Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiny Space- Iphone game dev

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
pitch.jpg

Hey guys... I'm making an iphone game. I've never coded before so so far it has been an interesting experience. But i have planets, and orbits and control of a little ship so far so im managing it.

The first image i made before i started anything else and the goal was just to get a rough feel of what the game could look like. The parts below is a better indicator on what i'm making though.

The idea is kinda kerbal space program in 2d, but with an emphasis on running a profitable rocket company, plus there will be a bunch of other changes (its going to be a lot more arcadey whereas ksp's focus is on fun simulation). So the idea is that you are launching satellites into orbit for profit to fund bigger and better missions. There will be a moon to get to as well as other stuff much father off.

In the next week i'm hoping to finish off most of the graphics in the game so i can focus on the coding as that will be 90% of the work in the project.

Also the name isnt final.

parts.jpg
characters.jpg

Replies

• JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Looks good, though with those character sketches I'd honestly avoid making a total clone of KSP - I'd say you could get away with imitating the gameplay or the designs, not both.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice style, one of the programmers at my work wanted to make an iphone version of ksp sorta thing too, I just let him know about this :)
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Looks good, though with those character sketches I'd honestly avoid making a total clone of KSP - I'd say you could get away with imitating the gameplay or the designs, not both.

Agreed, I think it looks sweet, but I'd avoid certain features that kinda define the kerbal character look (circular eyes for one).

Looking forward to this :D
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Well the Kerbals characters are really the main style of KSP. The rest of the game mosly looks like normal space whip parts.

And as someone hopelessly addicted to playing KSP at the moment. Muzz, please learn to code quickly so that I can play this. There needs to be more realisticy space games out there.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for a mod to notice that i posted this in the wrong section. I feel like such a forum rookie.

And yeah as far as the characters i wasn't even thinking of the ksp dudes when drawing these guys but ill make sure they aren't even similar ,tbh i was going for more of a chibi, chris sanders/rob laro thing, and these are just two crappy sketches.

I'm hoping that there is enough space nerd with phones that will want to play something like this. Though judging from the popularity of the latest curiosity mission i dont think thats much of a concern.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo It's in the right section now!
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like it could be something promising... what are you using to code? I'm like you when it comes to things with code.. I know enough to cause havoc :) But seriously if it's going to be 2D have you looked into GameSalad, Stencyl or Scirra Construct? All pretty nice "codeless" engine that can publish to iPhone.

Good luck!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Im currently using a game engine called moai.

I built a clone of pong to learn the language, and i have most of it down pat. I'm not really interested in code-less solutions as i want to learn how to code so i learn more :).

I already have part of the game working, I'm just taking a break and focusing on the art assets for a while, as i know i can get them all done in a few weeks time, unlike the code.
  • lildragn
    Offline / Send Message
    lildragn polycounter lvl 17
    Never heard of Moai, looks cool plus it's using Lua which isn't too bad.. Looking forward to see where this goes.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its pretty good. And lua is awesome. i just wish they got around to hooking up luajit, would be even better.

anyhow i think i have worked out all the parts that will be in the first release. Still need to paint most of them though, and then its the task of making broken parts for all these parts which will probably take a huge chunk of time.

One thing that i am shooting for is having the first rockets you build be tiny, but by the end you are building behemoths that are 20 times the size.

rocket-parts.png
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is looking great, Im looking forward to making some awesome rockets already :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Great idea!

Let's hope you learn to code really fast. Maybe seek some help from other ppl. Can't help you out with coding or 2d stuff, but if I could I would..
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I'm thinking about putting together a kickstarter... I wanna work on this full time.

Worked out there are a bunch of parts i still need to make as well. End caps, and a smaller rocket part size.

One of the end pieces ended up being too penis like so i'll have to redesign that one.

rocketsweb.png
  • companioncube64
    Lol, very cool I would get that app for sure. When is it going to be out even. Are you still working on it?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i just blew the dust of the prototype... Now i actually know how to code this beast.

Think tiny tower cross Kerbal space program in 2d.

I'm also thinking of possible crowd funding avenues, just to throw the idea out there, who would possibly be interested in funding this game?

I'll try and get some footage up of the prototype in the next few days.

Also forgot to mention, steam is the focus now, not iPhone.
  • gnixon17
    Offline / Send Message
    gnixon17 polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly, is this still happening?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. I appreciate the interest though.