Offline / Send Message
Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
click for wires

ofQs9.jpg

smzUB.jpg

ZHP8Q.jpg

EXeJj.jpg

RxwKd.jpg

been cranking these out to try some stuff with modeling + baking otherwise current-gen stuff for a lower spec than usual, and to try some scripted hotkeys as described here and to focus on speed in general. each one was averaging about 3 hours for hp through bake which is fairly good. i wasnt sharing parts between them but if i was thatd probably speed it up further too. the same lowpoly could easily be used for a few of these with only minor alterations, and some hp parts such as sights and triggers could literally be copy and pasted. but, that would have gone against the point of observing modeling speed.

some people in WAYWO wanted to see maps,

edit: maps now three posts down

thx 4 lookin :)

Replies

• Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Wow Realy Inspiring Man Good Job Plz show Ur Wire`s and Flat Maps
  • larolaro
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    I have to say that these are just incredible, top notch man!

*edited
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    here are all the maps for those interested

9ymcA.jpg

browning
    R0v4P.jpg

frommer
    vUOdn.jpg

glock
    CVjMu.jpg

m95
    duNH8.jpg
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    That is too cool.

I wonder how far you could optimize it with symmetry.
  • KarlWrang
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Wow! Really clean bakes, the only thing I'd complain about is the glocks scope. Shouldn't the expanding lens be turned the other way?

Incredible work still! :)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm speechless.Awesome work as usual! But this is way awesome. :)

Just wondering what kind of edge treatment you did on your hi-poly to bake into that much small maps?Or is there anything specific?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron wrote: »
    That is too cool.

I wonder how far you could optimize it with symmetry.
    right now symmetry is being used in a few places, mostly hammers and trigger guards with one exception (due to an asymmetrical bolt)

the thing with pistols is that theyre usually asymmetrical in that the slide will have an ejection port clearly on one side and usually the frame will have a safety and a mag release on one side. if one sacrificed these realistic details then one could mirror these very large elements and increase all elements by maybe 20% on the upper end (if even scaling was the goal). in these cases i did not feel inhibited by map size but if one tried to do this on a 128 or even a 64 it might become a very good idea. that said, since i was dedicating so much map space to the slides and frames, i made sure to add asymmetrical details in all of them, including some that were made up but which i felt had verisimilitude
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang wrote: »
    Wow! Really clean bakes, the only thing I'd complain about is the glocks scope. Shouldn't the expanding lens be turned the other way?
    i cannot be 100% sure, as i modeled according to reference but i cannot know whether the reference had the scope mounted incorrectly.

one mistake i certainly did make on that scope however was that I only modeled one knob. a friend corrected me afterwards; a second knob is needed as one controls elevation and the other windage. i did not correct this because the area where the second knob would have to go is already mirrored and i didnt think it was important enough to constitute reworking hp, lp, uv, and bake, but i do concede the error

also, thanks to everyone for the kind words :)
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    igi wrote: »
    I'm speechless.Awesome work as usual! But this is way awesome. :)

Just wondering what kind of edge treatment you did on your hi-poly to bake into that much small maps?Or is there anything specific?
    thanks igi, as to the edges, the most important thing is a rule that always applies to high poly mechanical work, which is that edges need to be real chunky in order to read well at a distance. since a map of this size is basically equivalent to standing like 10 feet away across the room its extremely important here
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    damn these look super clean for such small textures, nice work man!
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty awesome! Any way to take a peek at the High Poly's? I'm guessing you straight used max and used floaters for the dimples on the silencer and grips? Or did you mash those in with Zbrush? Great speed either way. :)
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    wow these are so pleasing to my eyes! wonderful bakes!
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    hell yah, love these! Thanks for sharing.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work, 3 hours including HP is pretty fast. How accurate would you say you went? Doing the cute proportions I guess meant accuracy already wasn't the top priority? I'm asking because I feel focusing on accuracy a lot (in details) tends to slow me down a lot, especially for guns.

btw love the shader setup you have there. My shader?
  • Hang10
    Can't compliment enough on the bakes. Good job.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Nice work, 3 hours including HP is pretty fast. How accurate would you say you went? Doing the cute proportions I guess meant accuracy already wasn't the top priority? I'm asking because I feel focusing on accuracy a lot (in details) tends to slow me down a lot, especially for guns.

btw love the shader setup you have there. My shader?

thank you - i was certainly trying for accuracy but there's also a few places where i specifically changed things, usually to get a better bake. a good example is the browning which has two changes i can think of - it actually has a proper rear sight in real life, with a gap that you're meant to sight through, but i greatly simplified the whole setup in order to model and bake it more quickly. it's also generally got that bar on the left side that goes through the grip on both sides, but i kept it on only one side in order to have as much asymmetry as possible, to capitalize on all the map space being dedicated to that.

some of the other guns are more accurate though, the frommer and the glock didnt have any intentional concessions and the 1911 and the m95 have i think one change each. there's also no accounting for mistakes i might have made, such as the scope thing i mentioned b4

choosing very small compact/baby guns helped in getting as much as possible out of the maps. the glock of course is the exception and it's definitely a bit blurrier due to squeezing more in (it's also the first one i did in this run)

the shader is 3ps but i doubt its anything that couldnt be done in yours, its just flat colors for diffuse and gloss, AO for spec, and AO for occlusion / reflection masking

e/ oh, one small accuracy thing i forgot to mention, many of these have reduced numbers of slide grooves that are also wider, so that they would bake and read better
  • Harry
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    bangin' like poppers keep them vest pockets hot
    bolton's my boy and you know the shit dont stop

incidentally, FROMMER
  • ericdigital
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    That's awesome, it's hard to explain but they have so much style. Great work!
  • RogerP
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    really nice job, bakes came out outstanding :)
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    solid work through and through. super readable shapes, don't think i've ever seen normals baked to maps/models this low and look so good. also excellent gun selections.
  • jmt
    These are great, especially for the map size and poly count. I'd like to see them textured, but I guess that wasn't the point of making these.
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    man these are awesome. great job!