Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Cavern City CE3

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
I've been working on this for a bit now. I'm not entirely sure if its done. There may be a few things to add/changes to be made still. Comments and critique welcome.
cavern_city_vanity.jpg

Additional Screenshots:

cavern_city_docks.jpg

cavern_city_closeup.jpg

cavern_city_crane.jpg

Replies

• wolver
    wow looks lovely : o got anymore angles on that?
  • choco
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Good job :thumbup:
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Bloom is destroying it a bit, and there's a little bit too much contrast and green tint. Although it would help if we could see a more higher res version, and more angles if possible.
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Haha, when I see it I though, "Hu, nice concept. Hope he get's close to it" ;)

Very nice! Please show us some closeups and breakdowns?
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I love this, very exceptional work. My thought though, is that the scale is off because the rocks are so massive. The ceiling is my biggest problem right now because the rocks wouldn't form like that. Where are my stalactites!!
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Nice, closer shots? Higher res? :P
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone! I'm glad a few people like it. For those who want other screenshots, I have to confess, its a bit of a Hollywood set crafted for the camera, lol. I may do a short little fly through (not really through, more like a slow dolly/pan prolly.)
    [HP] wrote: »
    Bloom is destroying it a bit, and there's a little bit too much contrast and green tint. Although it would help if we could see a more higher res version, and more angles if possible.

Wow Helder Pinto himself! Your tutorials are awesome! The bloom was actually something I fought with a bit. I can definitely see what your saying. The sky is actually already at extremely low brightness levels. I thought it looked weird even darker. It didn't have the same dramatic impact. Its pretty dark inside that cavern. The only other option I think would be to go for more of a night scene, which would be a bit of a different tone. I'm sad it kills the scene for you :(.
    I love this, very exceptional work. My thought though, is that the scale is off because the rocks are so massive. The ceiling is my biggest problem right now because the rocks wouldn't form like that. Where are my stalactites!!

You're not the only one to comment on the ceiling rocks. They are definetaly some concern. I was looking at this oil painter who did it in a cave painting of his. Bad idea I guess, lol.
  • DavidBrumbley
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidBrumbley polycounter lvl 8
    I really like the angle of the slanted wood in the foreground. I think having more extreme wood rotational angles would be amazing!!!!!!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome, thought it was a concept :)
  • Darkleopard
    I thought it was a concept aswell. Nice!
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Orchidface wrote: »
    Its pretty dark inside that cavern. The only other option I think would be to go for more of a night scene, which would be a bit of a different tone. I'm sad it kills the scene for you :(.

Hey buddy, it's not killing the scene for me, was just trying to point out a few things to make it even more awesome than it already is! :) Defo some of the best stuff I've seen in CE3 for a while, very arty for sure.

Keep us updated with more. :)
  • Animesh
    Wow this is really nice. It's perfect for a fantasy desktop background. :thumbup:
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Seriously! @HP this makes me very happy :).

I'm trying to do a fly through, but am having some technical issues with the ssr flickering horribly on the water when there is camera movement.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What do you mean SSR?

Btw, for better AA:
    r_postMSAA 2
    r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV 2
    r_PostMSAAInEditingMode 1
    r_PostMSAAMode 2
  • Strkl
    Offline / Send Message
    Strkl polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really amazing ! But like everyone said, it would be even more awesome to see closer shots ^^
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good, how about some more shots and maybe a video?
  • romy
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, i vote for closer shots too =)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why are you shy with the details? I can't make anything out, and the wood planks in the distance (unless it's a mip issue) seem really big.

Not so much are more angles as 'closer look plox'.
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    What do you mean SSR?

Btw, for better AA:
    r_postMSAA 2
    r_PostMSAAEdgeFilterNV 2
    r_PostMSAAInEditingMode 1
    r_PostMSAAMode 2

The ocean reflection I mean (I thought screen space reflection was the term, but now I'm thinking I'm mistaken). According to the crydev forums moving my project to 3.3.9 may solve my issue. I'll definetaly try that aa stuff though too.

Thanks for the comments guys! The city is only as fleshed out as needed to create an impression of a city from a distance. It breaks down upon a close examination. I'm working on a video though.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    the rocks could have formed like that if the ocean was once higher? maybe. lol. either way i love it!
  • njc6425
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    more pics or it didnt happen.
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally found the motivation to take a few more screenshots. I've added them to the original post. Its been a long time :).
  • nedwork
    OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG BEST ROCKS EVERRRRRR
  • sybrix
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    I remember this! Still looking great. Any chance of a breakdown of those rocks? I have an insatiable rock fetish. :P

Also how did you achieve that lighting if you don't mind me asking?
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ned and sybrix! I can say that one day there will be an extensive video tutorial on making rocks like these :). In short, they're zbrush sculpts decimated down to fairly high poly low polys with a detail normal (no high poly low poly baking). There are really only two clusters that are doing most of the work. They were made to look decent from every angle. They were then rotated, scaled, and jammed together in the editor to create massive formations.

As for the lighting, I'm using a ton of point lights of different colors, some negative lights. Basically I used the point lights to splash color around like a painter. I put green in the large space right of the pillar, splashed warm orange on the foreground as if the lights across the water are casting light. The point lights are subtle but make a huge difference.

The time of day settings were hours of messing around. I would mess for a few hours till I thought I had something, then save off the .tod file, rinse and repeat. In the end I compared them all and chose the one I liked best.

Hope that explains it a little.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know how old this thread is, but I wonder what a sunset version would look like.

Awesome work. It's so different and out there, reminds me of a concept that I saw and wanted to do. Haven't started it yet...maybe I will one day and try to capture the amazing atmosphere and detail you have here.
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how old this thread is, but I wonder what a sunset version would look like.

Awesome work. It's so different and out there, reminds me of a concept that I saw and wanted to do. Haven't started it yet...maybe I will one day and try to capture the amazing atmosphere and detail you have here.

Thanks! You should do it! Get started! I experimented with a sunset for sure. Wasn't as mystical.