg

A) Without the red color, that boxcar hanging from the cliff would blend almost completely with the background.

B) By using some saturated earth tones, such as the yellows, reds and rich teals, they are able to very successfully pop out their architectural elements without removing the age of the materials.

I think this is something that would REALLY make your scene pop out more. I strongly advise you to add some vertex coloring on top of your materials and see what that results in, if it doesn't quite work, I think that you should rework your textures to have some more colors in them other than that brown hue.

Once that is done post some screenshots and let us have a look! But I think that will go a VERY long way to making your scene pop more.

By adding some color to the hidden pathway on the right side of it you can also direct focus there.

Keep up the great work!
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quick paintover now that I'm at work. :)

OxKF5.jpg

f49fa8272351c1614980cda3c188318e.gif
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    At work, so I'm going to come up short here.

Alright this is neat, but there are some big issues.
    • Everything blends in together. It doesn't read.
    • The transitions between organic and man-made surface qualities are not strong. Plants and mossy bits sort of just "stick out". Come up with a logic to the scene and how this stuff has grown over this ruin.
    • Surface qualities. The stone, rock, wood, etc. all have the same material properties right now.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Where have I seen this enviro before?
  • e-freak
    Naughty Dog Art Test. Looks great :)
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    @Computron, I'm pretty sure it's based on the Naughty Dog Environment Artist Modelling test that they send out.
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    hey Seaseme, thx for your overpoint. I absolutly agree with your points. I try somethiong out next days.
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    You're most welcome. ALl I really did was add some reds and yellows with an overlay layer. That might be all you really need to do with your textures- but I would think that the effect would be just as easy to get using vertex coloring (which is mostly free to use in engine and extremely effective).
  • Abe_hokage
    really cool man! i agree with the comments too ;)
    keep it up!
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    hey guys, I didnt found much time last week so just a little proress screenshot today, I mostly removed the bloom and trying around with the material colors a little.
    At the moment I am doing some overpaints to define the colors and overall mood better. I post some progress images soon.
    Thanks for your comments.
    temple_mayday_07.JPG
  • Seaseme
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhhhh much better!
  • riowahab
    Offline / Send Message
    riowahab polycounter lvl 11
    MaYdaY wrote: »
    hey guys, The Scene is WIP so thx for all your comments I will try to improve the named issues in my next iterations. atm there is no gloss and spec added to the scene. Somehow I like to add some rain later.
    I am aiming for something like this for the light mood:
    Landscape-wallpapers-desktop-background-desert.jpg

When I saw this pic, reminds me of my own artwork. I am feeling "artworkception" now :poly142:

I dont want to post it here, I feel ashamed. Btw, your scene looks awesome :)
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    I tried another light setup, Still little grey, I will focus on the color of texture later on.

temple_wip_27.JPG
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Since this is based off our modeling art test I wont comment on the actual work.

But I did want to say you should name your thread titles better than "an another temple scene CE3" That isnt appealing at all. When I first read it, it seemed that you were already uninterested with your scene since its just "another temple scene", so if your uninterested why would other people? Its the same thing a lot of people run into when making sci fi corridors, they just name it sci fi corridor. That isnt interesting, setting you apart or would make someone want to click to see what your working on.

You could have the most super badass temple scene ever but a lot of people might skip checking it out because the thread title sounds generic and boring and would assume so is the work. Even something simple like "Crumbling Overgrown Temple CE3" is a lot more interesting and I think would make more people inclined to take a peek.

Just some food for thought :)
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Autocon, you’re right with your point I guess. Probably it’s not the best idea for a title. I think I am also missing the “WIP” in the Thread headline to show it’s still in process to accomplish the temple scene presentation.
    For the next Thread I post, I will think about the headline more.
    If you don't mind I would appreciate some comments about the scene itself. Maybe PM: Thanks a lot
  • MaYdaY
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    latest progress shot of my scene. I was working a lot on the light setup and colors.
    I am still lack of proper gloss and spec maps for most of the materials. This is my next goal.
    temple_mayday_10.jpg
    temple_mayday_09.jpg
  • scotthomer
    Love this dude, I cant wait till the spec maps come through and everything falls into place. Looks lovely :D