Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lost Artist Work Thread

Replies

• Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    il add a few more polys in the lens just for you neil :) i dont see the point in enabling all the dx11 expensive wizardry for such a small issue - however im playing around with the DX11 stuff for the statues in the environment it sits, seems to be bringing them out really well hopefully get some of it more finished up soon.

cheers for the link but i book marked it aaages ago :P keep up old man!
  • burtonyang
    Great stuff. How did you texture the lens on the projector?
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    hey burtonyang, sorry i havent replied sooner no doubt you will never see this (i honestly didnt see the qusetion)

most of this was textured just in photoshop, i had enough maps from the high bake to mostly just slap it together. one thing i did do to add abit of interest was i baked a gradient from my high poly to my low poly to add abit of variation (like darker to lighter from top to bottom, and some horrizontal bits)
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys and girls of polycount

first of all, i appologise for the spam this is not 3D work or games in the slightest so please feel free to ignore this - however it is art none the less so its still relevant.

my girlfriend kim and her class mate helen have done very well in their studies and have been entered into the virgin media short awards - very cool stuff indeed! they produced a 1 minute 50 second short 2D film (which has already won another separate award elsewhere!) depicting a dynamic interpretation on the cycle of life, complete with giant robots and tree's with glowing fruit :)

these girls works astonishingly hard on this, especially given the short amount of time to produce an entire short film, and it would be fantastic that if everyone could take a spare second to give this a watch, any "likes" and "shares" would be incredible and highly appriciate by both myself mark (who helped with the post work and additional 3d), kim and helen (2d artists) and tim (music)

the amount of "likes" and "shares" are counted towards getting short listed, which would then win a chance to have professional backing by virgin and the BFI for a future project!

this is a second year university piece.... please follow this link to the full video

http://www.virginmediashorts.co.uk/film/2629/cycles

ofcourse we would love to hear as much feedback as we can aswell, let us know if you liked it or not

thanks very much polycount!

oh, and a few screen caps so you get a taster

579326_3989054049645_1524452264_n.jpg

560376_3989055769688_1324857086_n.jpg

156183_3989065249925_199274851_n.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    CE3 Corridor finished for now

first time learning the engine, a couple of nights work after hours

ce3_corridor_by_lost_artist89-d557l47.jpg

also the virgin media award short "cycles" is still open :) any and all likes/shares/feedback is highly highly appreciated
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    made some minor adjustments that make all the difference to this scene, any and all feedback would be highly appriciated :)corridorr_wip_03.jpg
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Freaking awesome work,i love it all.
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks very much J0420, any crit on anything? always looking to improve :)
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i think its about time i revealed this to the world....

this car has been the bane of my excistance for about 2 years - literally... started in max, then re-made countless times in maya using different methods each getting better and faster... it has been my "on-off" project which i have pushed aside and braught back up and its nearly done give or take.

i started making this around the time i was playing forza 3 alot, and it was just after Goldeneyewii so it was my intention to make 2 cars, about forza polycount and quality and have them chasing eachother through a japanese neon street..... i have done none of that (ofcourse not how ambitious...), instead i have a half finished car now slowly being put engine side. i have a half finished aston martin DBS aswell but that kind of went nowhere....

since then forza 4 came out and polycount went out the window with thier million poly lowest machines

ignore the glowing tubes thats me pissing around trying to get shaders/lighting/anything working in cryengine3

this is just a test, hopefully going to get more across soon to see what CE3 makes of it

291661_10151876222000531_743912797_o.jpg
    177860_10151876192480531_2104665611_o.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    i am really rubbish with anatomy so ive been doing some lunch time sculpts to try and remedy this
    anatomyarm.jpg

scaryskull_progression.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah, and ofcourse as always crits welcome and appriciated :)
  • e-freak
    the car scene looks great - if you render a cubemap of the scene once without the car in it you might get those tubes to give perfect reflections in the painting :)
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i was planning to do that when i figure out how :) at the moment its using dx11 reflections which kind of work but are some what grainy.

i agree with you though cubemap would look much better too once blured ever so slightly.

cheers mate!
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    alot more love needs to be put into the diffuse :] Tri count is about 500k which is still only half of forza so far but my interior is really rubbish so far

gtr_stage09.jpg?w=2000&h=
    gtr_stage08.jpg?w=2000&h=
    gtr_stage010.jpg?w=2000&h=
    gtr_stage06.jpg?w=2000&h=
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    love all your work man! and the GTR is looking swell!
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers dude! much appriciated :)
  • polyly
    Wow, looks good. but how about SSR or environment probe on car? Are you using them now? It makes great reflection. And you should use SSAA or high-res capture function of CE.
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    at the moment i just generated a cubemap of the environment with the car missing, and then gave it a quick tweak in photoshop to soften the lights/brigten/add more etc.... so abit of guess work really. Also, i am embarrassingly new to CE3 so i would highly appriciate any links to tutorials on what would make this better :) i wouldnt even know how to do those things you suggested. thanks so much though i will certainly look into it! (and yeah i agree, print screen is rubbish but it was all i had at the time)
  • Ehsan Gamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehsan Gamer polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work man . especially on texturing .
  • e-freak
    this is awesome! try to tick tessellation in the material settings though to help break the last few polygon corners left :)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work man! :)
  • DJ_Aaron
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Wow great work man, really inspires me
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good! love it!
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    well thanks very much chaps highly appreciated :) and cheers e-freak il give that a go! will i have to have some sort of displacement map to propagate this or will it interpolate?
  • e-freak
    it just interpolates. it really works like the mesh smooth in max, only thing is if you work with different smoothing groups it might create gaps. so best thing would be to keep everything smoothing group 1 and then bevel edges (or create an extra edge loop around the areas you want to keep sharp).
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    oh thats lucky its all 1 smooth group anyways :) (in maya so i havent sectioned it off to groups, man i miss max some times....) but thats awesome, cheers for that mate il give it a go!
  • pinkbox
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Tessellation+and+Displacement link for tessellation. you dont need a dislp map for Phong or PN Triangle tessellation.

how have you added the water droplets to the car? it looks cool :D
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks pinkbox for that link thats helped so much :) ! cheers for that il put it into practice soon

the droplets are just a tiled normal map in the detail slot, nothing fancy was just a happy accident i came across playing around with bits
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    wrote:

398081_10151134730900531_862050530_22415095_433694832_n.jpg

I was curious about this process...did you sculpt on this section seperately and then used projection master to apply it to the projector or did you just mask off everything on the projector itself and just started sculpting???
    The low poly came out really nice, did you retopologize in zbrush as well???
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    i will ofcourse be more than happy to answer any questions :) errrrr my process for this was to subtool it to hell. i think there is probably about 6/7 subtools in the back part alone, this ensured i could keep the polydensity high without murduring my machine too badly. in the end i had about 87million zbrush polys in this object - which granted 90% of those wont even get used but i built alot of it from scratch in zbrush using shadowbox, which doesnt give you "optimsed" geometry :) for bits i wanted to re-use i first modelled them on a plane, captured a alpha then stamped them around (such as the flowers, a few of the leaves etc.... for the vines, they were mostly hand sculpted painstakingly. as you can see, around the edge got abit blury due to poly density however lesson learned, and like you said its not TOO noticable....

i retopologised mainly in maya using either vert snap on a mid version exported from zbrush, or using the "make live" function (which does pretty much the same thing)

hope this answered your questions, any other feel free to ask away :) cheers!
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    much appreciated :) I'll try to adopt the workflow into my next class project :)
    oh, did you start the main shape in zbrush or a quick model and unwrap from maya to zbrush?

on a side note; did not know that shadowbox works like that....still a bit tricky to use for me, the masking off thing and all :P
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah shadowbox is abit tempermental and its good for quick stuff but not great for "accurate" geometry as it spaces your tesselation out equally. yeah for bits i made a quick maya version with re-inforced edges then took that into zbrush to sculpt on first - didnt bother unwrapping as i was always going to make a lowpoly one after (obviously thats the only one that NEEDS unwrapping)

no worries, best of luck with your project
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    oh! that reminds me...when you say "re-inforced edges" do you crease the edges in maya? I've always had trouble getting zbrush to recognize the hard edges in max when exporting.
    I would export say a cylinder and when it goes into zbrush to divide up, the edges would bevel no matter how many edge loops I put into it from 3ds max. I uncheck 'smooth' before dividing up in zbrush but then the edges of my cylinder creases. >.>
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    well there are a few ways of doing it :) i personally for speed just added a few edge loops to evenly space the divisions, and added a few around the edge to stop it folding in on itself HOWEVER im sure this is not the best way to do it as you end up with a large amount of polys on the edges of things. another way i found was to do a turbosmooth in 3DMAX with "keep smoothing groups" on, this way you could keep some of the shape. then when your happy with a reasonable amount of divisions, you could do a smooth in zbrush without the edges becoming too soft and folding in on themselves......
  • Notes
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    worked out nicely, thanks :)
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Cool render! How did you render this image? Any tips?

BERTIE_FINAL_00.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there occultmonk, glad you like the image :) rendred in 3dsmax using mental ray. in terms of the technical side of things, i rendered it in 2.2 gamma set up which gave me nicer reacting lights and better tonal range. arch vis materials, and nice high res textures. in terms of the art side of things, i really wanted to create a sense of depth and atmosphere so i chose my light set up wiseley, framing the image with a darker foreground. other that that not much i can really think to tell you :) anything in particular you were curious about?
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks for the reply. I am not that familiar with Mental ray (I use Vray most of the time). When you say 2.2 Gamma you mean that you use the linear workflow, so your textures are gamma corrected too? Are they gamma corrected in Photoshop or later in 3Dsmax.